“Bro-in-law from Chicago loves Shady Ln.”
Review of Shady Lane Cafe

Shady Lane Cafe
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'd been driving my bro-in-law from Chicago all over the city today showing him many of the sites. We started getting hungry after spending the day at Churchill Downs, the University of Louisville, Old Louisville, the Central Business District, 4th Street Live, Museum row and Whiskey row. I said Joe, what would you like to eat? He said he wanted a good corned beef sandwich. At that point we were on Brownsboro road in Clifton and I said we are going to Shady Lane Cafe. We made a fantastic choice.

Joe enjoyed the New York Reuben and declared it a winner. He really, REALLY liked the home-fried potato chips. I decided on the Brownsboro burger and loaded it up with tomato, lettuce, pickles, mayo, bacon, grilled onions and pepper jack cheese. Man, that burger was huge and juicy and tasty and messy and all the things that make a burger GREAT. I loved the chips as well. Seasoned just right and oh so crunchy.

Not only was the food quite delicious, all the staff are so friendly and desire to make your dining experience one you'll truly remember. Shady Lane cafe is the kind of place that makes you feel as if you're stepping back in time. It's not all the glitz and glamour of many modern types of eateries and that's definitely a good thing. You order at the counter and right behind the counter are the grill and fryer. It's just a really cool place to get great food.

On a side note, I was in there with my CARDS 2013 National Championship t-shirt on. At the table next to Joe and I were some UK fans with their 2012 Championship tee's and a few tables down was a North Carolina fan with his 2009 Championship sweatshirt on. The place was literally full of champions today.

6  Thank Doogymon
ShadyLaneLady, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2015

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Shady Lane is the best lil mom and pop cafe in this city! They have the best burger, many sandwiches including a benedictine and bacon, club and philly steak. They also serve gourmet breakfast entrees on saturday mornings that are to dire for! So, if you haven't experienced Shady Lane Cafe, it is a must. I almost forgot to mention the excellent homemade desserts that Susie makes!! YUMMM!

1  Thank Shelley C

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry it took me this long to respond, but we're completely low-tech. We're now open Thursday and Friday evenings from 5:30 to 8 PM. Come check us out. Oh, by the way, You Rock!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

You must order the Brownsboro burger. It is the best in Louisville! On Saturday, Bill and Susie serve a wonderful breakfast. The French Toast with Peach Compote is an excellent entree that is just sweet enough! I can also recommend the Bacon &Bleu omlet. Lunch fare includes the Bacon and Benedictine Wrap which is homemade. Don't forget to order one of Susie's desserts!

1  Thank Cyndi B

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Everything from soups and freshly made cakes to Philly steaks, hamburgers, club sandwiches, quesadillas and more. A special treat for locals in Louisville is the benedictine (a local cheese spread of mostly cucumber and cream cheese) and bacon wrap. (I like the benedictine from The Cheddar Box a little better).

Friendly and fast. At Brownsboro Rd. & I-264 in shopping center.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

If you live in Louisville you already know about Shady Lane. It's located in the Brownsboro Center at Brownsboro Road and I-264. If you are a visitor and looking for a great place for lunch, this is the place to eat. The owners, Bill and Susie, have created a homey atmosphere with great sandwiches and soups. Bill does most of the cooking on the grill behind the counter where Susie takes your order. Susie makes all of the desserts and they are yummy.
Don't forget to order a side of their homemade potato chips. You won't find anything better in the city. Their hamburgers are to die for and regularly receive high marks from the local food critics. You can expect to pay around $10 for a sandwich, order of the chips, and a drink, but you won't go away hungry!

1  Thank loukycop