“A Kentucky tradition”

Hall's On The River Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 71 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winchester, Kentucky, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Kentucky tradition”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

You haven't experienced central Kentucky if you have not eaten at Hall's on the River. The classic menu and beautiful views making dining here a treat. It is a versatile restaurant. We have eaten there for romantic outings. We've attended parties there. We've taken our small children, who particularly love to eat outside and feed the fish. Large portions of fresh local favorites will keep you coming back.

• Visited November 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Best beer cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Yes, the prices were a bit more than a chain restaurant but my husband and I were both very pleased with the overall experience. Staff is attentive without being annoying, the beer cheese is by far the best in Kentucky and we look forward to hopefully seeing their beer cheese back in the supermarket, appetizers were great, food was good - I will be more adventurous next time we go and try the chicken. Our catfish was good, pulled pork was also good and drinks were priced appropriately - bud light bottle $3.75. I would like to go back again for lunch this summer and enjoy sitting outside. This restaurant has history, atmosphere and, in my opinion, worth the trip we made from Harrodsburg :)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank politisem
Winchester, Kentucky
“Groupon Made is Less Painful!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went to Hall's with some friends because we had a Groupon. We used to go here many years ago quite often. The service was good. Food was fair. Portions fair. Drinks good. But the prices were outrageous even with a Groupon. We'd heard from someone that used to work there that they have two different menus for groupons or holidays. I used to absolutely love Hall's. It's not the same restaurant that it used to be. Very disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Melissat1934
Atlanta, Georgia
“LOVING GETTING LOST ON A WINDING SCENIC ROAD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a local mom & pop restaurant when we saw a hand painted sign...HALL'S ON THE RIVER red lettering w arrow pointing go right 1 mile. If you follow the signs, they will lead right to "HALL'S". Take a chance. Outside of building it looks questionable. Inside you feel like you have stepped into a mountain resort...great atmosphere. If Erica is your server hold onto your date. Stunning intelligent young lady whose knowledge of menu presented in a personable way like your sister is telling you what is their trademark. They could have served chocolate covered cement blocks to the men in the group. Erica casts a spell without even trying. Food very tasty. Suggestion only for the brave ... LAMB FRIES equals fileted lamb testicles...for real. And no one from my group ordered it. Negative side sign said "seafood" only had catfish on dinner menu. Lunch menu has more options. Worth a return trip to try the lunch menu.

2 Thank Mom2ArmyRangerMedic
Ashland, Kentucky
“Rating average is a bit of a stretch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Made reservations for 20 for a Sunday late afternoon the first weekend of November. Noticed when we arrived that the parking lot was empty. We had two tables of 10, with a server for each table. The food did not come out at the same time, and we had a fairly long wait. I noticed only one other table occupied while we were there. The food was average at best, but the price certainly was not. On my ticket were two adults and two children and our tab with tip was almost $100.00. This used to be a favorite place to stop when I was in the area, but I think I have made my last visit. Based upon the lack of a crowd that night, I am thinking others have come to the same conclusion.

• Visited November 2013