“Houses a great collection of venomous reptiles.”

Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Slade
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: There are few reptile collections that can compare to the diversity of animals on display at the Kentucky Reptile Zoo. Animals on exhibit range from an 18 foot reticulated python, our largest resident, to many types of venomous snakes such as cobras, mambas, cottonmouth, copperheads, taipans and rattlesnakes, to an American Alligator. One of the favorite areas for kids is our Turtle Tracks Area, where both tortoises and aquatic turtles can be seen. Live reptile shows at 1, 3 and 5pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Found the staff knowledgeable and many different species on display. Venom extractions we were told were at 1:00 pm and live reptile shows at 3 and 5. Saw the venom show and came back for 3 show without having to pay again. Price for adults without tax was $7.00 for adults and $4.00 for 15 and under 4 free. Fair price for nice educational exhibit. Place has all for species of mambas. They told us they sometimes change exhibits but always have of 100'plus species on display and have 2000'plus venomous specimens on grounds.

3  Thank Travehop

Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I visited the reptile zoo earlier today. As soon as we pulled into the empty parking lot and saw the shack of an gift shop/entry, we knew it was going to be a waste of time. But we gave them the benefit of the doubt and went on in. I had previously read online admission was only $4 per adult, but it cost the two of us a little over $15. You walk past several buildings set on blocks to meet your guide. The guide takes you into North American Building, a small building where there about 10 or so snakes and a skink, which the tour guide referred to as a lizzard, but I happen to be familiar with the skink. We got to peek into a cage at a gator, then our guide took us to the Tropical building which had several venomous snakes and some venomous lizzards in it. Then we were lead to the Giants building where there were only about 5 snakes and a couple turtles. The tour went on outside where you got to see a couple small gators and a few more turtles. The guide seemed to be knowledgable when asked questions but didnt offer alot of information. The place really needed to be cleaned up, as there were several noticable eyesores. When asked if we would see any of the snakes handled, the guide informed us that the snakes had already been handled for that day, even though they offer milking demonstrations three times a day, and we were there before two of them were supposed to take place. The also claimed to have a reticulated python, which I never saw. The claim of having one of the worlds largest venomous snake collections is hard to believe.

1  Thank beckywethington
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Been there 3 times and plan on going back soon! They have a wide variety of poisonous reptiles, from cobra's to copperheads, to timber rattler's to green mamba's! You can get up close and personal while watching the venom extraction by Jim. A must for any snake lover!!! I was tagged a few weeks ago by a northern copperhead, it was a human error, the snake just did what it was supposed to do, defend itself, it was my error for handling it the wrong way! After 6 viles of antivenom and 16 hrs in the hospital, not to mention a bill for $10,860.00, I still love 'em, I'll still catch 'em and observe their uniqueness, the only change I will have towards them is more respect for what they are capable of! I would like the opportunity one day to be able to work with them. But, until then, I'll be visiting the KyReptileZoo frequently!! ;-) If you get the chance.....stop by!!!! You'll be glad you did........

Michael F

2  Thank silverado28
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We stopped in to the Kentucky Reptile Zoo last summer and it far exceeded our expectations. There is an extensive collection of exotic and native reptiles. The highlight of the visit was to see owner Jim Harrison working with and "milking " the venom from cobras. If you enjoy reptiles I know of no other place you can get up close to the anials and talk with one of the most knowledgable reptile experts around. Here is the crazy part, it only cost $6.00 for adults!!

3  Thank tonysapp2
Reviewed June 21, 2008

They had one of each snake on display. The rooms were small and cramped. Staff answered questions when asked, but they didn't say anything otherwise. Not very friendly. Did not have a live reptile show as advertised on their website. They do have a good selection of snakes. No bathrooms, have to use rest area next door.

3  Thank faye1630

Been to Kentucky Reptile Zoo? Share your experiences!