“Overwhelmed by groups”

Pine Mountain Grill
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Whitesburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boxborough, Massachusetts
“Overwhelmed by groups”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This place looks great, but they don't take reservations and we showed up with 16 and brought the place to a standstill on a saturday evening. the food took forever, with some people waiting for food after everyone else had eaten. I had a simple steak salad... the steak was way overcooked and cold. the wait staff was trying hard, but was overwhelmed.

I went back the next day with one person, and we waited for 15 minutes for a table (it was father's day and there were many tables open, but perhaps they didn't have enough staff) This time I played it safe and ordered the salad bar and chili- which still took 20 minutes get there.

The place was clean, the waiter was good, but I would not go there again.

• Visited June 2014

Hindman, Kentucky
“Two visits, but absolutely "NO MORE"!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The dining area was clean as was the rest-room, but my overall experience was pretty disappointing. PLEASE, READ ON.

The service was significantly slower than many similar sit down / family style restaurants. Worse is that it took 17 minutes for my party of three (3) to be seated. So for 17 minutes, I stood there in pain (not all persons are healthy) "waiting". PLEASE NOTE, **** NOTE ***** NOTE***** this 17 minute wait ------ WAS NOT---- because the dining area was full -- NOT AT ALL! It was also not because of a spill or wet floor, and was not because dining tables needed to be cleaned. This 17 minutes of "wasted time" that CAN NEVER BE RETURNED to me or OTHER PERSONS WHO MAY EXPERIENCE THIS, was "DELIBERATE and INTENTIONAL" to divert persons into their gift shop.(EXPENSIVE but some things were pretty low quality)

But once seated, (finally) the quality of my food was significantly less than I expected based on the price and I decided (while waiting) on my food (fish) to arrive (41 minutes) that I would not return to Pine Mountain Grill. However, three weeks later I was in Whitesburg, KY with several friends who wanted to eat and wanted to try Pine Mt Grill.

Being open minded and realizing any restaurant can have a bad day (possibly -- short staffed or new persons in training at my first visit?), I decided I would give them the benefit of the doubt and said nothing to my friends about my disappointing and VERY NEGATIVE first visit. Moreover,since the (41 minute) fish dinner on my first visit was only about a 3.5 -to- 4 on a scale of 1 -- to -- 10, I decided I would try something different this time and ordered Spaghetti with their "SIGNATURE SAUCE".

HAD I NOT BEEN WITH FRIENDS, I WOULD HAVE INTENTIONALLY CAUSED A SCENE BEFORE WALKING OUT!!! The "SIGNATURE SAUCE" was "NASTY"!

Based on the taste of this "SIGNATURE SAUCE", I honestly think someone mixed up several cans of -- POTTED MEAT with KETCHUP and threw in some RAW - CHOPPED UP - ONIONS AND PEPPERS, with some CRUSTY - BURNT HAMBURGER meat.

Not only do I plan to never be back at Pine Mt Grill, In Whitesburg, Ky, I would like to discourage others from eating there as well. As stated above, any restaurant can have a bad day, - be short staffed, have someone quit and walk out, or any number of things. BUT WHEN YOU PAY a Cracker Barrel or Olive Garden price for your food, you expect that food to be similar in quality!

TWO VISITS ARE ENOUGH FOR ME, AT THIS, "CRACKER BARREL WANNA-BE".

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Fred T
Whitesburg, Kentucky
“Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

The decor is gorgeous the food is good but the service is poor don't recommend going as a large party or on Sunday

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mia6788
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
“View the Mountain, AND the grill!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Taking the drive across pine mountain, one of the highest mountains in KY is a great way to spend a Saturday, but be sure to stop at the grill at the foot of the mountain. The food is made to order, and the menu options have you feeling like you have stopped in a gramma's house (there is cornbread and beans on the menu)!! The building is amazing, with a log cabin type feel, and to top off your trip, stop by the grill store on your way out and by a postcard to remember the trip! Fun for the entire family!

• Visited November 2013
Cornettsville, Kentucky
“barbecue slaw sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Pine Mt Grill is large log cabin restaurant with specials everyday. I love meatloaf day but my husband loves turkey day. One of the best sandwiches I've had in awhile is the barbecue slaw sandwich. It is pulled pork in Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce on fried corn bread with cole slaw on the barbecue. Delicious!

• Visited December 2013