“It is what it is...”

Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Slade
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: There are few reptile collections that can compare to the diversity of animals on display at the Kentucky Reptile Zoo. Animals on exhibit range from an 18 foot reticulated python, our largest resident, to many types of venomous snakes such as cobras, mambas, cottonmouth, copperheads, taipans and rattlesnakes, to an American Alligator. One of the favorite areas for kids is our Turtle Tracks Area, where both tortoises and aquatic turtles can be seen. Live reptile shows at 1, 3 and 5pm.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm a 52 year old grandma and I loved this place! Too many people expect a true zoo, which this is not, but it is a huge supplier of venom for the U.S.. The owner has devoted his life to his passion, as you can tell by many missing pieces of fingers ( with a story for each one). Our group watched him "milk" mojave rattlesnakes, having to remain very still and quiet as he instructed. When and where else would we ever experience such a thing? As a nurse I also realize the importance of the venom for medical studies, and I'm very sure there aren't many people that would be willing to do this at any price!! An experience that I will never forget!

2  Thank Cheryl B
"intern"
"extracted"
"knowledge"

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Being in the professional zoo industry I tend to have a much more critical eye when I visit other zoological facilities. Recently, I had the good fortune to finally make a trek to the Kentucky Reptile Zoo and boy I couldn't have been more pleased with my visit! Jim and Kristen are two of the most knowledgable reptile people you will find. Their well trained staff are customer friendly, courteous, and knowledgable in their own right. The setting is very intimate; something you don't get at larger zoos. Each building is like opening a new present; lots of unexpeced surprises with some of the world's most exotic and beautiful reptiles; particularly their venomous snake collection. You'll be hard pressed to see a more diverse collection than this one. The exhibits are really nice, the animals in impeccable condition, and the drive to get to this zoo is absolutely beautiful. It's worth the drive whether you are from Chicago like I am, or, from just about anywhere in the U.S. For anyone who enjoys reptiles or wildlife in general this is a great place to visit. You will not be disappointed. And I have heard many others say the same thing who have visited. Great job KRZ!!!!!

4  Thank Rob_Carmichael
Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a total rip off! First, you have to go into their store where they hope you will spend money buying stuff. They charge for adults to take their kids in, and admission was high. when they open the door to the room, you are standing in a room the size of a walk in closet with aqariums in there with a few snakes. don't waste your money!!!

3  Thank chicago_girl222
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was on my way to the Natural Bridge and just happened to see a sign that said Serpentarium which piqued my interest. On the way back from the Natural Bridge we decided to see what the hours for the Zoo were and if we had time to go in. We had a half an hour and they said that we could still take the guided tour. The admission was moderate (I think it was $8/person). Our guide met us and took us on a tour of several buildings filled with snakes and lizards. The guide was very knowledgeable and was happy to answer all of our questions. They also have alligators and turtles. The alligators were my favorite by far. They have so much personality. And they have a turtle whose shell had been damaged and they reconstructed it with plastic. Even though we got there a half an hour before they closed, our guide still took us on an hour tour. It's an amazing place and a must-see if you're in the area.

3  Thank porscad
See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Snakes, Snakes, Snakes and more Snakes. With over 2,000 snakes this place is sure to leave you more knowledgeable about snakes and reptiles. A tour guide (usually a graduated Biology major from the University of Kentucky) takes you on a tour explaining the reptile information along the way. The tour can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on how long you want to stay and ask questions. The prices are very reasonable as I believe adult tickets are only $7. Therefore, if you are a lover of reptiles or snakes this is definitely the place for you!

3  Thank Jenna B

Been to Kentucky Reptile Zoo? Share your experiences!