“Quiet and Refreshing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pineville
Zionville, North Carolina
“Quiet and Refreshing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our family stopped by Pine Mountain on the way to Cincinnati. It was the first time in over ten years that we had been here. Our past experiences here had been good, and I was looking forward to taking my children there for their first time.

As I had remembered, the lodge and surrounding facilities were very well kept. Extremely clean! The staff was friendly and helpful.

Our room- we had a double. The beds are small- not your double queen. We spoke to another guest at dinner and this was their only complaint as well. Our room was very clean as well. The bathroom was a bit small, especially for a big family. I loved having a deck to overlook the mountains.

Facilities- We used the swimming pool the most. It's great for a family. Spotless as well! The pool is rather large, in an L shape. This pool has a rubbery coating on the bottom of the pool, making it very easy on bare feet. Another thing that I like is that one section of the pool is zero entry. This is great for toddlers and little kids. The other end of the pool goes to about 4 1/2 or five feet deep for the bigger kids. There are plenty of seats, bathrooms just outside the gate, and towels provided by the lodge. Be aware that you do have to walk across the parking lot to get to the pool.

Basketball court- My boys took advantage of this. Although we didn't know about it, the front desk allowed them to borrow a ball.

Dining Room- One disappointment from our stay was dinner. In the past, I've really enjoyed the buffet dinners at the restaurant. On this night, there was not a buffet, so we had to order off of the menu. The food was fine, but it was quite expensive. The kids menu only went up to age five so a couple of our boys were ordering off of the regular menu. The meal for our family of five cost almost fifty dollars, and this was with ordering water for everyone. I would appreciate a more kid friendly menu.

I will add that we ate breakfast at the lodge the next morning, and we were very pleased with our meal(both quality and price).

Location- There are several neat things to do within a few miles of Pineville. Just up the mountain past the lodge is the overlook of Pineville and a 1/2 mile hike to Chained Rock. The hike to the rock is quite a pull coming back up. I was a little anxious with our kids on the rock itself. Make sure you supervise kids carefully here. For those who don't want to hike, there is an overlook about 50 yards off the parking lot.

About 10 miles back down the road in Middlesboro is Cumberland Gap. It's well worth the drive to see the views from the Pinnacle Overlook.

Through the Cumberland Gap Tunnel in Harrogate is the Abraham Lincoln Museum at Lincoln Memorial University. This took about 40 minutes and was really neat.

Final thoughts- very quiet and relaxing. Well kept and clean. Excellent service. I do wish the rooms were a little bigger. I would certainly visit here again.

Room Tip: A top level floor may provide a better view from the deck. You can also get a AAA discount.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tuckasegee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sparta, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Pine Mountain is the oldest park in the KY park system. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and well-kept. The room was quite comfortable. I had lunch in the lodge and it was very good.

My only complaint, however, was the service. The hostess, I thought, wasn't very friendly. She showed me to my seat and, literally, threw the menu on the table. The time I was visiting the lodge was preparing for the local prom being held there that evening. My server was helping with the set-up. There were very few people in the dining area, but the hostess made no attempt to follow up with guests. She, instead, spent her time on her cell phone presumably texting.

There are some wonderful trails in this park. Some of them are strenuous so be prepared. One of the most popular trails, to Chain Rock, has benches placed strategically along the trail so that you can take a breather if necessary.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank captkirk155
saint louis, missouri, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My aim for traveling here was to research family history. In the meantime, I fell in love with the area.
Upon check-in, Miss Jan was wonderful, cheerful, helpful. We stayed in a one-bedroom cabin--one king bed, and a sleeper-sofa was available, although I could've easily slept in the main room chair/ottoman. The cabin had a compact, but very clean and functional kitchen--stove, oven, microwave, fridge--, a good-sized 'family-room' area with a gas fireplace and cable television, a comfortable bedroom and a non-cramped bathroom (with an ironing board, an iron, and a hair dryer). Everything was clean, and maid service was non-invasive, as you put your dirty linens and your garbage (in different cans) outside, and had your garbage removed, and clean replacement linens left outside.
Any complaints? Hmmm. Minor things. The toilet seat had been affected by the humidity in the bathroom--it was one of the classic, particle-board things, so a bit of the white finish had chipped off here and there. Really, no big thing, as everything looked very well scrubbed--it's just one of those things, where if it was your house, you'd be like, hmm, gotta replace that... And the only other issue--but given the time of and weather during our trip, it wasn't much of an issue at all--was that the windows didn't have screens. The inside of the cabin stayed wonderfully cool even as the temps outside climbed to the high 70s; I just wonder that, if we visited later in the spring, that mosquitos could zoom in. I wouldn't want to miss the fresh air, but with no screens, I think I'd be bombarded by those nasty little blood-suckers...
But, all in all? Shoot. I'd be happy as heck LIVING in one of these cabins. They are well maintained, historically interesting, have wonderful views and beautiful animals in the area, oh--and some darned good food in the Lodge restaurant-- I've been home less than 24 hours, and am trying to figure out when I can go back...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank lasirene71
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

