“Couldn't be any better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smiths Grove
Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns
Ranked #3 of 3 Smiths Grove B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Cave Spring B&B far exceeded our expectations, from the fabulous views, the peace and quiet, the on-site hiking, cave, horse farm, historical significance, schoolhouse, central location, exquisite furnishing, superb breakfasts, and over-the-top hospitality. The Innkeeper, Bill, provided the guests with a historical briefing on the area, the Inn, the cave, the history, the local attractions, every morning. The bedroom was huge! This is a must-see, must-do B&B. We have been to many and not often do we find one that has literally EVERYTHING that is EXCEPTIONAL!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns

Reviewed May 22, 2008

my husband and I stayed on May 15, 2008 for 2 nights, we had the Lincoln Room, the room was nice, But the shower curtain was in need of repair (NEW ONE) and there were ants in the bedroom. no local TV. the breakfast was okay nothing to brag about. we would not stay again.
the pitcures on the Internet was not what we saw when we got there. the host of the B&B was not that friendly (never saw his wife)

thanks linda

Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a Bed and Breakfast near Bowling Green, Ky because we were picking our daughter up from college. We decided to make the trip into a romantic getaway as our 23rd wedding anniversary was also that weekend. I found Cave Spring Farm B & B on the internet and it looked pleasant enough. I was particularly interested in the accomadations of the "School House " located on the property next to the main house. When I called for reservations I requested the "School House" and was told that there was nothing available. Later I received a phone call and was told there had been a cancellation and " The Little House in the Woods" was available. I reserved it for one night.

I printed off the directions from the internet and as we got closer to our destination the directions appeared to be inaccurate. We drove around aimlessly for awhile and I then called the number of the Bed and Breakfast for more specific directions. I was unable to talk to anyone but an answering machine. I tried several times. The message on the answering machine said to try the other number listed on the website. I left a message stating we were lost and needed directions. We conitnued driving and found someone outside and asked for directions.

We finally arrived. There wasn't anyone to greet us. We knocked on the door and after some time a middle-aged man opened the door. He told us the "Little House in the Woods" was at the end of the drive, the light was on for us, checkout was 11:00, and the keys were on the kitchen table. He asked if we needed any info or directions. My husband asked where the restaurants were and we were told everything closes at 3:00 in Smiths Grove. It was now 5:15. The man suggested Bowling Green for restaurants. We got in our vechicle and backed up the driveway to the "Little House in the Woods." When I saw the abandoned RV parked next to the cabin it was just too much. We thought we would at least go inside and look around.
Upon entering the living area, we found it decorated with many furniture pieces that looked like Salvation Army rejects. The rest of the tour wasn't much better . The whirlpool tub that was in the ad consisted of a tub/shower combo. The deck out back was furnished with dirty, plastic chairs. If you looked to the right you had a great view of the RV. The upstairs had two fullsize beds. My husband stepped in a hole in the floor which was covered by Salvation Army type carpet.

We had seen enough. We got the keys and took them back to the main house. My husband told the man we were checking out. The man asked why and we told him it wasn't what we expected. He grabbed the keys from my husband and closed the door.

I would not recommend this place to anyone

1  Thank slowpokeNewburgh_IN
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Smiths Grove, Kentucky
Nasty beds and no breakfast.

First impression is everything and it appears this trite cliché has never been truer than during our recent stay at Cave Springs Bed and Breakfast. After a 300 mile drive, my wife and I arrived in this well hidden location just west of Smiths Grove. This vacation was booked two months ago after browsing this website in search of different bed and breakfast locations in the vicinity of Mammoth Cave National Park.

We were drawn to this particular location after viewing the school house being offered at the rear of the residence. The internet claims indicated the accompanying breakfast would be available to patrons staying in the school house. The privacy of the unattached rooms, coupled with the breakfast and access to the main house were selling points as were some reviews contained within this site.

Shortly after booking the school house, we were contacted by the owner of this establishment notifying us that the school house was unavailable due to electrical problems. We were offered the “house in the woods” as an alternative and advised that breakfast would also be provided.

We arrived 10 minutes prior to check-in on May 2, 2008 and rang the doorbell anticipating a warm greeting by our host. What we received was a treatment that many door to door church groups must surely be familiar with, a half open door and a disinterested owner. After explaining who we were and that we were to be guest for the weekend, we were rudely directed to return to the front of the property to the “house in the woods”. No other instructions were provided and the lady who greeted us did not wait for any additional questions we might have had.

The “house in the woods” is a two story cabin located at the front of the property near the advertised private cave. This cabin has a spectacular view of the wooded property that is marred by a Winnebago which appears to be permanently parked to the south of the cabin.

The main room located on the first floor is a small rustic area that appears to have been last cleaned during the Clinton administration. A framed sign prompts guest that a $25 cleaning fee will be charged to all those who fail to keep the cabin clean. It is apparent that the owner’s definition of clean is either way below that of the average traveler or the prior guests have failed to pay the allotted fee.

The furnishing is yard sale quality. A trundle bed serves as a sofa for the main living room. I would not recommend turning back the comforter as it appears the sheets have been used on several occasions without a wash. A pair of office depot straight back lobby chairs frame a 19 inch television perched upon a television stand that might fetch $5 at a local Goodwill Store. Two small chairs in dire need of a vacuum complete the furnishing in the main living area.
The kitchen area was not used except to store drinks in the fridge. Small black droppings along the counters and under the kitchen table did not prompt the use of this area for food preparation.

