“Great Stay---but with some exceptions”

Holiday Inn Baton Rouge
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The hotel property was excellent... just remodeled with most new appearances everywhere. The staff in the hotel was perfect! The rooms were the best! Location was very convenient for downtown, LSU, City Park, great places to dine--plus, they welcomed our small dog. The only exceptions were the uncomfortable "round" bed pillows, no towel racks in the bath and some service issues with breakfast. The "free breakfast" was okay if you wanted eggs and sausage. There were no other choices such as fruit, cereal, yogurt, milk...etc There was no juice or water for self serve and you had to catch the one server which we finally did at the end of our meal. We asked for juice and water.....but he brought only one water; we gave up when he said he was having to work alone. I noted that a supervisor or manager was nearby but stayed on her cell phone the entire time. So, we skipped the "free breakfast" the second morning. We did have burgers and beer at the bar the first night and the service was extremely excellent and the food outstanding. All in all, we will be back and stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brazosparty

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked this room on 2/6/12, requested a non-smoking with a king bed and paid for 4 days in full.
Upon our arrival on 3/31 we were told we booked a smoking room with 2 double beds. Then they tried to give us a "treated" smoking room which smelled awful. I was practically in tears when the manager suddenly "found" our room but it was still being cleaned @ 8pm. We went in the bar while waiting for the room and the manager was nice enough to buy us a couple of drinks. On to the room, all was well, room was clean, nice big king bed and a lovely walk in shower. On the 3rd day of our trip we decided to check our bank account and got quite a shock. The hotel was charging us $89 a day for a room that was already PAID in FULL. They also "round up" any room services charges. Our room service was $44.64 (with tip) and they just conveniently round that charge up to $50. The first encounter with the staff they tried to say it was their policy to overcharge but the money would be put back in our account at the end of the trip. The 2nd encounter at check out the staff finally admitted they made a mistake and they only charge that would come out of the account would be $44.64. All fine and dandy but they took $406 from us during our trip they we could not access. If they had bounced our account I would have went thru the roof!!! Nice place but watch out for your money!!!

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face hwy 10 or you will hear the noise all night long.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cathie B
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I am in love with this property. It is extremely well managed and kept.

The lobby is large and bright. The staff are great and the rooms are extremely comfortable.

Will continue staying here when I travel.

1  Thank Grandmaster82
Reviewed March 29, 2012

To start off, I was very impressed with this hotel. From the staff, to the rooms, to the breakfast, everything was excellent.

I booked this hotel for the bowing tournament at the River Center. It's about a 10 min. trip down 10 and 110. As descibed in other reviews, there are a few restaruants very close by, gas stations, and a supermarket. So the location is perfect.

The staff - I don't think I've run into a nicer staff anywhere. Since I booked the hotel through the bowling website and was arriving late, I called the hotel to let them know. Turns out there was a reservation mix-up and they had me arriving a day before I did. Not sure who to blame, but the problem was resolved very quickly. When I arrived at abt midnight, they only had a two double bed available that night. So, my wife and I pretened we were Lucy and Desi and slept great. The next morning we spoke to the girl at the desk about a king room available. Said she'd check, so we ate at the free buffet (more on that later). While walking out, the girl at the desk stopped us and told us our room was ready.

Room - Very nice. Comfortable bed, microwave and fridge, clean and comfortable, nice LCD tv, coffee, spacious bathroom with good water pressure, quit A/C, nice view, free Wi-Fi. Couldn't ask for anything more, especially from the 2 or 3 star rated hotel.

Breakfast - Eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, grits, gravy. Very nice layout, and good too!! Much better then I was expecting!

Now, the section I call, could be improved. While there was not much to complain about. There's a couple of minor things to be aware of. First, which others have mentioned are the lack of towel racks. Lastly, the stand up showers in the king rooms...the glass does not have a rubber seal around the glass, so water leaks on the floor. Make sure you place a towel outside the shower to absorb the water. Not a big deal, just to make you aware.

Lastly - A special message to the staff. Thank you again for all you did. You were courtious professional, and very friendly. You left me with a great impression of the hotel, and the city of Baton Rouge. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelJoe31
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I loved this hotel! We chose it because it accepts pets with just a small deposit; the hotel itself would give no indication that it is a pet friendly hotel. It smells and looks brand new from the lobby to the room. Very clean. The fitness center is amazing - everything you need for a great workout plus a wonderful view of the pool.

What I liked best about the room was the ceiling fan over the bed. It's so nice to have air circulation in a hotel room - so few hotels realize this. I had a great night sleep because of it.

In a perfect location right off I-10, near plenty of good restaurants. We ate at Ninfas, just a couple doors down. The place was packed on a Sunday night at 9:30, which is a pretty good indication of the food. Good stuff.

They just recently opened a new restaurant/sports grill off the lobby, where they serve complimentary breakfast. I just hit the coffee bar, no complaints.

All in all, I give this hotel my highest rating!

1  Thank SarainTX
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel several times for business and have had a fantastic experience every time.. The rooms are exceptionally nice to comparably priced hotels in the area, always very clean. Front desk staff is always helpful. Decor is modern and quality looking. Restaurant is super sub par, but there are many quality restaurants/bars in the area to make up.

-most recent stay was 1/6/2012, I had checked in to a spotless room the day Before and have enjoyed the hotel so far. Went to dinner with clients then came back to the hotel and had a couple requests for the hotel staff (John tonight). Not only did John continue to answer incoming calls, but he also took care of our group's slightly ridiculous requests extremely promptly.....

If John were in charge, I would be very likely to choose this hotel again based on how helpful/professional he was for us.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are extra nice
2  Thank ccaraher
Reviewed January 9, 2012

They have a great bar/restaurant in the lobby. The rooms are spacious and modern. The staff was friendly. I will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business