“Good Value and Convenient Location”

Holiday Inn Baton Rouge
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed January 9, 2010

This Holiday Inn is conveniently located just off the freeway, and is at the time of this writing about a year old. If you're coming off the freeway, the turn for Constitution Avenue is very awkward and can be dangerous when there's a lot of traffic. It's much better to go down to Bennington (the next corner) make a left, then make a left at Jamestown. Follow the road and enter behind the Crown Plaza -- their parking lot is attached to the Holiday Inn's.

The lobby is modern and beautiful and was quite a surprise as this hotel is only rated about 2 stars. The front desk staff were extremely welcoming and friendly, and check-in went smoothly.

To make note, this hotel is smoking and non-smoking. We smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway on our floor and were informed by the staff that on each floor, there are two rooms situated on either side at the ends of the hall that are designated smoking. There was no cigarette smoke in our room as we were placed in the middle of a long hallway; I could see this being a problem if you're placed beside one of these smoking rooms; making one whole floor smoking would make better sense.

We got a standard room with a king bed, and the bed was high-end and extremely comfy, with a double-sheeted down comforter. The decor is sleek and modern, and look much better than on their website. The room is a bit tight and I suggest getting a bigger room if one plans to stay more than one night. It came with a spacious bar fridge and a microwave as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

The bathroom is pretty basic, which also means that there were no towel racks. Shower pressure could have been better. A nice touch is the Bath and Bodyworks shampoo and conditioner; however, it would be nice to have B and B soap as well -- bring your own soap, as the soap they give you is disappointingly cheap and could strip the paint off a car. When we checked in, the bathroom floor felt sticky, and I wore flip-flops which I carry when travelling for walking around the room in. My husband showered, and used the bathmat. When I pulled the wet bath mat off the floor, the bottom had red stains on it, which explained why the floor was probably sticky. I also noticed red stains and another stain on the carpet in the hallway entrance of our room. We called the front desk and housekeeping came prompty and mopped the floor. The room was otherwise clean. I'm hoping the red stuff was cleaning fluid of some sort ....

There is a very nice gym with high-end machines located in the lobby as well as a pool (non-heated) outside, plus a room where there's a computer, printer, and fax. There is also free wifi in the rooms; however I noticed it would log you off if you weren't using your computer after just a few minutes. On check-out, my husband noted a $5.00 "resort fee" which is charged daily. I may be wrong, but I did not notice this on their website. We were told this covered the swimming pool, gym and wifi plus free long distance calls from your room. None of this was discussed when we checked in either.

My husband informed the woman checking us out that the pool isn't heated (it was also about 37F outside) and we did not use the gym and so she agreed to waive the fee. I understand these days hotels need to charge this fee, but they should just put it into the room rate.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay at the Holiday Inn and would stay here again for the convenience. But I will continue to bring my flip flops ....

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2009

I found this hotel to be of an excellent standard, especially when you consider the price. It's clearly been refurbished recently and the staff are also very polite, combine these two factors and you're guarenteed a pleasant stay. I would definitely stay here agan.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Housekeeping staff UNTRUSTWORTHY!!!!!! Running late at checkout, my door would not open... after a long wait for someone to let me in, I grabbed my bags and left. In my haste, I left a very expensive accessory on the bathroom counter. I keep a very clean room, and this was the only item left on the counter. I called several times, for someone to locate it... housekeeping "claims" they never saw it.... IMPOSSIBLE. To top it off, I was promised a call back by several employees that I never got. Each time I called and asked for hotel manager... I got a different person. Once was even transferred to Housekeeping... again. Sad to say, that I do realize I would not get my item back, but an acknowledgment from them would have been to say.... Nice!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Its new, spacious, and clean. Didnt try the bar/restaurant, but set up is cool. You dont see many holiday inns like this. Stay while its still good. Staff was friendly and efficient. Heard a little noise in the hallways late at night but it was OK. I was there on a Sat nite so I expected it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We researched TripAdvisor before making our reservation. This was one of the top-rated hotels in Baton Rouge. But not in my book.

I was turned off when we entered the lobby - a vast, empty, sterile space with four chairs arranged on a small square of rug in the middle. The polar opposite of welcoming and inviting. The feature attraction is a shiny workout room with floor-to-ceiling glass to your right. If you don't want to work out, this space says "Move on quickly!"