The first time my wife and I stayed at Pine Mountain State Park we were just passing through, and stayed only one night. We booked a one-bedroom cabin and were assigned cabin 216, which is one of the cabins built in the '30s, by the CCC. We had such a wonderful time we have returned 3 times since then. The cabin had a fireplace right in the middle, with a bed against the back of the great stone chimney, and a sitting area in front of the fireplace. These cabins have obviously been well maintained, given that they are 80-or-so years old. They are real log cabins, built with logs, not just a brown house in the woods, which is the case with so many "cabins" these days. (A note on that: if you want one of these original cabins, make sure that when you go to the booking website, you select 1 br cabin with wood-burning fireplace. The second time we visited the Park, we neglected to do this and when we got there, we had been assigned one of the other 1 br "cabins", which have gas fireplaces, and are duplexes. It was okay, but not nearly as enjoyable.)
The other 3 times we've gone, we asked for cabin 216. Guests are provided with all the firewood they can burn, in a chest just outside the cabin door, and the wood supply is replenished each day. The fireplace is what we enjoy the most about the cabins...I can't say much about the rest of the Park because we hardly leave our cabin when we're there. I would recommend bringing a firestarter of some kind, and also some kindling -- most of the wood provided is good firewood, but it's quite large, and can be hard to get going without some medium-sized wood to help the process.
I can't say enough good things about the old cabins at Pine Mountain State Park. It has become a special place of retreat for my wife and me. We've never stayed for more than a couple days at a time, but we've always been glad we went!

Room Tip: If you want a wood-burning fireplace in your cabin, make sure you book a "1 br cabin with wood...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Kyphil
Barbourville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family and I stayed at Pine Mountain State Park December 14 and 15th in a two bedroom cabin. As always had a wonderful experience. We only live about 25 minutes from the park so it is a place we visit when we want to relax! You don't always have to drive far to have a vacation. It is always clean and comfortable, we never have to worry about that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Amy6872
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am writing as a true fan of Ky State Parks, we have been coming here to Pine Mtn. State Park Lodge for a few years now. The folks here are very nice, however, the important essentials of the resort are falling off. Lets face it, the most important things at any hotel are the bed and the shower! The beds here are ridiculous....they are cheap and hard as a brick. The water pressure and temperature control in the showers/bath are non-existent. The simple things such as carpet and bedding/curtains need a serious cleaing or total update. Flat screen TV's while not a must, would be an upgrade and arent that expensive anymore. Internet connectivity is poor and could be upgraded cheaply...The lodge just needs a few minor upgrades.....and this would be wonderful again! I am in room 243...if they offer you this room, just ask if the mattresses have been changed and if the water problems have been fixed. Man, what a missed opportunity for my state to present a crown jewel resort....I am going to travel more state parks in the coming year, I hope this isnt the new standard.

Room Tip: make sure you bring your own food and snacks, the closest food (besides dining room) is about 5 or 6...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank scotty b
sterling, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently had out family reunion here at this park. We rented about five cottages and spread them out among our family. They were very comfortable and very suitable for our event. I stayed in the main cottage that had a big room for gathering and all the kitchen facilitues. Everything we needed was ther for us. The prices were good and the rooms were very clean and well kept. The park itself is very nice. We went on two hikes that gave taste of the beauty of southeast Kentucky. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to stay away from all the hustle and bustle of city life.

Room Tip: Cottage 290 was the one we stayed in. Its spacious for two families with two bedrooms and two baths...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hallrk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pineville
Sleep Inn & Suites Middlesboro
Cumberland Gap Inn
Cumberland Gap Inn
#2 of 2 in Cumberland Gap
The Olde Mill Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Pine Mountain State Resort Park? Share your experiences!