“Highlight of my WEG trip”
Review of First Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
First Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Highlight of my WEG trip”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I went to Kentucky for the World Equestrian Games and to visit a friend in Bellevue KY.
Although the Games were great, being from California I really wanted to experience a trail ride in Kentucky. I could not have found a better place and I am so thankful Jen was there that day, and accomodated me on very short notice.
She and I had a great time, which included a lesson and a ride on her gorgeous property. Her respectful and gentle method with her horses and student (which I perpetually am) was perfect. The rolling hills, the foliage and pond.....all of it provided what I expected Kentucky to be. Jens expert horsemanship showed thru from the start when she selected Blue as my ride for the day. Perfect for me. I am always inspired when it is so clear that someone is sharing their gifts with others. Jens love of horses and hospitality shine brightly.
Rosanna

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank 1trailatatime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Inman, South Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I booked a reservation at this B & B because we were going away for our anniversary. We like to stay at B & B's when we go away for a weekend without the kids. We were traveling to Petersburg, KY to see the Creation Museum.

Since we were staying at a B & B, my wife and I envisioned a nice, romantic atmosphere...a place filled with antiques and cozy decor. We were suprised to find the house decorated with Star Trek memorablia...but maybe those were antiques! The room was not cozy and inviting and the towels were horribly scratchy. The toilet had to be plunged, the shower would not drain and the curtain was coming down...too much work for vacation. We decided to check out after just one night and fled to the Westin in Cinncinatti even though we were told we'd have to pay for all 3 nights. Before we left, we did enjoy a nice breakfast and met the other guests, also headed to the Creation Museum. The B&B lived up to our expectations in one area...the family dog was a hoot.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
13 Thank richandleigh
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
People hate being held responsible for their decisions. While we held this reservation for Rich and Leigh (after they'd already changed it once without penalty), they changed their minds again. Since we were given no notice and had turned down many others who would have enjoyed the stay, we charged them for the three day stay. A nasty review is their revenge -- interesting how that fits with their "Christianity."

Funny that they didn't notice the vintage 1870s matching oak bedroom set in their room, but were offended by the coffee cups and a couple of other Star Trek things on top of the TV in the family room. The room is just as it appears in the photos on our website and as shown in our Kentucky Educational Television program.

The toilet wasn't stopped up before they used it, nor have any other guests have problems with it since they left. Perhaps they didn't push the handle down? The drain in that tub can be inadvertantly closed, and consequently we have written directions in the room. Several years ago, an elderly couple had difficulty understanding it.. None of of the guests since they were here have had a problem -- as we have specifically asked.

When we investigated, a couple of rings on the shower curtain had been torn loose, we've replaced the curtain with one with metal grommets, tho we can't keep people from ripping it open, just like we can't determine how they clog the toilet...

Our website reiterates that we are as environmentally responsible as possible. That includes hanging laundry outside to dry. That means 100 percent cotten bath sheets aren't "fluffy" like when all the chemical fabric softeners are added to the dryer, but most people appreciate that. We have some regular guests who like their towels dried in the dryer and do it on request. There are also additional towels available under the sinks (had they listened during their house tour) that are made differently and are softer.