Our room was small for 170.00. But the worst part was the vague smell of urine that kept drifting through all night. This was puzzling, as the bathroom seemed clean enough. I discovered the source of the smell the next morning, when I opened the enclosed shower door to be hit in the face with the overwhelming evidence that a previous resident had urinated in the shower. How had housekeeping missed this one? To their credit, the hotel staff quickly assigned me another room (the new one had soap caked on the vanity top, but this was better than the urine!)

The restaurant is a sportsman's paradise. One is surrounded by multiple, multiple large TV's - sports bar style. This is probably a great place for a sports-loving business traveler to relax after a hard day.

In short, we chose the wrong place, and we won't return. Maybe this would be a good stay for a young, hip, business person who wants to watch sports on TV, work out, and isn't picky about cleanliness if the internet is fast enough.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingSouth55
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Pros- We were very surprised and pleased with this new, upscale, modern Holiday Inn. This hotel is very clean and sleek and located near LSU as wll as many restauraunts on College Drive.The check-in was smooth and easy as was the check out. The front desk personnel were very professional both in their appearance and conduct. They were all very friendly and helpful. The room, a king suite, was huge with plenty of room to spare. Very clean room and bathroom with a very comfortable bed and a pillow menu. Huge bathroom, walk in shower, and jacuzzi tub big enough for two. Our room was right across from the elavators, which are very fast by the way, but we were never disturbed by outside noise. The price was a little high, 189.00 plus tax but it was a Sat. night with a LSU football home game. Great full gym but I wasn't aware just how good due to lack of info on the website. Read more on that in Cons.

Cons- Only a few and maybe a little petty but they should mentioned. First of all the website is very lacking. There are only a few photos and they do not represent the rooms or amenities well. If you are into working out then you will love this hotel but there are no photos of the gym on the website. I wasn't prepared and had to work out in my flip flops, no cardio due to no info on the website about the gym. It's a complete gym with a smith machine, free weights, a full range of dumbells, assorted preloaded curl (easy bars), assorted machines, treadmills and ellipticals with seperate t.v.s on each as well other equipment. Three 40 inch LCDs on the walls. You can get a full work out in this gym, 24/7. All of the equipment is new and in working order. Very impressive gym but a traveler would never know how good it is. In the room there is no pay per view and only HBO with about 65 cable channels. The room had an HD television but no HD channels. The last con is the ironing board and iron. I understand the theft issue but this is a little too inconvenient. The iron is attached to the square end of the board. This eliminates the use of that end of the board which made it very difficult and time consuming to iron. Very irriitating. The iron attaches to the board with an elastic, plastic cord that causes the iron to be unbalanced when placed on the board. I guess it will take a guest getting injured or burned for the company to reconsider this set up. Most of all the property needs more photos for their site.

All in all I highly reccomend this property. I will definitely stay there again but I will bring my own iron, 17 inch laptop to maybe watch a movie and additional gym clothes.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank chuckr35
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn three times since the beginning of June on business travel.

The hotel is brand new and very clean, and overall is a great choice in the area. The lobby is nice and open and the front desk staff are exceedingly polite and helpful.

The rooms themselves are quite nicely appointed, with choice of pillows and a nice desk area. There are plenty of electrical outlets all over the room which is helpful if you want to plug in your laptop / cell phone next to the bed! The climate control is nice and quiet and the cieling fan is a bonus, esp. in a city like Baton Rouge. My only issue with the rooms is that there is a HUGE gap between the door and the floor (lets a lot of light in at night), and on the last two visits my door would not dead-bolt, i think the building is probably settling a bit as it is new. As a female traveling alone, i think this problem should be addressed....security is high on my priority list.

One of the best features of the hotel is the fitness center! It is huge and well appointed, and each piece of cardio equipment has its own individual TV (very important when logging an hour on the treadmill). The room is big and bright and faces the pool, it is 100 times better than most other hotel fitness centers (and yes, i hit a LOT of them!)

My biggest gripe about the hotel is the wireless internet. I've found that if you stay on the 'ends' of the hallway, the connection is very spotty. If working from a VPN connection, you'll find that it constantly disconnects you. My computer froze up 3x the last time i was there because of data transmission issues. There is no wired access so the signal strength problem cannot really be worked around, unless you want to sit in the business center or lobby (probably OK unless you have a lot of work to do or want to conduct a netmeeting from your room). Ask for a room towards the center of the hotel and you should be okay...(management...please fix the internet...you'd get 5 stars if not for that!)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business