“Treated like a child.”
Review of First Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
First Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Petersburg B&B and Inns
Kentucky
Reviewed June 25, 2006

positives:
Grounds are beautiful.

negatives:
Riding horse felt more like a chore. You are expected to get your horses ready and to also bathe them after the ride.
I could see and hear the highway from the hot tub.
Privacy is minimal. You should expect that they will go into your room to straighten if you are gone.
Advertised as a romatic place, but the bed squeaks loudly and they live right upstairs with their 10 year old daughter.
Breakfast was just ok, but by that point I was ready to get out of there.

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

At the classic "rent-a-horse" place, you walk up and flop on a horse that's been standing in the sun with a saddle on all day. Usually his feet are cracked and his ribs are sticking out. His eyes are dull and his coat is dirty. You can tell how miserable his life is. Your feet may or may not reach the stirrups. You follow nose-to-tail on a path.

For me, riding is about getting aquainted with the horse and building a relationship. Life experiences are about learning. That's what I do, attempt to help people better understand horses and themselves.

I use grooming and tacking up time to observe riders, make sure they're matched well with their horse and explain the importance of posture and balance. Most people enjoy that.

Some people don't. When people switch their minds to negative, they find fault with everything. We've all met people like that. They're not fun to be around. Wish we could weed them out.

The website gives a complete description of my rides and I explain my approach to anyone who asks.

Reviewed June 22, 2006

We would like to be able to report on the overall service and the enjoyment of our experience with this particular Inn. We were looking forward to it! However due to their unusual policies... we cannot.

In planning our family trip to the south for the very first time, we thought it would be fun to incorporate a stop at this nice looking Farm Inn. So, we booked the date.

About a week prior to our departure, we realized it would make a more pleasurable stop on the return than on the way down to our final destination. The Innkeeper changed the date to following week, indicating that since we had rescheduled for another available day/room, all was fine.

Then, about a week before our return trip, we realized we would not be able to make the long drive in a day (from prior weeks experience) and asked if we could shift our reservation. Saturday rather than Friday.

The Innkeeper said, that she would do it ONLY if she could book our former Friday room. We asked if the Saturday rooms were yet booked and she said no - but that she would not switch our day without booking the former? We waited, and did not hear back from her on that Wednesday (as she had promised). So, we called again on Thursday morning.

She said she could had not booked our former room and that we would be responsible to pay the full room rate whether or not we decided to come on Saturday?? If we chose to come on Saturday (since there was still an open room) - than we would be paying DOUBLE.

So we decided to pay 1/2 price for nothing, rather than double for something. Despite the fact that she had an available room on Saturday anyway. Why not switch us and let us enjoy the room and farm and be writing a review of pleasant experience here. Rather than one of regret. We travel often and have many friends and work associates who would have appreciated a review and may have also visited. Oh well.

So, be careful if you reserve with these folks. Because, if like many people travelling with children... plans can change. You WILL be billed for your full room rate. No matter what the circumstances. Even if they have other days/rooms available.

I am sure it is lovely there, but I have no way of knowing. Despite the fact that they now have $150.26 from me. I sure am glad 98% of all hotels/Inns do not operate with this policy or I would be broke!

Happy Travels.

Stayed: June 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

Being a two room B&B, we cannot offer the last-minute cancelation policies that 200-room hotels offer. This is explained on our website and in our confirmation emails.

Despite that, we attempt to be as accomodating as possible.

The first time this woman called at the last minute to reschedule, despite losing the night's revenue, just to be nice, I allowed her to switch dates.

That meant I turned down others who wanted to book multiple nights and lost revenue for multiple nights. Then, she called again wanting to switch again.

My desire to accomodate her ended. Then she retaliated by lowering our ranking on TripAdvisor.

Hundreds of guests, also traveling with children (which was her excuse for the constant changes) book with us annually and do not attempt to change dates multiple times in the last days before their scheduled arrival.

Reviewed March 16, 2006

First Farm Inn is a country bed and breakfast in a restored 1870's farmhouse. It has provided me with the ultimate relaxing getaway, even though it's only 20 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. I prefer the inn's upstairs room with its supremely comfortable bed, big windows and views of woods and fields and horses. If you love horses, you can bring your horse with you and ride during your stay, or go riding on one of the many horses that the inn owns. If you want horses only as scenery, that's fine, too. For extra relaxation, you can enjoy the enormous two person shower that comes with the upstairs suite or the hot tub on the downstairs patio, or you can arrange for a professional massage in your room. You'll need to bring your appetite: the breakfast is beyond wonderful, uses fresh local ingredients and is the best I've had out of dozens of B & B's I've visited in the U.S. and Europe. And First Farm Inn is a bargain, with midweek rates of $117-126 and weekend rates of $126-135.

2  Thank RobinPrincipessa
Reviewed January 23, 2006

The 1870's farm house is a beautiful setting.
My husband and I stayed here and loved it so much, we took our daughters back with us the second time.
The girls wanted to go somewhere to ride horses and this was the perfect place. They had so much fun.
The rooms are so clean, bright and wonderful.
The beds are great!
Jennifer was a wonderful hostess. The breakfast she fixed was so tasty.
I know anyone who stays here will enjoy it as much as we did!!

4  Thank kim c
Columbus, OH
Reviewed December 19, 2005

We visited First Farm Inn over the 4th of July. There was a beautiful vintage farmhouse in a serene country setting. We instantly felt at home except it was a much more relaxed environment and that was what we were looking for. A local restaurant was recommended for dinner, which exceeded our expectations and we were able to find the perfect place to watch a spectacular fireworks display. We not only enjoyed the breakfast at the inn, but also the friendly conversation with the inn's family. We felt very comfortable and welcomed. Jen took us for a ride on their horses and her knowledge and compassion for the horses really impressed us. It had been quite a while since we had ridden and in a short time, she had us feeling comfortable being back in the saddle. We would definitely go back. In fact, winter would be a beautiful time to visit.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
Reviewed December 5, 2005

We had an absolutely wonderful time at this inn. We arrived on a Friday night and instantly felt right at home. The Inn is decorated beautifully and fits the country setting to a T. The nights were peaceful and quiet. Saturday morning brought a great horseback ride around the farm. Jen made the perfect coack and quickly brought confidence to my girlfriend, who has little experience on horseback. We were wishing by Sunday morning that we didn't have to leave.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
Reviewed December 5, 2005

The First Farm Inn was my first Bed and Breakfast stay and I am so glad that I picked this one to stay at. The Inn Keepers are wonderful, professional, and very warm and welcoming. We went horseback riding after breakfast and I have to admit that I was a little scared because of previous incidents with horses, however; Jen was great at reassuring me and showing me how to handle the horse with ease. The Inn's decor was relaxing and very welcoming from the moment we pulled into the drive. The animals there are all very friendly and loving. I look forward to being able to stay with them again in the future. I highly recommend them to all of my friends and family and have even recommended them on my own personal website.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Cincinnati Airport, KY
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#6 of 7 in Lawrenceburg

Been to First Farm Inn? Share your experiences!