“Amazing family get-together!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of A Storybook Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
A Storybook Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Versailles B&B and Inns
Charleston, West Virginia
“Amazing family get-together!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

First of all, I am NOT a B&B type person. But my 3 sisters are. We gathered from California, Virginia and West Virginia for the first Christmas we have all been together in years. What an amazing place. Elise is a master of her craft of inn keeping. We stayed in the guest house so we would have a place to gather and not bother others (we can be a little loud when we all start talking at the same time!) This 3 bedroom HOME was perfect. Well appointed kitchen (in case we chose to cook), the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in, fantastic furniture, air-jet tubs in all 3 bathrooms, and the decorations for the holiday were perfect! It is an easy walk to the restaurants and shops of Versailles. Even in the dead of winter the grounds were beautiful.

Now on to breakfast...there are simply not the words to describe it. Fresh fruit, freshly squeezed OJ, the best bacon I have ever had in my life in addition to a delicious breakfast dish that I didn't get the name of with asparagus and cajun sweet potatoes. The second day I had french toast so fantastic I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Thank you Elise and staff (Sarah...you are the sweetest thing!) We are planning a return trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank horsinaroundwv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I took my mother to the Storybook Inn for their Christmas Tea. It was easily the best I've ever been to. The rooms - living room, hallway, conservatory- were beautifully and cleverly decorated for the holidays. Everywhere you looked you saw little touches that added to the overall ambience. The food was delicious and well presented. I had Earl Grey and my mother the orange cinnamon tea. Both were very good, but I would've liked to have more of a selection. My only other negative comment was being tucked away, the two of us, in the living room by ourselves. Away from the revelry of the other guests. The food was plentiful and beautifully presented. A top notch class act. I would love to go back and stay sometime when it's warm enough to enjoy the grounds which looked beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012
Dayton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all, the grounds of this circa 1830 estate are restful, quiet & peaceful. A Storybook Inn itself is absolutely beautiful with lush, yet comforting public rooms on the first floor, a gorgeous conservatory in which to partake of breakfast or afternoon teas when offered (Christmas as example). The second floor suites are wonderfully themed from films and decor is chosen to reflect the theme of each suite. The suites (we stayed in the 'Casablanca' Suite) not only have charm, but the utmost in comfort with access to a refrigerator, coffee/tea station, and snacks on the floor and wonderfully comfortable beds, fine linens, and plenty of room with sitting areas to relax with a book, a drink or watch TV or a DVD/Video.

Now to the ultimate breakfasts! The delicious breakfasts are organic & as healthy as they come. The food is outstanding, at least everyday we were there (4 days) with the best breakfasts one could imagine! Much of the food contents are from local farms/vendors and the selection is awesome! Relax, indulge & look over the gardens from the conservatory, bathed in sunlight.

We have traveled & stayed in some fine hotels & B&B's in the US and the UK, but this is the best B&B in which we have ever stayed in the US. It is in the midst of horse country, amid the rolling hills of beautiful Kentucky near Lexington. There are many historic sites to explore, villages of shops (also antiques) and restaurants in which to indulge yourself.

Although we didn't have the time, Elise can also arrange a massage for you as well as dinner reservations at local restaurants. I may be forgetting some of their amenities, so it is best to check the website for A Storybook Inn.

Lastly, the staff is excellent. The Innkeeper, Elise, does a splendid job and is the epitome of Southern charm and warmth. The rest of the staff along with Elise will be sure to make you feel nurtured and rested and their pride in A Storybook Inn shows in their faces & actions. This is a place of warmth, comfort & a respite from the world and I cannot highly recommend a stay at A Storybook Inn in the countryside of Kentucky!

