“Pit bar”

Old Hickory Pit Bar-B-Q
Ranked #7 of 177 Restaurants in Owensboro
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We were introduced by friends and had several meals none disappointed and all you can eat menu help your, self deserts to die for.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Owensboro is known for their great BBQ and Old Hickory is the place to go! You can dine in or grab your meat and sides in any quantity to take with you for picnics or dinner at home.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I felt encouraged when we walked in and I could smell the hickory smoke! We had a lite supper. Our server was so friendly, kind, and helpful. I ordered the chicken and asked for it off the pit. What in the heck does that mean? My husband ordered turkey and he did not specify off the pit! Honestly the turkey was slices just like you buy in a deli to make sandwiches, not carved from a turkey breast; more of a lunch meat kind of thing. Neither of us thought the taste was very good. I enjoyed my chicken, though the leg portion was overcooked but the thigh was juicy and tender. Sides of potato salad and beans were very good. We shared a cup of burgoo and it was quite good and reminded me of the burgoo I ate as a kid in Southwestern Indiana! Perhaps a review of barbeque doesn't mean much if one did not taste the ribs, mutton, or pork but food is food and when I mention to someone that a particular item was not up to standard and they tell me, "Oh you should have tried the______." That's always a red flag! I feel that everything on a menu should be a pleasure to taste!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you are in Western Ky , around Owensboro, KY,, you will not want to miss the opportunity to sample some of that regions best BBQ. Now it is not that ordinary Carolina's or other BBQ pig, but BBQ Mutton. Our family and most of the folks in the area claim that Old Hickory has the best.
Ribs, sliced, chopped with a big slice of sweet onion, and pickle chips on a fresh hamburger bun is the best ! Of course there is Burgoo , and other delights like Black Berry cobbler with ice cream on top. The restaurant is clean and nicely decorated with local KY décor. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Sallyman
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Old Hickory is the Best of the Pit. It has won numerous awards and been seen on TV's Travel Channel and Food Channels. It slow cooks meat on its own pits, now housed in a building adjoining the restaurant. The western Kentucky area specializes in mutton, with Old Hickory adding their own special sauce or "dip". The mutton can be purchased sliced, chopped (similar to pulled). The best of the mutton ribs are a special treat, as long as there is not too much fat. Chicken, ham and beef are also available. The restaurant has 2 dining rooms with great service. Burgoo, a Kentucky specialty soup/stew is always on the menu. Pies and cobblers are available for dessert if you haven't eaten too much barbecue.
There is also take-out and a drive-through window, if you can't find a parking place.
As a child, Old Hickory chopped mutton with pickle and onion was a special Sunday treat. Just the smell of the hickory cooking the meat will get your juices flowing.
Old Hickory is where the locals go for good barbecue and not to be missed if you are visiting Owensboro, KY.