“Awesome motel for the money!”

Econo Lodge Fort Knox
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Radcliff
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed for one night while in the area. When I arrived without a reservation in place at about 4 pm, I observed the property to be extremely nice looking, clean, in good repair, and with no shady people or vehicles lurking about. The evening-shift front desk clerk was polite, helpful, and extremely nice. My cost was $70.77 per night with the government employee discount. There was a computer in the clean lobby with internet access - I don't know anything about WiFi at this property as I don't carry a laptop with me. As my expectations for "budget" motels (less than $100/night) aren't very high, I figured that this place would be at least adequate for an overnight stay.

There are no pets allowed at this motel, but there are ways around that if you have a small, quiet, clean dog and you request a room on the back side of the property, right??? My room was easy to find and parking was right outside my first floor door.

The room was spotlessly clean: no nasty smells (in fact, there was a pleasant almost-perfume-like smell as if a cleaning product actually smelled nice); both the air-conditioning and the heater functions worked perfectly; the beds were just as clean as my own at home (in fact, the sheets & pillowcases not only of adequate thickness - not threadbare - they felt as if they'd just been ironed with a little starch!); the large TV, microwave, small refrigerator, hair dryer, iron, ironing board, and small coffee maker all worked flawlessly; the upholstery of the chairs in the room was clean; in the double bed rooms, there was an extra pillow on the closet shelf; the towels (washcloth, hand, and bath-sized) were plentiful, fluffy, and even smelled freshly-laundered; the bathroom floor, the toilet, the shower, and the shower curtain were clean; no bugs, no dirt, no grime, and no mold or mildew anywhere. To be honest, I was really surprised at the cleanliness of this "budget" motel.

After settling in, as a coffee drinker, I decided to make a 5-cup pot of joe with the coffee maker on the bathroom sink's counter. There was 1 package of regular brew and 1 package of decaf brew with 3 or 4 little plastic packages containing 2 packs of sugars, 2 packs of creamer, 2 stir-sticks, and a napkin. After starting the pot with the package of regular brew, I grabbed the package of decaf and walked to the office. I asked the front desk lady clerk if I might trade the unopened decaf package for another regular brew package and maybe another couple of packages with sugar/creamer, etc. as I'm a 'round-the-clock coffee drinker and use only sugar in my cup. She disappeared for a minute and returned with 4-5 packages of regular brew and a small styrofoam bowl filled with individual sugar packets and said, "How's this for ya?" Wow!

Into the evening hours and overnight, there were no noises at all from any other guests. I would recommend staying on the back side of the building as the front side is on the major 5-lane street in Radcliff. Later in the evening, I went to the lobby to check my email on the computer. There was another guest on it and I milled around for a couple of minutes, but he apparently was gonna be awhile. I smiled & waved to the front desk lady clerk and returned to my room. About 15-20 minutes later, the phone in my room rang. The front desk lady clerk advised me that the other guest had left the lobby and the computer was open for use. Wow! The neighborhood/area around the motel is very nice and I wasn't uncomfortable at all taking my small, quiet, clean dog for a little walk at about 10 pm.

The beds were firm (as I like 'em) and I slept like a baby. The next morning, while filling up my cooler for the road trip, I discovered that the nearby ice machine worked flawlessly. The continental breakfast in the breakfast room next to the lobby was more than adequate: cereal, fruit, breads, coffee, no juice, milk, or yogurt, but this wasn't the Holiday Inn Express either. Check-out by the day shift front desk clerk was quick, professional, and friendly.

I'm not a world traveler; I stay overnight out-of-town in motels a few times a year. I like motels where you can park right outside your door. I like first floor rooms - easy in, easy out with a minimum of interaction with other humans. This place met my requirements when I pulled in the driveway. I was not prepared for the outstanding level of customer service provided by the front desk staff and the absolute cleanliness of the room. For less than a hundred bucks a night, this EconoLodge is a gem. I would stay there again and I would certainly recommend this location to anyone in the area.

Room Tip: Since there is a main street on the front side of the property, choosing a room on the back side is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Eric M
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Fort Knox

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My stay at this hotel was really just right. My son was injured in Afghanistan and I needed to come spend some time with him. The hotel is close to the Army base , so he could come at his lunch break and after hours. It gave him time to rest and visit . There are restaurants near by as well as some shopping areas and a theater.
The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable, and the staff here are very friendly. My stay was for five days and four nights. Although check out time is at noon, the owner gave me permission to remain in my room until my son comes to get me at 5:00 p.m, no charge.
All in all my experience here was great. I plan to stay here again if I get the opportunity to come visit my son again.
If you are looking for comfort, a friendly place to stay, with low rates, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are probably quieter, though the street noise is very minimal at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patty S
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is fairly close to a number of fast food restaurants, and on the main drag about 2 miles from FT Knox (don't know why else you would stay here)) I stayed for 10 nights without problems. Comes with microwave, & small refrigerator, Internet worked. The room was very small. Breakfast is (below) standard nothing special. I found the beds to be very hard. The walls are thin and just about every night I would be awakened by the blasting radio in some inconsiderate person's car passing by. The property is older and it shows in many places. The staff was polite & helpful. The breakfast area spacious. The outside pool was closed so I didn't get to use it. . The area seems safe. Know you can do much better just a few miles up the road (this place is over priced) unless you get a phenomenal rate!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank traveling_frank
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was really surprised when I stayed at this hotel with my family. The service was incredible; everybody was extremely friendly. The hotel was over the top clean. I would highly recommend this hotel, and I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stacey W
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I travel a lot and we have been back and forth to Fort Knox, quite a few times with lots of work... The people at this hotel are some of the best, Kentucky has some really awesome people anyway, so it makes it even better when they are also at the place you set up and call home for a while. They are very clean nice rooms..From Lisa at the front desk..who just makes sure you get the best room and Nancy and Debra who makes sure they are the cleanest and you have everything you need. Just loved them people, so anytime we have to go back that is where we will stay. Another thing, this place is in the middle of everything you could need, most even walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank lora k
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I know, that title doesn't say a lot. But this motel is really pretty good. The rooms are fairly big and have fridges and microwaves, the location is great, and the staff is friendly. My only complaint is that the rooms are noisy! I could hear everything going on next door (or outside). And the breakfast is basic, at best. There are nicer hotels on the south side of town. But this is a good deal... and it's much closer to Fort Knox.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TylerTV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radcliff
Gold Vault Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#9 of 18 in Elizabethtown
Super 8 Radcliff Ft. Knox Area

Been to Econo Lodge Fort Knox? Share your experiences!