“If time is money, don't stop here!”
Review of Smokey Valley Truck Stop - CLOSED

Smokey Valley Truck Stop
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Lexington
“If time is money, don't stop here!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Let me start off by saying that yes, I do realize that this is a truck stop, and my expectations were not any higher than this. I happen to know of a truck stop where I'm from that is excellent, so I had an idea of what to expect. I am sure that the fact that this restaurant has been on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives boosts the business. For the amount of food that we got, the value was good considering that it was only $18 for meatloaf with 3 sides, 2 drinks, a very large double cheeseburger with fries, and a slice of pie. However, I hate to say it, but it seems like they need more help here. The wait times are extremely long, and although I am usually pretty tolerant, I started to get annoyed when people who had arrived after us started getting their food. The drinks and the coleslaw came out quick, but after that, a very long wait. The meat loaf was very bland and tasteless, even with ketchup...definitely not like mama's! The mashed potatoes and the home fries were good, and so was the coleslaw. The burger was ok, but much better elsewhere. I will have to disagree woth whoever mentioned that the biscuits were the best you could get anywhere, and they came out not warm at all, and were almost chewy, definitely not light and fluffy like most biscuits ive had. The coconut creme pie was quite good, homemade meringue and good crust and filling. Given the distance, and the fact that the food was not fantastic, I don't anticipate myself coming back here.

1 Thank Whitney M

Grayson, Kentucky
“A popular spot for locals...”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Great food, Friendly staff and Wonderful Pies!!! Down home country style food served in a local truck stop. We always enjoy a trip to Smokey Valley.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank sheilabrammell
Russell, Kentucky
“OK.”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nothing really exciting here. A lot of people love the coconut cream pie but I don't like coconut so i couldn't say.

Olive Hill, Kentucky
“Can't go right now.”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Just found out that Smokey Valley Truck Stop has recently closed to do some Renovations, and from what I've been told it may be a couple of months before the renovations are completed.
I agree with the reviews that they make an awesome made-from-scratch Coconut Cream pie...
And yes, the service can be a little slow, since this is NOT a Fast-food restaurant. So you need to plan for that when going there..,
but if you want to hang-out and listen to music on the juke-box and visit with your friends over a wonderful meal, then you'll have plenty of time to do that...
As for cleanliness & service, that can vary, depending on which waitresses are working at the time..., but I do know that the state Health Inspector eats there, and that says alot.... They know which places where to eat, and which ones to stay away from....!!!
As for the Cigarette-smoking, that too can vary greatly. Sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it's worse. (~ I wish they would have "Smoking" and "Non-smoking" sections) Just pick your Table location carefully. (Away from the "break-table" for sure!) Seems to be worse in the late evenings. Sundays, after church, it's not that bad. (But they are VERY busy for Sunday Lunches, so wait-time can be longer)
If you're planning on going there to eat, and are traveling from very far away, you might want to call them first, to see if they have re-opened yet. (Re-opening in Summer 2012.???)

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank LeahG974
Greenup, Kentucky
“Great coconut creme pie”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Loved the coconut creme pie with real meringue. Food was average. This used to be a truck stop, so lots of wear and tear. People smoking inside, which I do not like.