“Poor ambiance, average indian food”
Review of Basant Indian Cuisine - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Basant Indian Cuisine
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed May 26, 2014

First of all, I love indian food. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. However, Basant is in a former Mexican restaurant. Better ambiance would make the food tolerable. Dimmer lights, private booths with curtains and at least indian music for a start. Feels like a cafeteria in middle school with stem glasses. They did away with the buffet at night. If you truly want authentic, great indian food, go to Evansville just up the road or to Louisville. Basant just needs a little imagination and don't be afraid to be authentic. Don't Americanize it!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We take a 160-mile round trip to come here now and then after moving away from the area. The food is still very good and I can't recommend it enough.

We have eaten here on many occasions and though I love the chicken tikka masala, I would also encourage potential diners to try the buffet which has a choice of foods, all of which are tasty.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you like Indian food, you have to try this place. And, if you don't know about Indian food, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Owensboro is a late comer to ethnic cuisines but I am happy to say that Basant Indian Cuisine was worth the wait. I have tried most of the Indian restaurants in Evansville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Louisville and Cincinnati. Some are really good, some aren't so good. But Indian Basant in Owensboro beats all those, hands down. Finally, a really good Indian restaurant that doesn't require a day trip.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Three of us ate for $35.00. I don't mind spending this money when the food is good. The chicken tikka masala on the buffet is excellent. We have been here before and ordered from the menu, it was also excellent and could be ordered hotter than the buffet. The nahn is good also and the restaurant is always clean.

The buffet has lots of different indian food to try.

They don't seem to be able to keep servers long, as they have a different one each time we visit.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Basant is the only restaurant in Owensboro that offers vegan meals with plenty of protein. The vegetarian dishes also provide more variety and protein than any other local restaurant. These choices, as well as meat options, are well-prepared and delicious. Servings are large and generally provide enough leftovers to take home. Service, however, on this most recent visit was less than satisfactory. The server left and restaurant for an extended period of time and no other server took her place. I had to go to the kitchen to get take-home containers as the server had disappeared. As for the buffet, it didn't look appetizing, as the restaurant had few patrons and the food had not been renewed recently. Basant now boosts a full bar, but when I ordered a Scotch, I was told, "We don't have that." In spite of its flaws, we will return as most of the food is excellent.