“Very frustrating-we ended up cancelling before going!”

The Bennett House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Richmond B&B and Inns
Lexington ky
“Very frustrating-we ended up cancelling before going!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

We have two dogs, and this place was advertised as Pet Friendly, and also was affiliated through BedandBreakast.com. I called to verify the pet friendly status, and Rich said the only ones that accepted pets were in the cottage, and that he had a space there available for $150. He said there would be a $20 charge for cleaning, which I thought was reasonable. I had a gift card, but in order to use it, it had to be booked through the bedandbreakfast.com website. He didn't want me to do that, because they take 30 percent. He called me the next day, and tried to use the gift card number, and of course, it didn't work because he wasn't going through the website. He then reiterated he would be out $30 if I booked it online. THEN he said that although he had said a $20/night cleaning charge, it would be $20/dog. I gave up at that point. He was unhelpful and whiny about me trying to use the card. I was very disappointed and will not consider them again.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank aamary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nicholasville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

My girlfriend and I went to the Bennett House on the weekend of Nov.21-23 2008. We were the only 2 guests in the house and was told when I made the reservations that there would be a discount because they couldn't make breakfast for us because they were working on christmas decorations. The discount was for 14 dollars a night. The house itself was very nice inside and out but as for the Innkeepers not so much. In all this experience seemed more like a trip to your Aunt's house where you had to be reserved and not say anything while you were there or more like a hotel where the only friendly faces or nice people you saw were the ones outside of the residence.Will definitely choose to go somewhere other than anywhere close to there seeing as we are from Lexington and really just wanted a nice quiet place to go to escape our fulltime jobs for the weekend but whats a Bed and Breakfast without a breakfast. Christmas decorations are nice but seeing as we were the only couple in the house and its over a month away from Christmas you would think that two breakfast dinners would have not really been a stretch. THANKS JASON WILKERSON

• Liked — The fact that we left when we did!!!!!
  • Disliked — The fact there wasn't any breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank blueman32
West Chester, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Our family recently stayed at the Bennett House B&B--we rented the cottage in the back. It was perfectly sized, had both a kitchen (1st floor) and kitchenette (2nd floor apartment) with enough space for 6 of us to spread out and feel comfortable. The main house seemed very pretty, though I was surprised that the innkeeper and his wife offered little background on the property until we pressed for it--our interactions were business like--something I have rarely found at B & Bs across the country.

My only real complaint was the tidy little breakfasts that we were served. I was disappointed by the lack of anything southern in the breakfast (besides instrumental versions of "My Old Kentucky Home", "Old Susannah" etc. playing in the background of our meal). Perhaps this is naive on my part, but it didn't occur to me that I'd get the same breakfast in Richmond, KY as I would in Chicago, New York or Portland! Food is one of the key draws of B&B's and I felt like this wasn't pushing for excellence. (This may be due in part to the fact that this is the ONLY B&B in Richmond, so there is no one else to up the ante.) The pillsbury cinnamon rolls (one per person) were silly served on beautiful crystal and silver--and in a way summed up the experience with food there: it was tasty, tiny, and at, but not exceeding, the standard B&B fare. (Thus, I was very surprised to see the gushing of other reviewers regarding the food!) My last point on the food--half of our group finished breakfast and ate something else back in their rooms before heading out for the day (and we aren't heavy eaters). I think that speaks volumes.

While my comments seem negative, my experience at the Bennett House was otherwise very nice. The property was beautiful, the rooms were really pretty and beds were comfortable. If I was in Richmond again, I might even stay there again! But my expectations of the southern hospitality I experienced elsewhere in Kentucky would be scaled down.

• Liked — Beautiful quarters, gorgeous renovation.
  • Disliked — The food.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank prof
Simi Valley, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

The "Bennett House" is top shelf!

Immaculate!

Richard and Rita (owners of the Bennett House) spoil their customers. You won't find a better bed and breakfast in the state of Kentucky.

I returned from watching the Kentucky Derby in Louisville and I stayed one night (Sunday, May 4, 2008) at the "Bennet House" and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Best Regards,
Dave Johnson
Simi Valley, Ca

• Liked — Hospitality and the Immaculate Surroundings
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Fairfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2007

What a charming old home. We stayed in the private cottage/suite. It was clean, spacious, and had a wonderful whirlpool bath for two. The owners were lovely. They provided an excellent breakfast in the morning and tips to find the best antique peddlers. We will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Spacious, clean
  • Disliked — A little difficult to find from the local highway
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DAnnS
Anderson, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

We had a terrific girls' getaway weekend in the Ashley suite in the new cottage behind the Bennett House. There was a jacuzzi tub and separate shower, mini-frig and microwave, two beds in a beautifully decorated bedroom, and a separate sitting room with two loveseats and tv. Breakfast , served with flowers, was fruit, ham egglets(wonderful) or quiche, cinnamon rolls, juice, coffee, or tea. We had our own balcony overlooking the garden where we could visit and read. Rita and Richard Smart, the owners, were very thoughtful and gracious. We can hardly wait to go back next year!

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank SCKitty
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2007

I visited the Bennett House for a bridesmaid luncheon. It was the most wonderful place. The atmosphere has such a southern hospitality that is inviting to all guests!!!! The food was absolutely delightful...the punch was the best I have ever had. We were also able to take a tour of the rooms and the new suites. They are too cute!!!! PERFECT for any getaway and any type of guest!!! I would recommend this bed and breakfast to everyone! It is a quaint and tidy little home away from home!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2007
1 Thank DecFam12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Richmond
#5 of 14 in Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond
#4 of 14 in Richmond

Been to The Bennett House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!