“Buyer Beware!!!!!”
Review of CastlePost

Ranked #25 of 47 Restaurants in Versailles
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Where to begin... I have read other reviews on here and let me begin by saying I grew up in Ky but lived overseas for a few years. The owner thinking that the problem is his guests are not sophisticated enough is not accurate. I have lived in Paris, London, Chicago, and Austria. The food is inedible. The staff was polite but not adequately trained (especially for the ambiance they are trying to portray). Some of our party only did the three course dinner while others did the five. The kitchen obviously has timing issues and they were not that busy. I do not know where the chef is from or where they received their training but the food was awful. I had the prawn 1st course which was served over polenta in a tomato broth. I took 2 bites and that was it. I like prawns and polenta so I knew what I had ordered. The taste was terrible and the texture of the prawn was overcooked. My husband had the Portabella frites which were okay but then again most deep fried things taste good. 2nd course was an Avocado and crap soup. Now I knew this was a chilled soup and I have no problem with that but this was disgusting. It had chunks of celery on it that made the taste too strong and the crunch interfered with the overall texture. 3 bites I was done. My son had the Arugula, watermelon and feta salad which was decent. At this point 2 of our dining companions had things floating in their water glasses. Main course I had the Lamb chops over goat cheese mashed potatoes. The Lamb was not bad it had a nice charring to it but the potatoes were inedible. I ordered items I have had before and knew I liked so I was surprised at how bad things tasted. I ate 1 chop and that was it. The cheese plate was next. Living in Paris I was really looking forward to this because that is always a nice touch. 2 tiny slivers, one of Brie and the other cheddar. Neither good and the crackers were old and stale. The dessert course I ordered the Crème Brulee. I absolutely love crème brulee and was so happy is was on the dessert menu. What a gigantic disappointment. The taste was horrid and it looked as if it had been flamed sometime ago and it was not creamy as is should be it had stiffened too much. Not even a full bite that made me shudder and I had to push it away. By the way if you would like to know what an excellent crème brulee tastes like go to Jonathan's Restaurant at the Gratz Park Inn. His butterscotch Crème Brulee flamed with Grand Marnier is fabulous!!! I was one out of our large party and everyone had the same experience. No one ate much other than to taste and then push away the plates. We spent the 3 1/2 hour dining experience in disbelief hoping one of the courses would be good. None of them were. We paid a hefty sum (almost $800) for food we could not eat. The only good thing was the coffee. We did notice the chairs were plastic and the chargers had dollar tree price tags still stuck to them. I would never recommend this place and will never return and neither will any of our other dining companions. We were starving when we left. For a fantastic dinner always spot on I would recommend Jonathan's, The Holly Hill Inn, and the Merrick Inn.

5  Thank 78pedalnote

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This restaurant is as pretentious as it is amateurish and simply a bad experience.
We had a 15 wait after getting our menus for any service to begin.
The butter as well as the smallest portion of sorbet were served on warm saucers which caused them to melt.
The chairs are small uncomfortable" event" chairs.
The silverware (tableware) is of dime store quality.
The fois gras was out of a can.
The steak main course was good, but the single scallop as a main was a little too meager.
The hostess who poured the wine didn't know how to do it.
The staff is very inexperienced which makes a knowledgeable diner very uncomfortable.
It seems that the owner,who constantly asked if everything was ok (when it wasn't)thinks that his patrons are not sophisticated, and that this place is the most chic spot in the area.
It is expensive and really bad.
Stay away for The Castle.

8  Thank miamisaks
Reviewed August 23, 2012

attended a reception here in April 2012. can definitely recommend the food and service. delicious! the dining room we were in and the different rooms on the first floor were nice enough. we should have booked a room for the evening as well.

1  Thank jai_lu