“You can't be Serious”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Owensboro
Bloomington, Indiana
“You can't be Serious”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed one VERY LONG night June 30, 2012.

Okay, so at first I thought this was going to be a GREAT experience, I was BEYOND WRONG.

My family and I were traveling (two adults, two 9 yr old kids, and one infant) and the heat was INTENSE (over 100) b/c of this medicines and baby supplies we had in the car were at risk of being ruined and the hotel let us check in early as we were heading to Holiday World (I was so thankful)....However, when we got to the room (which looked fine) the safe didn't work and apparently neither did incoming calls (odd, but the office said they were calling us later). We were bummed but no big deal. We left our bags and didn't return until the evening - when we did the room was really hot.

We tried all we could think of to get the a/c unit working but it just wouldn't blow cold. So, I called it in. The lady said to turn it off and let it sit. We agreed to try but it got so hot, and with our infant who even in diaper only was miserable, we called back. We asked her for a fan to circulate air (it was still over 90 degrees outside even at night!) but she said only if we paid $50.00. I couldn't believe my ears.....

She said the General Mgr told her to charge us $50 for the fan or not give us one. She said we would get the $50 back in the morning. I asked if I would also get the $100 I paid for the room back! I said I wanted to speak to the GM immediately. That I would NOT pay for a fan after paying for a room where the AC didn't work, the phone didn't work, and the safe didn't work. I told her I wanted a refund or a free fan - period.

It took until almost midnight before they brought us a fan. FREE ....yeah, halfway through the night - our stay should have been what was free.

NEVER stay here
I will NEVER go back
WORST experience at a hotel EVER.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Owensboro-Ramada-GM, Manager at Ramada Owensboro, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Humoredcritic,

I remember your stay, and remember receiving calls from my staff overnight upon your return to the hotel. FIrst, let me say, I am glad we were able to check you in early. This is an added benefit we are often able to provide at no additional cost, and I am glad that it was of benefit to you. In reading your review I read that you were upset that we initially wanted to ask for a refundable deposit for the use of the fan. While it may seem odd initially, we ask for deposits in most cases, as fans, and other items provided to guests have often not been returned. I hope you will remember that when you asked for the deposit to be reconsidered I provided the fan at no cost, and without a deposit.

Please know that I was informed that the air conditioner had been allowed to run for several hours with the guest room door completely open. When my maintenance staff visited the room in response to the complaint he found over 10 people in the room, the door wide open, and people moving freely in and out of the room. That action coupled with a day of over 100 degree temperatures, and humidity well into 80% resulted in the condenser coil freezing over. Since your room was a room with an exterior entrance it was subjected to the extreme heat and humidity for several hours. Our AC units are new, work well, and are maintained, but they are not designed to continue working at peak efficiency under those conditions. The hotel was 100% sold out that night. If we had empty and available rooms we would have moved you to another guest room immediately. As it was, given our occupancy, and the manner in which the AC had been used we had few options available. We worked to return the AC to a working condition as quickly as possible, and provided a very efficient digital fan to assist with cooling. I feel we did our best under those circumstances to meet the needs of you and your family. I am sorry we could not do more to immediately remedy the situation.

Lastly, I do recall receiving a call from my front desk when you were checking out, you had requested a discount on your room which I provided. We took an immediate 50% off your bill. I then had a personal conversation with you later, and refunded the remainder of your bill.

