New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Stearns B&B and Inns
New Madrid Mo
“Awesome Motor Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My family and I absolutely enjoyed our visit to Stearns Ky. Even though all the national parks were shut down we still learned a lot of history because of Sandy the owner of Big South Fork Motor Lodge, She told us so much about coal mining and how miners were paid and why children as young as 8 years old were made to work the mines. The hotel was spacious and clean the staff was awesome the pool was gorgeous Also I had the best two nights sleep then I have had in years the mattress was so comfortable. If you are there on a Friday evening Sandy even makes home cooked meals for her guests at no extra charge, . That is good old southern hospitality you wont find in any other hotel or motel. I am looking forward to going back to Stearns and I will definitely be staying at The Big South Fork Motor Lodge.

Room Tip: Mcreary County is one of the poorest counties in Kentucky but it is also one of the most beautiful I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank meschell_l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Goshen, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Big South Fork Motor Lodge and I absolutely love it. This past weekend was our family reunion in Kentucky. Since we have family members coming from all over, we all meet and stay at the same hotel for the weekend. This year the family decided to try a different hotel in Stearns. We ended up renting almost every room of the hotel and loved the place. I heard no complaing and only good things from everyone! As with any family, when you get a lot of people together and everyone tries to talk at once (as we did this year by the pool) you tend to get a little loud but Sandy (the owner) and the staff didn't complain at all about it. They were truley GREAT!!! They went out of their way to make us feel right at home! I absolutely love this place and am looking forward to going back next year!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank Melissa_B462013
Kankakee, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

When checking in my wife was told while I was filling out the form that we were in "the lady room." I heard this and just assumed it meant the room was at a more finicky standard of cleanliness. Oh boy was I in for a surprise. We entered the slightly perfumed smelling room and when my wife turned to look at me she was smirking from ear to ear. We entered what I can only describe as a pink paradise, with black tasseled trim. There was not a smidgen of manliness to be found, although my wife says the flat screen tv and beer sized fridge count. I was not going to gripe until I had a chance to shower and try the bed. Once clean and ready for slumber the pink was not even visible (with the lights out.) The bed was simply marvelous. The right combination of soft comfort and firm support as if it had been made for me. My wife usually prefers a different firmness of bed than I but not this time she too thought the bed was wonderful. What I thought might turn into a horror was one of the best nights sleep I have had in a very long time. Lady room or no this small independent motel is worth a few extra miles driving for a great nights rest.

Room Tip: Maybe not the lady room if you are in touch with your masculine side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
8 Thank Steve M
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Wonderfully charming place to stay! My partner and I stayed here 04/17-19/2013. The owner Sandy and her staff took excellent care of us while we stayed here. While we stayed here we visited Cumberland Falls,The Yamacra River, Blue Heron Coal Camp and The Natural Arch. We just wanted somewhere to get a way and have a 3 day vacation. We lucked up with this place. Extremely clean rooms. Clean sheets and the bathroom was immaculate. Not one stain on anything. We brought our 2 large dogs for a small extra fee. Sandy makes little sweet treats for her guest every day and has them available in the office. Her son Rick that helps her run the lodge is very helpful with directions and things to do and places to eat. They had a beautiful pool with a very nice patio and very nice large gas grill for guest. They showed it all to us. The only thing was that they just had filled the pool up and it was opening the week after we left so we didn't get the chance to take advantage of it. We will definitely be back this summer to enjoy the pool and patio! By the way Sandy and her staff were very gay friendly! We have and will continue to recommend this little getaway spot. We will be back this summer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank QualityNeeded
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed for the third time at this wonderfully quaint and friendly lodge. I will continue to stay here. My next trip will be in June. I so look forward to the nightly sweet treat, the cleanliness, and quiet stays I always have. The owners make me feel so very special each and every time! I love this place.

Room Tip: Ask the owners about each of their individual rooms. They are each different.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank slewis123000
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my second trip to this wonderful lodge! It is everything I expected and more. The rooms are spotless and the owner is absolutely the best. I wouldn't stay anywhere else! I sleep the best I have here than ever before. Every evening there is an extremely tasty homemade dessert! Tonight I am going to devour a peach cobbler which was warm when I came in to the office this afternoon. I highly recommend The Big South Fork Motor Lodge to everyone in this area!

Room Tip: All the rooms are decorated differntly. Ask about them and have Sandy help you decide which room wo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank slewis123000
Henderson, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was a road warrior another words travel do to my job for over 40 years. Stay in a lot of motels and hotels and restorts, but would say that for price and location.
Big South Fork Motor Lodge in Stearms KY.
Would be right up there for great service, very clean rooms and the mattress was like sleep never had before.
I will in the future in any where near this motel will stay there and hightly suggest
other people stay there.
Again want to thank the owners and staff for a good night stay.

Room Tip: SOMETIMES little motel in small towns has a lot more to offer than big cities or big chain does
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DARALD E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stearns
Red Roof Inn Whitley City
Hampton Inn Somerset
Hampton Inn Somerset
#1 of 10 in Somerset
4.5 of 5 stars 258 reviews

Been to Big South Fork Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!