“Good food...poor manners”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have never felt so out of place in my life. I live in Paducah, and my family has eaten at d. Starnes once a week almost since they opened downtown. We love the food, and it is reasonably priced. This is why I chose this restaurant to take a group of teenagers to on a day trip. We had someone local come and speak to them about positive attitudes and building the self esteem of others as we ordered and ate. The owner came and asked us that we go ahead and eat because the "regulars" would be coming in and they don't schedule "meetings." In other words, she was telling us to hurry up and eat and leave. We were paying customers! I have never been asked to hurry up and eat at ANY restaurant I've been to. The only difference was that we had someone speaking (a total of 15 minutes) to the kids as we waited on our food. I doubt that the owner would have asked any of the local "suit and tie" customers to hurry up and eat. I thank God that the kids did not hear what this woman said to us...her or the man that also came and spoke to another adult who was chaperoning. This would have crushed them. I have never felt more disrespected in my life, and I will not give my money to someone who feels that their restaurant is too good for a group of very well-mannered teenagers. I will NEVER return to this restaurant. EVER.

2  Thank Local6586

Reviewed March 15, 2011

The most awful 1/2 rack of ribs it has been my misfortune to eat. Boil them pour KC's bbq sauce on them wrap them in plastic and keep in warmer. That's the $9 recipe. You can get better going to the dollar general store and buy the ones in the vacuum pack.

1  Thank killjoy75
Reviewed August 27, 2010

First we noticed other restaurants around Paducah with signs they served Starnes Bar B Q. We had only one sandwich and it was dry and frankly rather tastless. I belive there is better Bar B Q in Paducah and Western Kentucky although this name has been around for many years. Pl;eanty of free parking on the street or across the streeet in a city parking lot. The Bar B Q On The River is scheduled for Paducah in late Setember and this lcoation will be very close to all the other Bar B Q sellers. Should be interesting!! Some days Bar B Q is not as good as it on other days thus we will give this lcoation the benefit of the doubt at this time.

1  Thank texaswillie
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Another waste of time and $$ in Paducah. Pulled pork had NO smoke flavor and was very dry. Salad bar was OK but not worth the $2.50 extra. THIS is NOT a BBQ place.

1  Thank bowman40250
Reviewed September 3, 2009

My husband always says "it ain't good 'que if you can't smell the smoker". Well, we smelled this smoker a mile away. This is a fantastic place to stop and grab a sandwich, they have pork, beef, turkey, and even bologna. This was our first visit, and walking in you could tell it was a "locals" place (my husband also says "never eat at a place the locals won't eat at"). We grabbed us a seat at the counter between a couple of locals who, thank goodness, offered ordering tips. We ordered "dry pork" sandwiches, which meant we would add the sauce ourselves, and potato salad. Our potato salad was served in a small styrofoam cup and our sandwiches were served on grilled bread and wrapped in paper, nothing fancy, but absolutely perferct. We both had R.C. cola's and our bill was under $10.

1  Thank katiedidd