Ramada Inn, Owensboro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Don't let the pictures online deceive you. We just stayed at this hotel last week, a block of 10 rooms for my son's travel baseball team, we were in town for the World Series Tournament. The only positive I can say about this hotel is the location was very convenient to the sports complexes and plenty of places to eat, shop, etc. When you walk into the front lobby, your eyes say "looks nice" however just take a small walk into the area where the pool and lounging area are and the first thing you should notice is how extremely filthy the carpet is. I mean it's to the point where you can't even eat in there. Way overdue for a steam cleaning or even carpet replacement. The exercise room was another joke. It has 4 exercise machines and one of them was broke, the tv in there didn't work and the mirrors were very dirty. No towels in there. The pool area was small, and the boys didn't seem to mind, but we were there for 4 days and the pool didn't open until 9:00am and not once did any of us ever see anyone cleaning or maintaining the pool. No towels in the pool area, had to go to the front desk and ask for towels and most of the time there was none available. The floor right outside the pool gate didn't have any rug mats, so the floor was very slippery and you never seen anyone around mopping or maintaining that area. The FREE continental breakfast, that was a joke. frozen eggo waffels and pancakes and and I watched the employee literally pop the whole bag into the microwave to slightly warm them and then tore open and the bag and dumped them into the warmer, most mornings they weren't even hot, the only fruit on the bar was a few small apples, the biscuits and gravy weren't even good, gravy was very watery, like they just kept adding water and using it over and over. One of the rooms in our block, the microwave didn't work, however, they did replace it. Ice machines ~ there were 2 in one location and one of them didn't even work and the hotel had overnight workers that stayed there and they would fill up their large coolers every morning, leaving no ice for the rest of the guests, and the area where the machines were housed, was so disgusting dirty. Right across from that room was a few drink vending machines and that whole area just reaked of stink. Every little nook and cranny in this place was dirty, however, the only employees we ever saw was the housekeeping girls, never saw anyone cleaning or maintaining the inside area, i.e. vaccuming, dusting, cleaning tables off....nothing! I sent my son down to the front desk once to get towels, so we all could shower before his 2nd game of the day and the front desk lady told him "we'll have some in a little bit",so I had to go down there and demand some towels as we needed to get showered and over to the complex, her response was "housekeeping will be around in a little bit". Our complaints were voiced to the front desk at least on 2 occasions and one time the front desk clerk gave me the managers business card and said he would have him call me, and I wanted to speak to a manager and voice my complaints and ask for a room reduction rate, as $80 wasn't even a good bargain for this place, but he never called and on check out I again ask to speak to the manager and again he was not available and I was told to call on Monday to speak with him. DO NOT stay at this hotel, pay a little bit more if you have to and go somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Donna,

I can see from your review that you were unhappy with your stay, and I am sorry to hear that. Our goal is to ensure that all guests are satisfied, comfortable and pleased. Apparently we failed to do that in your case. Please accept my apology for any issues you encountered.

I read that you did not see anyone cleaning or vacuuming the pool. This is because we schedule our cleaning and maintenance of the pool for those hours when it is closed. Our pool cleaning typically takes place in the early morning hours, so that the hoses, brushes, tools, vacuum, etc. do not detract from the quiet, enjoyable use of the pool and the surrounding area. Please know that the pool is cleaned daily, the chemicals checked on a regular basis, and that the water is safe, and sanitary at all times. Please know that just because you have not seen our employees servicing it, does not mean that servicing didn't take place,

We finished renovating the hotel in 2010, with the exception of the flooring in the dining room. Admittedly it is in need of replacement, and that final renovation project is slated for the slow/low occupancy winter months. The hotel has enjoyed high occupancy throughout the 2012 season and we did not desire to inconvenience our guests, or temporarily be unable to provide the free breakfast by tearing out the carpet during the higher occupancy months. We hope that should you return after the 2012 winter you will be able to enjoy our new custom flooring. We have exciting plans for a beautiful custmized floor.

Towels were an unexpected surprising issue. the hotel was 100% sold out for 5 days straight, with the majority of rooms occupied by families participating in a very large children's sports tournament. We ran into an unexpected situation in which most rooms were bathing 4-5 times each day, typically in the morning, inbetween the various games, after swimming and again at night. We went from needing 4 towels per room (the industry standard placement) to approximately 20 towels per room. We held open our laundry room 4-5 hours later each day to launder, dry, fold and deliver the very high volume of towels. This volume of towel demand had not been encountered before with any sports event. I am sorry for the delay you encountered, but I am glad to hear that we were able to provide additional towels in a relatively short time. We immediately purchased additional towels for the next sports event, however, that event did not see the extreme demand for towels we experienced on the weekend of your stay.

We do our best to meet every guests need, though at times, on rare occassions in extreme situations a slight delay may be encountered.

Given the size of this hotel, and the special rate we have available for sports teams on tournament weekends, we see literally hundreds of sports teams each season. I am pleased to say that on almost every occassion the guests are pleased and satisfied. I am sorry your experience was not ideal. I hope you will return to the Owensboro Ramada and give us another try.

