“Fun for the kids”

Big Bone Lick State Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Union
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Bone Lick State Historic Site is recognized as the birthplace of American vertebrate paleontology for it's significant role in the development of scientific thought regarding extinction and the relationship of geology and paleontology the world over. The park has been named a National Natural Landmark by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior. The park is famous for its combination of salt springs and late Pleistocene bone beds. Ancient creatures like the mammoth, mastodon, and ground sloth prehistorically visited the mineral springs, swamps, and bogs that are now grassy plains covered with trees and shrubs.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The kids loved seeing the buffalo and walking the trails. There's a large playground, lots of picnic area, a store, museum, etc. We didn't camp, just went for a day trip.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Very small museum area and gift store. The lady at the gift store was awesome! lots of information and recommended trip to Rabbit Hash up the road. The oldest surviving general store from floods on the Ohio. We were there three days after the birth of the newest buffalo. There are double fence with a rope set back away from second fence. The walk near fence by buffalo can get very muddy but look for side trail through forest area and you can get to the end. The grass if rather tall and double fence makes it difficult to see buffalo,, nothing like picture on website. There were only a few when we were there. If you want a better look at buffalo would recommend Land Between the Lakes. You can get much closer and more of them. The little area with "mammoths" kids will love small but lots of information if you read the placards. Overall if you are in the area don't miss, but not worth a long haul to see.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I really enjoy this little park. The bison are fun to see and the trails are good for my 3 year old. I also have friends that can't do extensive hiking so it suits them well too. On this evening, I seen two bluebirds, a frog and a deer in addition to the bison. The scenery was nice as well. We were there for a picnic but went up to the campground store to get an item we forgot. While there we checked out the campground for a future trip. We were pleased with what we seen and plan to go camping soon. The only issue we had were the lack of grills in the picnic areas. I only counted 3-4, one was barely hanging on the post. So if you go to grill out, might want to pack a portable grill just in case. Hopefully this is an issue they are working to fix. I live only 10-15 minutes from the park so I will be revisiting more often.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This very pleasant little attraction can be experienced within a few hours. The educational guide posters provide the fascinating background of the green and hilly terrain upon which the park sits. A short and easy hike through the green woods along either the marked historic trail or the path to the Bison pens is most enjoyable.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stopped by this little park while on a trip with my 6 year old granddaughter. It is just a few miles from Interstate 75 and the drive out to the park was very scenic. The museum is small with samples of bones and artifacts. They have a display of what the lick would have looked like with descriptive signs telling you how the animals would come to this area to lick the salt, get stuck in the mud if they ventured too far and become trapped. My granddaughter enjoyed hearing about this and looking at the display, some animals are shown standing along the edge while others are shown being trapped, while still others are shown decaying. It was educational and she loved it. We did take the short trail out to see the Bison. She liked watching them also. Our total visit was probably an hour, so it was a good little side trip to get us out of the car. I would not make this my destination on a trip but it is a good place to explore and run some energy off those little ones.

1  Thank Tyme4relaxing