“Great Museum---lots of information”
Review of Creation Museum

Creation Museum
ogden, IL
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Museum---lots of information”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Lets face it....most of the reviews on here are belief based---so let me clarify, yes, I believe in God and believe he created the heavens and the earth. My main purpose in visiting the Creation Museum was to help combat all of the one-sided evolution info that my kids get at school. Putting aside the belief aspect for a second....review on the museum....

Very nice facility, clean and very well kept. I didn't feel anything was 'cheaply' done. The gardens are BEAUTIFUL. Little disappointed in the petting zoo, but my kids are getting past that stage (they are 13, 11 and 6)....so it was okay. My husband and I absorbed a ton of info at the museum. My 11 and 13 year old probably got about 75%. My 6 year old was more in the 50% range but had fun. We all really enjoyed the Noah's ark exhibit...that was very neat and well done! The Men in White show was awesome. The planetarium shows were good. We paid the $10 to see both shows...could have seen just the one that does the whole Cosmos...really makes you think about how small we are in the grand scheme...that was very neat. The walk thru portion gets long and I even found myself wanting a break at the end. Maybe a lunch break in between would have been a good idea for us, but we went straight thru. Overall very nice trip, can't complain about much at all.....

3 Thank tammyvallee

Dublin Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Don't Go Here. And if you do, please don't bring your children.”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Built in May 2007 and privately funded by Answers in Genesis, a non-profit Christian ministry, the Creation Museum posits a literal reading of the Bible, and, more specifically, the Book of Genesis. Throughout the museum, you can expect exhibits to reinforce a number of concepts, among them that the Earth was created approximately 6000 years ago (in exactly 6 days), that humans and dinosaurs coexisted, and that the Theory of Evolution is essentially a string of far-fetched assumptions and assertions. Of course my disclaimer is that I neither endorse these concepts nor believe them. In fact, having extensively studied the field of Biology, I find it repulsive. However, I hope to provide as objective a review as possible. The Creation Museum embodies one aspect of American culture, the religious conservative right.

Admission to the museum is steep to say the least: Adults expect to pay $22.00 for a day's pass while further being pimped for a $7.00 planetarium ticket. I didn't go. For Seniors, $17.00, for children $12.00 to get into the museum. It appears that the proprietors of the Creation Museum are exceptionally savvy when it comes to squeezing money from visitors; 2-day passes as well as annual passes are available at equally steep prices. The gift shop dinosaur souvenirs are exorbitant and the food and beverages in the cafe are gouged.

One show included with our ticket was "The Men in White," a "mutimedia experience" involving 2 angels and a confused teenager contemplating the meaning of life. At one point, the great flood happens and water squirts at your face from the seat in front of you. That's special effects.
As for the rest of the museum, there appeared to be an overcompensation for the lack of true scientific evidence. For example, volunteers and employees wear safari vests with Smithsonian-like logos, and exceptional pains were taken to ensure exhibits were, at the very least, visually appealing. This indeed is not an amateur operation. There was, however, an underlying defensiveness in every exhibit and display; distinct attention given to refuting well-accepted (and substantiated) concepts of modern science. This ultimately gave the general feel of the "museum" one of---made-upness.

A few things one might see in the museum include an audio-animatronic velociraptor, a 1% scale replica of Noah's Ark, some quite creepy Adam and Eve walk-through scenes, at least one dinosaur with a saddle for children to climb aboard, and a very healthy dose of scripture and Bible excerpts.

All told, I felt that the cultural exposure and supreme irony gained did not justify the very steep price tag and incessant discomfort. Don't go here, and if you do, please don't bring your children.

47 Thank ekbrothers
SE Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Not for children!”
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Setting all religious beliefs aside, I would never have took my children (ages 2 and 6) to this museum had I known what to expect. We were hoping for a museum filled with exhibits depicting the wonderful stories in the book of Genesis. Instead we were put in a cattle-herd style line moving through multiple (more than 3/4 of the museum) rooms filled with nothing but reading. After the initial room, we were treated to a very short video of the creation. The video was wonderful until the 6th day, when the introduced dinosaurs into the idea that they lived with man. Casting judgement aside, I was shocked that the 7th day wasn't even mentioned! What about the most important day of all? We are then pushed into several rooms that gear up to this horrific room of "what a world without God looks like" where you'll find videos and pictures of people shooting up, genocide, murders, hate-crimes, etc. Not FAMILY FRIENDLY! While I agree, that a world without God does equal corruption, I don't think this sort of display is appropriate for a place that advertises as a family friendly visit. The biggest problem, is that you are moving along at such a snails pace that you can't move by these horrific scenes quick enough. The exhibits, when you get to them, are colorful and the Noah's Ark room is fun to see. Dinosaurs are EVERYWHERE! They seem to want to make sure you understand their point of view alright. There are cavemen in one exhibit and I thought it very strange that they included cavemen when they preach to be such a "biblically based" museum. Cavemen are more often than not associated with evolution. The museum started the tour with the exclusion of the most important day of God's week, the Sabbath. We should have known then, that they would have gotten just about everything else wrong. And they did.

33 Thank mommytwo2
Indianapolis, Indiana
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Large group - great experience”
Reviewed December 17, 2009

We had a group of about 14 and we had a great time. We were able to take a nice family photo - an usual impossible feat with all of us together. The biblical ideas of the age of the earth & how dinosaurs fit into the picture was enlightening. The exhibits were as good as any Disney production. It is a very well put together musem. Very interactive and enjoyable for all. Great to way discover faith. Check out the petting zoo & grounds. Very beautiful place.

1 Thank JustAskKiky
virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth the trip!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We are a family of seven with children ranging from 11 to 2. Everyone enjoyed it, so much to see. Beautiful gardens, detailed exhibits, very informative. Our favorite was the planetarium. We'll never look at the sky the same way again. Our only caution is that there is a lot of reading and videos to watch. Young children may not be still long enough for you to take everything in. The food inside was reasonable and good. Bring your money because the gift shop is filled to the brim with books, DVD's and more. We stayed at a hotel they recommended, Homewood Suites. Only $119 a night! Great deal for large family when normally would have to get two rooms. Hotel is very new, not perfect, but very accomodating and fun (they have an indoor pool). Breakfast food is plentiful, and they have a weekday dinner which we didn't make in time. Plenty of restaurants in the area and hotel is right behind Wal-mart and I-HOP (which we partook in twice and they were great-birthday deserts for two days of birthdays.) We traveled in August and the weather was great. Again, Worth the trip and perfect for fellow Christians!

2 Thank jawvirginia

Been to Creation Museum? Share your experiences!