“Serious Mexican Food”

Dining options: Lunch
Richmond, Kentucky
“Serious Mexican Food”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

It’s in a small storefront, the walls have tacky full size plastic images of Mexicans dancing - looks like a bad ethnic joke printed on clear shower curtains. We understand a business needs to economize as it starts up but really – it would look better with bare walls.

That said – it gets five stars.

The help was super sweet, kept the place spotless & my soda cup full. This is no Taco Bell & I suspect some of the locals may be put off by that fact. Central Mexico cooking. The homemade salsa was incredible, cilantro, tomato/tomatillo chunks & (I think) a little lemon grass with a dash of chilies. Probably the best I’ve had I the states. The chips did not keep up, they tasted a tad old and were a bit tough. I ordered the chicken quesadilla. Simply superb. The chicken was grilled perfectly, the wrapper was to-die-for & the spicing/filling was spot on. My companion had a steak burrito- also fantastic. It was not super spicy but our waitress brought two bottles of sauce to try. One – green - had some additional flavor & slight heat – the red sauce had a lot of flavor and plenty of heat. The menu is limited – I have no problem with that – better to offer just a few dynamite items than a huge menu that is boring (like the mega Mexican places in town). We will be back – soon.

• Visited May 2014