“Best Bar-b-q in town!”

Old Hickory Pit Bar-B-Q
Ranked #5 of 171 Restaurants in Owensboro
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Bar-b-q has just the right smoked flavor and sauce for a delightful meal! We all were very pleased with the service that we received as well.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Best BBQ in Owensboro and all of Kentucky. Nothing fancy just good BBQ that is cooked competely on open hickory wood pits.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We drove 2 hours to eat here. It was not worth the drive food was ok service was bad. We tryed the chopped mutton and chopped pork I had better. We will not be back n will not recommended it. We were very disappointed

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I am a BBQ fanatic. In fact, I consider myself a Pit Master as I smoke a lot of meat during the year. So as I travel the hiways and by-ways, I make it a point to stop at a lot of barbecue joints along the way.

Old Hickory BBQ is one of my favorites in Kentucky. Moonlite BBQ is certainly more well known in Owensboro, but in my humble opinion this place has them beat by a country mile. You will find excellent pull pork and ribs at Old Hickory, but if you are in western Kentucky, you have to eat the mutton. Mutton is meat from a sheep that is between one to three years old. The meat tends to be a bit stronger than lamb. When its turned into BBQ -- oh my word -- it is heaven! Very deep, rich flavors. Think beef roast but a whole lot better. The mutton at Old Hickory is as good as it comes.

I always get the ubiquitous cole slaw and baked beans. Cole slaw is always a hit or miss. Their cole slaw is cream (mayo) based. To me, it has a strong taste. I try to figure it out each time, but haven't yet. I did pick up on green peppers. I almost think it has radishes in it too. The baked beans are baked beans. Not bad, just nothing special.

The restaurant is always clean. The service is good too. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We heard a lot about Old Hickory. It was well worth visiting. Started with a cup of Burgoo. What a great soup. The mutton and brisket were a hit. Nicely smokes, generous servings. Coleslaw and baked beans on the side completed our entree. The sweet and spicer sauce is really good. For dessert a piece of ice box lemon pie and cherry cobbler with ice cream was a nice finish. We were able to see the pit afterwards. Talk about smokey goodness. We'll be back.