The bathroom did come with the advertised Jacuzzi bath. This is a small tub suited for one person. Packing tape is being used currently to secure the maintenance panel to the front of the tub. The same rough, unstained wood adorns the bath as it does the remainder of the cabin. A simple attempt at removing a towel from the shower curtain resulted in a nasty splinter in the hand of this guest. Despite the drab window treatments and drab walls and ceilings, this room appeared to be cleaner than the rest of the area. The only complaint this guest would lodge regarding the cleanliness of this room is the bath rug which is in dire need of a wash.

The bedroom is accessed by narrow stairs on the south side of the residence. The room contains two beds and a dollar store variety clothes rack that has seen its better days. A small closet is crammed full of bed linens and sunlight could be seen at the top of this closet area as the interior is unfinished making one hesitant to sleep on any of the linens that are contained within. This room is identical to other rooms in that the walls and ceiling are pine paneling. The use of packing tape was also noticed again as it appeared that one panel was being held up with two strips behind one of the beds.

In most hotel rooms, I am hesitant to sleep on the comforter as these are rarely washed by hotel chains. However, the sheets in even the cheapest of hotels usually smell clean. Not only do the sheets in this cabin smell as if they have not been washed, they appear dirty and it appeared someone had sleep in one of the beds with their shoes on. If one does intend to sleep in either of these beds, I highly recommend one of the longer hikes offered in the national park as the comfort level of these beds will require the user to be exhausted if sleep is desired.

The rear deck is no cleaner than the remainder of the residence and the chairs that are not broken would need to be cleaned prior to using. Despite this, if one chooses to do so, this is a great place to sit and read provided the chair is turned away from the view of the abandoned recreational vehicle that adorns the yard.

If one chooses to stay at this location due to the advertised private cave, I would offer that this cave is apparently extremely private. A rope across the entrance way offered no explanation as to when the cave would be offered for a tour. We were at the entrance advertised on brochures found locally and no one ever appeared to provide the tour which is part of the package sold by this establishment.

I have no review to offer regarding the breakfast. Due to the greeting we received on Friday, my wife and I chose to eat in town, where options are severely limited. On Saturday, my wife and I attempted to meet the owners a second time and to discuss the times breakfast was offered. We were shown inside by two guests who advised us to simply knock on a door to speak with the owners. After three attempts at knocking, we decided to continue with our plans for the day. We did, however, notice that two guest were signed in as staying the weekend of May 2, 2008 in the “School House” which we were told was unavailable due to electrical problems. Just prior to the end of check in, we attempted to contact the owners again by ringing the front bell to the main house. We received no response to the door bell and left to turn in for our last night.

I would not recommend this establishment to anyone who prefers to stay in establishments that are clean and friendly. It was apparent from our visit that the bed and breakfast is not operated with the intention of generating repeat customers. Should this be their intention, I would say they were highly successful as I honestly believe I would stay in the local Motel 6 before using this particular bed and breakfast again.

David A. Du Bose

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AuTravelAuburn_AL
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed here in the Lincoln Room.for our 40th wedding anniversary It was adequate but not up to our standards. The Lincoln Room is actually a suite of three rooms; the main bedroom area which is where you enter, a sun porch which is a TV room and a bathroom. There were several things that just didn't feel right. The cheap shades in the sun room and no curtains, the small old TV with satellite but no local stations, a moldy shower curtain, cheap counter material, etc. When we arrived the handle on the main door came off in our hands. We went out for dinner and when we came back it wasn't fixed. However it was taken care of the next day. The grounds are a mess. Lots of differed maintenance and debry lying around. It is a horse farm, sort of, but the fences are in ill repair.

We wanted to see the cave but it was closed because it had rained for the previous week. Understandable.

The breakfast was good and adequate.

The inn keeper was quite and reserved. When asked he provided good directions and suggestions. However, he just seemed not to want to know his guests.

Over all a less than overwhelming experience and one we will not repeat.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2007

A very pleasant stay. The rooms were as pictured, and the host very gracious. The breakfast was great. definitely use the website map, as it is a little out of the way and Google and Mapquest are not accurate. The host is planning further upgrades while continuing with the restoration, so the experience should inprove.

Reviewed August 1, 2007

I did extensive research on hotels in the area. We were going to Mammoth Cave National Park, so we wanted to be close and didn't want to stay in Bowling Green (though the options there didn't seem too great anyway). The places in Cave City looked pretty substandard, and after driving past them we were very happy to have the serenity of Cave Spring Farm.

We stayed in the Schoolhouse, which was a good way for us to satisfy our hatred of B&Bs in general because we were off on our own and didn't have to interact much with anyone else. We had a little deck out the back and sat outside and watched the horses and read. It's very quiet and peaceful. The room was clean and comfortable. As others have noted, the TV has issues and a green tinge to it, but they have cable with lots of movie and other channels (there's NOTHING to do at night in the area, so it was nice to have this). The bathroom is small and had some little leaks, but it was clean enough and fine. The bed was comfortable. There was a small sofa and a table and a mini fridge (great in summer!).

Breakfast was huge and satisfying (heavy like all Southern food), but tasty. The owner is very friendly and enthusiastic and did his best to recommend things.

Smiths Grove is a small town with an overpriced but friendly and interesting antique mall and a fun and tasty ice cream shack.

Very convenient to Mammoth Caves. The onsite cave was closed due to heavy rains before we arrived, so we were disappointed to miss that.

If you want a clean and quiet place, and one that isn't crawling with loud families, this is probably one of your very best options.
It's more expensive th;an other places in the area, but there really isn't anything else and a little extra goes a long way.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bowling Green
Hyatt Place Bowling Green
Hyatt Place Bowling Green
#2 of 35 in Bowling Green

Been to Cave Spring Farm Bed and Breakfast and Cave Spring Caverns? Share your experiences!