The other guests staying at the same time marveled at what wonderful breakfasts these people missed and how strange it was that they just left without explanation.
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My sole purpose for this trip was to visit the nearby Creation Museum. I selected The First Farm Inn simply because it was the closest lodging available. I was pleasantly surprised by all the amenities and the unique way this lodge operates. I arrived at 6:00pm on a Saturday, only to find the house completely empty. There was a sign on the front door advising me to check myself into my room. Different, but who wouldn't love having a big house like this all to themselves for a while? Although not Victorian in style, it has the feel of a Victorian mansion in some of the rooms and guests can walk through and use any of them. The in-room mini-fridge was well-stocked with soft drinks (you are not charged for what you drink as in a hotel), the room was large, and the breakfasts were huge and made-to-order. There is a hot tub in back, a comfortable hammock in front, as well as a swing on the porch and several rocking chairs. The horse-riding lessons were informative. I had never ridden one before, but I ended up riding on 2 consecutive days; when I left home I didn't think I'd even be riding one day. There are other friendly animals: At least 3 cats and an adorable dog who loves to fetch his volleyball for guests who will kick it for him. I spent a fair amount of time playing with him. I noticed a surprising amount of people left feedback here about this being a family's home and how they were uncomfortable, particularly with the daughter. However, one must realize that is precisely what this is, someone's home that you are staying in, yet you are free to use just about all of it (dining room, living room, family room), etc. The daughter appears to be about 15 now and is well-mannered based on the one time I met her, so no problem there. All in all, an enjoyable stay and I would book a room here if I ever came back to this region again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGuyChicago
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We spent a night at First Farm Inn coming back from a European trip. This was the perfect place to unwind after a long flighgt and before heading home to our regular life again. The owners were absolutely delightful and pleasant to be around including their teenage daughter. The farm itself sits beautifully and although the highway is relatively close, it never bothered us. The breakfast was delicious and we sure wish to have Jen & Dana at our house every morning!! Being that we also own a small horse breeding and training facility we were pleased to see how well the horses were cared for. We can't wait to have some time for another small getaway at FFI.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dry Ridge, Kentucky
Reviewed May 5, 2010

My review is a bit late in coming, but I didn't know this site existed until recently.

Hubby surprised me with a Mothers Day getaway in 2004 at First Farm Inn. We are from Northern Ky and he felt staying close to our home would ease our minds about the pets and teenagers at home...a phone call away.

I seriously thought I was being abducted, my only instructions were to pack lightly!! Imagine my surprise when we pulled up at the lovely farmhouse and there were horses...to RIDE!

A peaceful beautiful stay, with a massage after a long day in the saddle.
I really enjoyed the hands on experience with the horses,[ you learn how to care for your horse from brushing to saddling to bathing after wards] I wasn't a novice with horses, but hubby was and Jen's instructive methods were a bonus. I was very happy to see she has a SAFETY first motto. We had never stayed at a B&B before and loved the family atmosphere, so generous to to share your family with up-to-then complete strangers. So beautiful to wake up hearing the horses outside calling to each other.

I had been raised into and later worked in the Thoroughbred racing industry, but had been horse-less for over a decade. After our experience I was soon able to convince hubby that horses were in our future and within a few years we too acquired a 1800's farmhouse with some acreage and have our own horses.

A beautiful place to stay, I would recommend First Farm Inn to ALL my horse friends.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Crest Hill, Illinois
Reviewed May 4, 2010

First Farm Inn is a most welcoming inn after a long day of travel. We enjoyed the setting - a beauiful farmhouse, and the family, who have become very good friends and the horses, dog and kitties. We really enjoyed the ambience and concern for our happiness while we were there. The family are genuinely interested in you but never nosy, just warm and friendly. And all the animals are great. I took a horseback riding session with Jen and learned a lot from her, though I had been riding at home for years. She is a top notch riding instructor and very concerned about your safety and enjoyment. We will be visiting her again in a few weeks and I can hardly wait. Also, she is a great cook and you will love her breakfasts - they are exceptional. She now has a cookbook which I intend to add to my collection,
If you want a warm welcome and to have happy memories that will make you want to go back, stay with Jen and her family at First Farm Inn.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We had a wonderful horseback riding experience here, with myself riding for over 40 yr and a degree in Equine Science I thought the explanation & instruction given to my Fiance who had only been on "rental" horses 2 times before was the best I ever heard in a "public" stable. Most places just get you on the horse and give you some basic info but here you actually learned to control your own horse not just follow in line with the other horses.

Once we went out of the arena we had a beautiful trail ride and even saw a fox. I'm sure in the fall with the colors it is even more wonderful.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 7 in Lawrenceburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport
Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Florence/Cincinnati Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Lawrenceburg

Been to First Farm Inn? Share your experiences!