Room Tip: The Casablanca Suite was on the second floor and a good size complete with a sofa & chair at the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Please DO NOT HESITATE to make your reservations and stay at A Storybook Inn if you are in the Lexington area. The attention to detail, level of service and wonderful dining are just the start of what we experienced. Elise, Veronica and the staff made a stress-filled previous 3 months melt away upon arrival. It is our new destination location when visiting the Blue Grass State!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

A Storybook Inn is named perfectly. This is a charming B&B. It has been beautifully restored and updated. It is extremely well maintained and many details have been met. The rooms are beautifully decorated with warmth and flare. Elise, the owner, brings her own warmth and flare as well. She is committed to providing her guest with the hospitality of Kentucky. You will absolutely drool over the breakfast she prepares. We loved our stay and we were just so comfortable there. This is a B&B you don't want to miss if you are anywhere near Versailles.
You will come away with wonderful memories of great joy and pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fivebirds55555
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am the naturally suspicious type. If something sounds too good to be true then I tend to think that it is. My wife and I booked a recent six-night stay at the Storybook Inn on the back of a great many superlative reviews on Tripadvisor and yet at the same time I was expecting to discover that many of the accolades about the Inn had been somewhat exaggerated. They were not. Everything about this establishment oozed quality. This is was true Kentucky hospitality at its very best.
We only had a brief meeting with hostess Elise Buckley shortly after our arrival as she was just off on a no doubt well-earned short break to re-charge her batteries. But Susan and Jim Bickelhaupt who took over the running of the Inn during her absence were delightful ‘substitutes’.
Susan and Jim told us that they’d been temporary inn-keepers at about 30 prestigious Inns over the past 12 years, and it did not take long for us to discover why they are so popular. Susan’s sumptuous breakfasts, different on every day of our stay, were a veritable work of art – and delicious at the same time. She also took care of my special dietary needs.
Before making my booking I had read the detailed descriptions of the suites on the Inn’s website and, as a result, we opted for the luxurious Somewhere in Time suite. This was only available for the first two nights of our stay, but those two nights left a really lasting impression. My wife and I felt like millionaires in this huge suite, enjoying in particular the ultra comfortable 4-poster bed and the two-person whirlpool tub.
For the next four nights we stayed in the equally deluxe and tastefully furnished Casablanca suite, which also had a whirlpool tub. It was different in many respects to the Somewhere in Time suite and we enjoyed in particular its Moroccan style, and a very comfortable sleigh bed. My wife later commented that the beds in the two suites were probably the most comfortable we had ever stayed in away from home – and we’ve stayed in many good quality hotels in the US and Europe.
The Inn, which has undergone major renovations during the past couple of years, was an ideal base for our visit to the Bluegrass area. It only took a very short time to reach the racetrack at Keeneland, (which we did on two occasions), the Woodford Reserve bourbon distillery and the Three Chimneys Horse Farm. Incidentally, the scenic drive from The Three Chimneys to Keeneland, past many well-manicured horse farms, was one of the highlights of our stay. We also found it an easy drive from the Storybook Inn to the Kentucky Horse Park, Shaker Village and Berea Crafts Centre.
We visited Kentucky during early/mid October and we were able to enjoy the magnificent changing foliage throughout the region. This alone was well worth our round-trip from Wales of some 8,000 miles.
My wife and I are not financially well off but on the rare occasions that we are able to get away for a vacation we like to be able to stay in somewhere special. The splendid Storybook Inn, in a wonderful setting and with its numerous facilities, met our criteria perfectly.

Room Tip: If it is available then I would recommend you go for the Somewhere in Time suite. It was pure opulen...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Tn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I wanted to take my wife somewhere special for our 30th wedding anniversary, and I will say I am very hard to impress. I searched online for just the right place and I found it at the Storybook Inn! We had never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before, so I was a little nervous about it. But upon driving up to the Inn, I knew I had chosen well. We walked through the front door and WOW.....it blew us away! Elise, the owner, took us through the house and then to our Somewhere In Time suite, and after Elise left, my wife cried with happiness. That said it all. Then, the breakfast each morning....one word...awesome. Again, it was the perfect place for us. The landscape outside, the elegant music playing downstairs, the food, the atmosphere....perfection. We stayed 3 nights, we did not want to leave. The pictures online are good, but really they do not do the Inn justice. Elise and Veronica who served us each morning were a joy to be around. We are already planning another trip as soon as we can. Again.....perfection is all I can say. Larry and Amy Rhodes/Tennessee

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
Hampton Inn Frankfort
Hampton Inn Frankfort
#1 of 10 in Frankfort
Rabbit Creek Bed and Breakfast

Been to A Storybook Inn? Share your experiences!