“Less than expected” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wallace Station

Wallace Station
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Versailles
Cuisines: American, Soups, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wallace Station, just outside Midway in the heart of Bluegrass horse country and on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, is a scenic stop for homemade sandwiches, soups, salads, an irresistable bakery case, and breakfast.
Midway, Kentucky
“Less than expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

This was recommended to me and after checking out the reviews on Tripadvsior, I had to give it a try. I am not sure what all the hype is about. First of all, they are supposed to offer hamburgers, but when we entered there was a sign stating they were not available. That is a big negative for us as my husband is not a big sandwich eater.
I have some issues regarding food handling practices and cleanliness behind the counter. It sure would not get Gordon Ramsay's seal of approval for cleanliness. The sandwich grill machine was caked with old grease. The person taking orders to tables was also given the responsibilty of putting potato chips on each plate. She did this with her bare hands (i.e. no gloves) and she did not wash her hands prior to handling them. She had to go in out of a door to serve people outside, with her hands touching the door knob which all the customers had touched --her hands were not clean. Then she dipped her hands into a bucket of chips.
The sandwiches were tasty and served on excellent bread. My husband ordered white bread but he was given whole wheat. They were ample in size. However the serve yourself fountain for soda was out of all diet soda. We decided to share a large brownie that cost $5 each. We took it home and found out that it was stale. If I pay that much for a brownie, I expect it to be puggy fresh, not crunchy and crumbling.
All in all a disappointment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Great roadtrip from Louisville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

After visiting Equus Run Vineyards and Winery, we stopped here for lunch not really knowing what to expect. The sandwiches were hearty and delicious on incredible wheat bread. We knew the food was going to be good before we were served, as the line was out the door 10 minutes after we ordered. Can't wait to go back in the Fall to see if they're serving Kentucky burgoo.

Baltimore
“Lovely lunch, great sandwich.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

I recommend this for sure if your day includes touring the beautiful farms in Versailles or if you're just make the trip out from Lexington to do a driving tour. Just a charming little place with indoor and outdoor seating and generous sandwiches. I had the Cubano....delicious...my companion had the lamb stew, which she said she enjoyed. The price for a sandwich, served with chips and a drink, was around $10. I planned a stop here based on the reviews on this site and it worked perfectly with doing a late morning tour of Old Friends, then stopping at Wallace Station for lunch en route to Three Chimneys (about 2 miles away) for the afternoon tour. Just lovely.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
“Near Three Chimneys, Incredible Sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

If you are going to tour Three Chimneys Farm to see Smarty Jones, you MUST allow time before to have lunch here. Four of us ate here and they were the best sandwiches I can remember. Butter-toasted home-made whole grain bread helped! It had a lovely light texture. I had gourmet grilled cheese, others had chicken salad and other goodies. We wanted to come back for the Bourbon Ball Ice Cream, but we were too full. But we will be back!

This is run by the same family who have the Holly Hill Inn, probably the finest restaurant in the Lexington area. So it's no wonder it's good.

This is listed as being in Versailles, but it's really in Midway, just down the road from Three Chimneys.

1 Thank Dreamsinger
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The sandwiches & desserts are fantastic, but nothing compares to the Monday night fried chicken dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008