“Great little short vacation.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carter Caves State Resort

Carter Caves State Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olive Hill
Kentucky
“Great little short vacation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We went here after realizing that any other state park would be too hot in August, we thought taking a nice cool cave tour in the mid-afternoon would be more tolerable. This was a very nice park, small enough to get most places by car or bicycle in a matter of a couple of minutes, but large enough to have plenty of activities to keep you occupied. The caves were pretty neat, and of coarse nice and cool. The tour guides were good for the most part, one of them seemed aloof at first but he got better and all the other ones were good. Unfortunately only 2 caves were open for the protection of the bats, due to the white nose syndrome affecting them. The pool was great, it was large with a separate pool for diving and another separate one for small children. The only complaint I have about the pool is the music, it was a radio with terrible speakers and only country music. There was horseback riding, mini golf, canoeing, fishing, and hiking. Now the restaurant was not the best. It got good reviews so we planned on eating there for 1 dinner and 1 breakfast, someone even said he thought grandma was in the back cooking, well his grandma must not have been a very good cook then. Dinner was extremely slow, the waitress blamed the sudden rush of people, there were about 16 people in the place occupying 3 tables out of 20. They must just not have enough help in the off season. Some were satisfied with their meals but mine was just OK. Paying the bill was a nightmare, we were still trying to figure out what happened the next day, the waitress was ridiculous and we were overcharged . Breakfast food was the same, this other reviewer's grandma must have gotten her gravy from a can because thats what this gravy was... from a can. Our best meals were the ones I cooked at the cottage. Speaking of the cottage, it was very nice, one of the better ones for a state park although unfortunately, you cannot have a camp fire in the area, but they were nice enough to let us go to an unoccupied camp site to use our firewood and marshmallows. It was not extremely well stocked, I could have used a larger pan for pancakes instead of taking an hour making them, and bring your own dishsoap, theirs is about 5% soap. All in all, everyone was nice, the park was beautiful, we enjoyed ourselves and would go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dawnygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had not visited Carter Caves in about 25 years and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was still a relaxing getaway from it all. We signed up for the Cascade Cave tour and had a few hours before the tour so we parked along the stream for a picnic lunch. I crossed a little bridge and there was a wonderful cave, hidden in the woods by the stream! I only wished my grandchildren had been with us - they would have been so excited to feel like explorers.
I kicked off my shoes and waded in the cool waters of the shallow stream. We learned of a canoe experience available that evening, and signed up. MORE FUN! We all crowded into the van for an adventure on the water. All the young park employees were wonderful to us!
This is a hidden gem of a park.
PS The buffet at the Lodge was just what we needed after a busy day at Carter Caves!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank origincondo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

I took my family to Carter Caves State Park and paid $28 for a tour of the Casscade Caves, we were told the tour would be at 4:30pm so we had about an hour to wait. We wandered the gift shop and sat outside waiting for the tour guide along with several other patrons. At 4:40 i went inside to ask why the guide hadn't shown up and was then told we were supposed to meet at the cave entrance not the office as with the other tours! I informed them that we had been waiting outside for an hour. I was told "sorry no refunds". With gov funding being cut everywhere you would think they want to keep customers happy. After this, i hope they lose thier jobs because I will not visit that place again! Jerks.

• Stayed May 2011
10 Thank Latentthoughts
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

Just got back from an overnight retreat for my team at work. My lodge room appeared up to date in look and in amenities and I had no problem. Room and the rest of the property was very clean and well maintained. The scenery from the balcony of my room was spectacular! Hotel has good wireless internet connections, but DOES have limited phone service, so beware of that. There are alot of things to do in this park such as cave tours and hikes, but we did not have time to partake in these activities. Also, part of our retreat package was dinner, breakfast and lunch, which was all buffet style and very tasty. Service for dinner was a little shotty, but for breakfast and lunch was great. Front desk staff were friendly and accomodating. I definitely want to go back here soon with my sweetheart for a weekend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KentuckyTravelBug80
....
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

We recently stayed here and thought it was wonderful. The staff was friendly and always ready to assist us. We really enjoyed the heating lamp above the shower (Very nice on a cool winter night). The rooms are little larger than your usual hotel room. Plenty of room for little ones to stretch out. Each room has a private balcony. The balcony offers a fantastic view of sunset each evening. It is VERY quiet and the beds are comfortable. My only complaint is that there was no microwave or mini-fridge in the room. Other than that, I highly recommend staying here.

The lodge restaurant is FANTASTIC. Our servers were very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. Breakfast was wonderful. My husband said "Someone's grandma is back there cooking, this isn't your usual restaurant breakfast". The gravy and biscuits is a must order. The gravy had to be homemade. Not only was it all tasty, but it was very cheap. My family of 5 had breakfast for $28. Dinner at the restaurant was just as great. The buffet has plenty to choose from (fried chicken, ham, beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, etc) and the salad bar is fresh. There were at least 5 options of desserts on the bar too. Everything from "dirt" (this is oreo pudding) to cobbler to cake. There is also a soup of the day, which happened to be veggie soup (YUMMY) and pinto beans.

The restaurant also offers take out for the room, so you can order ahead of time and eat in your room if you wish. There's also a picnic option to take out in the park with you. It's a large fried chicken dinner with all the fixings for under $40. That includes a gallon (I think) of sweet tea, plates and utensils.

As for the park, I highly recommend the cave tours. Our tour guide was fantastic with our children. So, not only was our trip fun, it was also educational. I highly recommend staying at this resort. You will have a peaceful stay

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank leliag78
Pocono Lake, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We recently stayed in the lodge for a night. Our room was comfortable. Even though parts of the room had a bit of a 90's look, the vanity seemed to be newly remodeled. It was good to see that KY is putting $ back into their parks as they are able. We heard very little noise from others staying at the lodge. The restaurant was kind enough to serve us breakfast even though we came in at the end of their breakfast hours. The portions were generous, and the food was good. We spent the morning hiking & touring the X cave before heading down the road. Carter Caves is a great place to stop for the night if you have a little extra time while traveling across I-64 in KY.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crdr
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Very, Very dispointed with outcome of this trip, on the hottest days in years the one day we had to enjoy the pool (afternoon we arrived it close for weather) we went to it and it was now closed because of "mechanical problems" and would be for the season. This being our last full day and my daughter looking so forward to the pool, I asked the lodge staff reason why and them asked for a refund on next night so we could go home. They would do it nor even discount or provide anything. I wasn't looking for a handout, but being in the hospitality industry myself, i know how important it is to compensate for less than satifactory situations regardless of how it happened.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hampton Inn Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
#1 of 10 in Ashland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland

Been to Carter Caves State Resort? Share your experiences!