“Overated and Overpriced”
Review of CastlePost

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Versailles
CastlePost
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Overated and Overpriced”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I would like to start off saying that I would consider myself and my husband easy to please and always try to make the best out of our travel experiences. We have been fortunate in traveling to many hotels and B&B's over the years and unfortunately this was not one of our favorites.

Positives: All hotel professionals we came into contact with at the castle were pleasant and helpful. We were the only guests in this B&B which was a little odd, but they did upgrade us to a suite which we appreciated! The lobby was pretty and the scenery of the horse farms around the castle was beautiful.

Negatives: Due to the extremely high price of the rooms and the hype of the great food I expected top notch service, amenities, and room quarters.
1) Upon calling to reserve the room I asked for a confirmation of the reservation. I had to call and ask a second time, because they forgot to email it. When I finally received my email confirmation I asked a question and they never responded. Needless to say before I even entered the castle I had a bad taste in my mouth.

2) Upon entering the front door of the castle we noticed the 2 large flower planters knocked over and laying in the entry way. We walked around the grounds and noticed the rod iron gate to the pool knocked over and laying down. They also had basketball courts but the courts had no basketball poles. It appeared the grass had not been mowed recently. In all it just looked like the grounds had not been kept up well. It gave you a feeling like this property wasn't doing well.

3) Upon entering our suite we noticed there was no soap to wash our hands. When we asked for some the front office promptly told us the shipment for the soap hadn't come in yet and the only thing she found for us to use was a box of irish spring.
4) We pulled back the bedspread and found hair on the pillows and inside the sheets. This wasn't one or two hairs, but quite a few. Again, we notified the front office and they promptly moved us to the room across the hall. We again found a couple of hairs but decided to deal with it because we were tired. In any establishment cleanliness is number one, but you really don't expect something like this an upscale property like this.
5) I heard a lot of great things about the dinner and was looking forward to a memorable meal. From the information I recieved and the literature I read I was expecting a top notch meal considering it was $180 for 2 of us without tip or alchohol. I consider myself a foodie and was looking forward to an exquisite meal. Upon sitting down, we learned we would be the only guests dining in the resteraunt. Again, a little strange but we figured it would be a nice romantic evening. My husband does not drink, but I was looking forward to a wonderful glass of wine with my dinner. in their literature they say this is a wine inspired dinner so I assumed they would have many wines to choose from. The only choices I had is if I wanted a whole bottle. For wine by the glass my choices were a cabernet and chardonnay. I was stunned. When I asked where the Cab was from she brought out the bottle and it was obvious this was a cheap wine. Needless to say I ended up without drinking anything except water. Very dissapoitnting that a resteraunt that prides themselves on quality cannot even provide options for wine by the glass. The first course was one piece of so so sushi and a quail egg. 2nd course a tasty but tiny tomato bisque with tempura fried aspargus on top. Again, they said they will only use the freshest ingredients for the season. Aspargus is a spring vegetable not fall. Very strange. 3rd course 3 tiger shrimp with a roasted red pepper coulis and avocado served in a martini glass. To me this should have been chilled but the coulis was still a little warm. 4th course Beef Bourginion with 2 yummy roasted carrots and brussel sprouts and very heavy potato gratin. Palette cleanser of lemon sorbet and for dessert a very heavy chocolate pot de' creme and some petit fors. Overall the dinner was good, some parts were delicious, but I do believe this did not constitute the 90 price tag. It almost felt like they cut corners because the hotel was empty. However, when you pay that kind of money I expect the best and in my book this was false advertising and a complete rip off.
6) Upon checkout we requested a copy of the bill and she came out a with a little reciept. I asked her if we could have a copy of that and she looked around and said they don't have a copy machine. Ummm... you have got to be kidding me. When we walked out the front door the potted plants were still knocked over. I guess that kind of sums up our experience.

I wrote such a detailed review because I would like future guests to get a clear picture of what we experienced. This probably sounds a little crazy, but when you pay so much you expect the best and this was far from it. I hope the owner takes notice of the review and either reduces the prices so the standards don't have to be so high or they get their act together. Why pay this price when you can drive an hour west to Louisville and stay in one of the best hotels in the world the 21C for a lower price and much better food and service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank WanderlustinCincy

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband surprised me with a stay for our anniversary. Unfortunately, we had to postpone our original reservation, but they gladly rebooked us. We have watched this behemoth being built for 30 years. It's past is checkered, to say the least. What a wonderful addition to Kentucky's travel repertoire to have this upscale, yet friendly and welcoming property available to all.

The Castle Post sits on 40 acres of land close to Lexington's airport and historic racetrack, Keeneland. The property has tennis courts, a large swimming pool, basketball court and fountain areas outside. On the top deck, there is a shuffleboard court. Indoors, there are several sitting areas, a library, a game room with plush reciiner chairs and large TV, a music room with piano, a banquet hall, a huge entry hall with a gorgeous staircase and a lovely dining room with low amber lighting. They operate a small bar in the lobby before dinner as well.

Before we arrived, we were sent a menu and asked to choose our dinner. The gourmet dinner is included in the room price. Upon checking in, the delightful manager Rob Thomale told us that the owner had expectations of this inn being more of a B&B atmosphere, where guests could dine together if they chose. They were expecting 5 couples for dinner and if anyone nixed the idea, we would eat separately. Luckily, we all agreed to banquet dining and we made 8 new great friends! Many of us were celebrating special events and we had a wonderful, lively dinner. The food and presentation were top notch.Chef Cameron Irvin graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in 1996, and worked work at the Woodstock Inn in Vermont.He worked with Hubert Keller at Club 19 at Pebble Beach. . He also worked in Paris, France for Philippe Groult at Amphycles, a Michelin three star restaurant. He worked in Monterey before returning to Lexington, his hometown. Obviously, the inn has invested much to portray this chef's talents and I expect that this will become a dining destination worthy of national acclaim. It was a dinner that ranks in my top 10. After dinner, I was allowed to play the piano ( my profession) and we had a rollicking singalong. Nothing stuffy about this place!

Our room was beautiful- a nice sitting area , a huge bed (very plush) and good shower head. L'Occitane products were available. The only drawback was the positioning of the TV. You didn't have a couch or chair, the only viewing was from the bed. The room was actually a bit small. I'm not complaining, though.

In the morning, I enjoyed a refreshing swim in the large, clean pool. There is also a hot tub on thetop deck.. Breakfast was Continental- juices, coffee, muffins, coffee cake and wonderful fresh fruit.

This is a perfect destinations for weddings, romantic weekends, etc. The staff is wonderful, the place is warm and inviting. We LOVED it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LLindaC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Versailles
The Campbell House
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#44 of 71 in Lexington
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington

Been to CastlePost? Share your experiences!