Ramada Inn, Owensboro

Travelers are raving about these Owensboro hotels

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just needed a room overnight for a family member, and booked last minute through hotwire. Was concerned at first because it was only rated 2 star. I didn't want to put my mom up overnight in a dive. We booked at a great price, checked in immediately, and were pleasantly surprised upon entering the room. It had been recently renovated. Nice king sized bed, clean, and also had new furnishings. Hot breakfast was included in the morning. Rooms on the inside of hotel are newly renovated. Not sure about outside rooms. Great room for the price. Definately better than other 2 star hotels we have stayed in. Possibly better than most 3 star.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear ALF1978,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you were pleased with your stay. I see that you stayed in July. July is our busiest month, with literally hundreds of families visiting Owensboro for children/teen sports tournaments. We strive to provide an excellent level of customer care and guest service at all times, and I am glad we succeeded. We hope to see you and your family again when you return to Owensboro.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is very run down but there is really not much to choose from close to the Sports Complexes. The location to Fisher Park was less than a 5 minute drive which is a plus!
Our in-room microwave did not work and one of the lamps did not work. However, I only mentioned it to the front desk upon leaving since it wasn't an issue for me on this particular trip and they did at least apologize. We were in room 103 which was located in the wing directly behind the hotel bar/club. Nightclub noise seemed to be an issue with friends in the room two doors down from us but we are all heavy sleepers so it did not bother us. The only reason we stayed here was because our team was in town for a baseball tournament and we tried to keep the overall cost down for all families. The breakfast was just okay. They do have a few hot food choices if they actually heated those items up like they were suppose to. The pre-made pancakes and waffles that were in the heated area were cold both mornings and the second morning the gravy was really watery as if they just added more water to make it go further. The microwave and toaster was on the same outlet and could not be used at the same time or it would switch off.
The kids enjoyed the pool which is located directly off the large breakfast area.
This is not a hotel that I would choose on a normal basis for our family but it suited our teams needs. There were at least three other baseball teams staying there. I gave it 2 stars only because you get what you pay for so I really wasn't expecting it to be a 5-Star hotel. The kids really didn't seem to mind at all. I normally wont stay in anything less than a 3-Star. All the staff that I encountered seemed to be friendly. The hotel just needs some renovations for the most part. Carpet is all worn out in a lot of places.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sherbear4u,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I see you visited us on one of the many summer sports tournament weekends. On those weekends we have literally hundreds of children in the hotel accompanied by their parents. While we strive to provide the same quality at all times, there are times when just the sheer number of people visiting the breakfast area all at the same time has an impact. One of those is that the breakfast food is consumed almost as fast as we can put it out on the buffet. In those few periods, the pancakes and waffles may have recently been placed on the buffet from the refrigerator and may require a short time in the toaster. I apologize if that was the case when you visited the breakfast buffet. Typically our waffles, pancakes, etc. are toasty warm in the steam table chafing dishes. On that weekend we did experience a breaker being tripped when multiple items were used simultaneously. We determined that the load on the one breaker was too high, and have since altered the layout of the buffet, so that high energy appliances are on different outlets/breakers. It was a temporary issue, and easily fixed. I trust you will not find it a repeat issue if should visit our hotel again.

I read that your children enjoyed the pool. I am glad to hear that. Our heated indoor pool is a major attraction for this hotel, and many teams and families select our hotel because we are one of the few Owensboro hotels with an indoor pool.

I carefully read every review and strive to address each issue, and provide a better experience for each guest. I hope you will return next season, we would love to see you.

Memphis
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is pretty average, but considering you're in Owenboro, KY it pretty grand. The rooms are fair, with safe, microwave, refridge, blow dryer, and even a shower cap. The room was clean, and rug was nice enough to walk on with shoes off. This hotel had an indoor pool and arcade games for kids. Pretty cool. It also had a Karokee bar, which was happening for a dull town. I recommend staying here and it's pretty close to holiday city.

