“Oh my God it was a great experience !!!”

Woodford Reserve Distillery
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Versailles
More attraction details
Owner description: Bourbon distillery
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Oh my God it was a great experience !!!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

If you love to drink whiskey and bourbon but do not know the difference between, you should come to this place. I went there when I was on vacation during Thanksgiving, there are not much to do in Kentucky, some caves, zip lining etc.. But there is one thing you MUST do is to take a tour of historical Bourbon Trail which includes world wide known distilleries like Jim Beam or Wild Turkey at the same time other distilleries like Woodford. The actual tour is about couple days and there are few companies which arrange those tours, however you can also get on the car and drive on the route, visit the distilleries. I actually knew about Jim Beam and Wild Turkey however I have never heard of Woodford before (my mistake!) I did not have much time so I have decided to visit only Woodford Distillery after I was served a glass of Woodford Reserve by one of the friends at my friend's house. I am glad that I did, Woddford Distillery is amazingly beautiful, it is in Versailles KY, the information on tours could be found on their website, the one I took was about an hour, I have learned a little bit of the difference between whiskey and bourbon. During the tour we have met Duncan who is the actual disteller now, he does all the distillation, we were informed of the distillation process, we have also met few foxes who are actually bottling the Woodford, Edward is the guy who opens those oak barrels and let the delicious bourbon out, the smell of sour mash, oak barrels, the bourbon was amazing, after the tour you can taste their delicious Woodford reserve and bourbon chocolate, there is also a gift shop where you can buy up to three bottles of bourbon, chocolate, bourbon based sauces, sweets, cocktail mixers, t-shirts, hats etc. You can also meet the Bourbon Bill who knows everything about the bourbon and whiskey, I have a picture of him with me!! Finally I recommend you to taste their Double Oak bourbon it is absolutely delicious!!!!

Visited November 2013

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of the distillery tours..”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Woodford Reserve does a great job in showing you the process of making bourbon. Their facilities are smaller and more hands on. The employees are proud and eager to show their work. In addition, the location is in the most idyllic part of horse country, which adds to the ambiance of the tour. The bourbon is excellent as well.

Visited October 2013
Western NC
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Beautiful Historic Site!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was one of the most beautiful distillery sites we visited on the Bourbon Trail Tour. The setting is spectacular and the old limestone buildings are different than any other distillery. It was an intimate tour and somewhat hands on. They still fill the oak barrels by hand, which is a nice touch in this age of technology. Of course, they have their own distilling techniques they think makes their bourbon the best. It is the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby. Their bourbon is good but not my favorite, however, this is a fantastic tour you shouldn't miss.

Visited April 2013
kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The best of the best!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Woodford County is the most lovely of all Kentucky counties...don't miss this stop! Be sure and get a map of the horse farms and drive our roads....

Visited October 2013
1 Thank cfordon
Versailles, Kentucky, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must see”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I live in Versailles ( Woodford County ) . I have never heard anything negative about the distillery . It is especially beautiful in the spring & summer months , but beautiful any time . It is educational as well as fun .

Visited April 2013