“Located in great spot”

Capital City Grill Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Capital City Grill Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,055 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I really enjoy this restaurant because of it's location. It is in the heart of Downtown and next to the River Center in case you would like to catch a show before or after you eat. It's also next to the Hilton and very close to 3rd street where the main bars in Baton Rouge are. The food is predictable and I would not say my favorite. Deserts are good, however. If you like to try different drinks, I recommend the strawberry mojito.

There are newer reviews for Capital City Grill Downtown

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were driving through Batin Rouge and chose this because it was listed as one of BR's 10 best cajun restaurants on a search engine! This is probably a better place for lunch. We went for dinner. Heavy on the butter in sauces. My son had the chicken melt sandwich and Caesar salad; said they were excellent. I had the blackened chicken with rice and sugar snaps. The veggies were so overdone, that I didn't finish them. The rice was heavily buttered so I didn't finish that either. The blackened chicken was pretty good. My husband had the steak tenderloin salad. He ordered it cooked medium, but found it was very rare after the first tenderloin. Since he had mixed it up in his salad, he couldn't send it back to be cooked some more. He did not finish his meal either. The fried green tomatoes were pretty good, but the hollandaise was way too buttery; we scraped it off. The chicken and andouille gumbo was very good. Probably a better place for lunch; definitely would not recommmend for dinner.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

A bit noisy when there are a lot of people in the place. Acoustics are just bad. Everything else was great tasty food and good service.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I chose the Capital City Grill for lunch with my nieces after visiting the LASM and Old State Capitol because their website features a "kids' menu" that clearly states that kids' meals include a drink and a choice of sides. When the server asked for our drink orders, I told her that the girls would be ordering off of the kids' menu, so to bring them the size of drink that was included with those meals. She told me that drinks were not included. I asked to see the kids' menu. What she provided is not what is on the website; it does not include prices or the information about what is included (http://capitalcitygrill.net/menus/m_kids.pdf). So, I ended up paying for two additional drinks, and we were charged more for pasta alfredo with chicken than is listed on the website menu, so the meal ran close to $10 more than I expected. She also did not offer any choice of sides.

My mahi mahi sandwich was average, but certainly not worth $12.00. The gumbo was also overpriced at $$6.00 and was extremely salty.

It's a nice setting in a nice location with good service and acceptable, if overpriced, food, but seems to cater to adults, not families. I wouldn't go there again with kids.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

The food here is great and we had a great view of a park near the Mississippi River. It is convenient as I was working downtown that day.