Room Tip: Stay inside rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear uwearjeans,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad that you found our hotel to your satisfaction. I read that your review of Owensboro wasn't as great as our hotel. We are excited to announce that Owensboro recently finished constructing Smothers Park on our river front, which is just part of a multi-million dollar river front renovation. I also recently attended an events and festival meeting. We have numerous events and festivals coming up soon. I hope you will visit Owensboro again and visit our new riverfront or maybe take in a broadway type show at our River Park performing arts center. We would love to see you.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

If you want to check in early this hotel isn't for you. We got into town sooner that we expected and stoped at the front desk to see if we could check in any sooner. The front desk people stated we could only check in at 3:00. Now, I have stayed at many hotel chains through out my travels for business and have never been turned away because my room wasn't ready. Most often they get someone to clean it and accommodate. Not this Ramada inn, apparently you cannot check in at 2:59. So now they have created delays for people checking, since they cannot begin any sooner than 3:00. Check in took almost 30 minutes due to the number of people checking in at one time.

This was my first stay with Ramada Inn and my last.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Ramada Owensboro, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
FIrst, I would like to apologize for the delay in your check-in process. I know that after a long travel to the destination, the first thing a guest wants is to quickly settle into the room. I understand the delay must have been a frusteration. I would like to attempt to explain the situation. This hotel is the largest hotel in Owensboro, and typically has sufficient rooms open to allow any guest to check-in immediately upon arrival regardless of the time of day. About 5 weekends out of the year we experience a time constraint which makes this difficult. On those five weekends the hotel sells 100% of the rooms Friday night and Saturday night. Those weekends are typically Jr. High and High School age sports tournaments. Roughly half the guests from Friday depart on Saturday as their teams did not advance. Check out time is 12:00 noon, and our check in time is 3:00. This results in a 3 hour period of time to clean roughly 70-90+ rooms. Typically this is not an issue, however, the families arriving on Saturday desire to check into their rooms immediately upon arrival at the hotel. In many instances the time of arrival is even earlier than the checkout time, which means the guests from Friday are still in the room. This is a physical time and occupancy issue that is difficult to resolve. So, on those few weekends we have to hold the departure time very firm, we unfortunately can not allow late checkouts. However, we have to also hold the check-in time very firm. Please note that this need to stay very accurate on arrival and departure times is only on a few weekends out of the year. I can see that your review date was July 1. The stay that you are referencing was one of those weekends. While the need to not allow an early checkin was unfortunate, the physics of time did not allow any alternative. I do not see any issues with your room noted in your complaint, so I am glad to see that the room was satisfactory once you checked in. I note that you say you will not stay at another Ramada. It is my hope that the rare situation of that exceptionally full weekend will not result in your avoiding our hotel or the Ramada chain. We absolutely welcome another chance to see you in the future.

Ramada Inn
Illinois
Reviewed June 17, 2012

When I check Trip Advisor, I usually read a few positive comments and then I read most of the negative ones. When I booked this property, I was a bit reluctant but did so because it was more affordable and we were not planning to be in the room for a majority of the time. I am so glad that I chose Owensboro Ramada. I was able to talk directly to the front desk when I called to enquire about availability and pricing. I got a terrific rate and a reservation placed without leaving a credit card number. Upon arrival, we were allowed to check in a bit early. The room was very nice and clean. Eventhough it was a smoking room, it smelled fresh. The drapes were room darkening, the refrigerator and microwave were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the pillows were free of stains. The hotel staff was quite accommodating and knowledgable about the area. We used the pool, which was clean and well maintained. We used the wi fi in the room constantly, it was reliable and quick. The continental breakfast included biscuits and gravy. My only real complaint was that the waffles and pancakes on the breakfast bar were gone at 7:30 am and when I asked the young lady who was tending the area if there was any more available, she stopped reading her book and brought out some frozen ones in a bag. She then informed me that I could use the microwave if I wanted to. With the exception of a not so enthusiastic breakfast server, the rest of the staff that we encountered we're more than happy to help us in any way possible. I would recommend this property to anyone, and would stay there myself again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kathy B,

Thank you for your kind review. I am very glad that your stay was excellent. We take great efforts to ensure it, and work to address any issue that may arise. I read your comment about the breakfast staff with great concern. My staff are not to be sitting and reading on shift, and I sincerely apologize that this was the case. Shortly after reading your review it became apparent that this new employee was not meeting the standard we expect of our Ramada staff. She has since found other employment. I am very pleased with my current breakfast staff, and feel you will be to. If you should return to Owensboro I hope you will stay with us again, and enjoy another comfortable and relaxing stay.