“Absolutely terrible, and photos to prove it.”
Review of Super 8 Richmond

Super 8 Richmond
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Thinking this had a great rate, and also got good reviews, how could one go wrong. Oh my my my... one could go VERY wrong here. First off, "Karryl", the clerk refused to give me the online rate, telling me to "go book it, but it'll take 15 to 20 minutes for me to get it". Now *there's* some customer service. I did book it, and got the cheap rate. Then, it's off to the room. Right off the bat, spotted a cockroach in Room #221. Back to the front desk, ask for another room. I'm given Room #135, a handicap smoking. This room was filthy, and smelled like musty towels. Back AGAIN to the front desk, where Karryl dismisses this as "well, old people stay in those rooms". Really? All handicap people are old, or are just to be dismissed? Nice.

Ask for a refund so I can just move on. Nope. Since it was booked online (which SHE forced me to do, and after 6pm), I could not get a refund. ...so, another room. This time Room #227. This room was barely passable, and only because I can't get my money back. THIS room has holes in the dirtiest carpet I've ever seen, has deep gouges in the toilet seat (who's going here, a wolverine?!?), nasty reddish streaks of mildew on EVERY wall in the bathroom, especially behind the door. The lamp next to the bed is leaning. Trying to straighten it, I notice that the socket is coming apart, exposing the wiring. Nothing like a little electrical hazard to make things nicer. Turning on the heat, it sets off the smoke alarm because the wall unit starts to give off a smell not unlike when a hair dryer sucks in and starts burning hair. Nice. Trying to watch TV to forget about some of this wonderfulness, I notice the top 1/8 of the screen is nothing but scan lines (distortion), which is completely distracting.

Now, I stay in tons of motels in the course of a year, and I'm no prima donna who requires 5 star lodging, but this place is a craphole. How the heck it's gotten so many good reviews so far is totally beyond me. I am posting photos to prove what I say, so that any owner friends can't just try to "out-review" me. Honest folks... pass right by this place. It's a dump. Now off to send Wyndham a nice email about this dump. (As if they'll care.) Next, I'm calling the Richmond, KY building dept and let them know what I've found here. Perhaps *they'll* care.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Roadside_US
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Richmond

Reviewed July 19, 2010

While doing research at EKU, I stayed at this motel for six days. I intentionally chose a downscale accommodation. I did not want the distractions of pools and saunas and so forth. I only wanted a clean, quiet place to stay when I was not in the library.

Unfortunately, this was neither. Of the five days (M-F) I returned to my room from work, there had not been any maid service whatsoever on two of those. On the other three days, maid service was lacking: no coffee/soap/shampoo two of those days, and wet towels on one. I know that there were maids in this place--they began vacuuming the hallways at 8 each morning, ending a fairly quiet night (the main reason I'd stay here again: silence)--but they disappeared before coming into my room.

What didn't work in my tiny room? TV remote control, clock, air conditioner (though the thermostat seemed to work, the room got no cooler when I lowered the temperature). One of the dresser drawers was knocked off track, and the microwave was slow (it took more than one "popcorn" cycle to make popcorn).

I went in with very low expectations, and this place failed to live up to them.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2010

we were traveling to tennessee and had to stop for the night because of snow and this just happened to be where we pulled into off the interstate and i am glad that we did. the room was clean with a microwave, fridge and large tv. very comfy bed. front desk clerk was very nice and the breakfast was great, it included gravy and biscutis and waffles you made yourself. they even called ahead to one of there other hotels to check on the weather where we were heading. you couldnt beat the price as it was under 50.00 a night. thanks

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pawws
Reviewed January 22, 2010

I was stuck in Richmond for two days when my transmission blew up on I75. The people that run this hotel could not be nicer. They watched my things while I went to the mechanic, they made good recommendations for food and drink. Now this is a budget hotel, so its no great shakes, but the room was clean and the breakfast was good. Would highly recommend for a inexpensive stay while traveling, or God forbid, you are broke down.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Friendly and helpful staff. I felt very secure at this motel. Air conditioner worked great and beds and pillows were very comfortable. No problems with TV reception. Did not experience the wireless internet. The Super Start Breakfast includes sausage gravy and biscuits. Cleanliness was good, except that a towel from a previous guest was left hanging on the shower. At check in, I was going to be charged a $10 pet fee. Informing the clerk that the internet cited $5.50, he said, "5.50 it is!". (I believe the person serving me was a manager - the reason for the quick response.) Quick service restaurants within walking distance. Some shopping nearby to pick up incidentals.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chisenhall
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I was looking for a clean, inexpensive place to stay overnight on our cross country driving trip, and chose Richmond, KY because it was convenient for us and had a lot of well-rated places to stay. I picked the Super8, Richmond because it had no negative reviews. We stayed there twice on this trip, both times on weekdays.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much for the price we paid, and I was fully prepared to go somewhere else if my wife didn't approve when she saw the room. I was shocked; this motel was cleaner and better kept than most of the places we've stayed in our many trips through this area.

Carpet was either new or newly cleaned, walls were recently painted, lighting was good and the room was quiet. There were a few minor flaws in the room - the TV remote didn't work, the fridge and wall lamp were plugged into the wrong outlets, and the hand-held shower head was loose, but the room and bathroom were spotless.

Breakfast offerings included waffles, cereal, pastries, good coffee, milk, juice. The eating kitchenette area was large and clean. This is not an elegant motel, but it does a great job of providing the basics - a clean and comfortable room for the night. On a price/performance scale I'd rate it at the top of the list of 3 star motels.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I wouldn't even have a shower because the bathmath hadn't been removed for a long time - mildew all around. The worst Super 8 we'd been in. We had a non-smoking room and smoke was coming in under the door. Walls were very thin - so lots of noise. Unable to get proper reception on the internet. No trolley to bring in luggage.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends