“Food good but small portions; service good”

Senor Lopez cantina
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Oak Grove
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Ate here trying it for first time and the food was good, but portions were quite small. Generally I share fajita's with someone but there wasn't enough to fill me up. The service was good--very friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I gave this place a few months to work out the kinks, and it seems like it was worse this time around. Still only got a small bowl of salsa to share. Salsa still needs more cilantro and onion. Chips were a bit stale but that is understandable since we arrived later in the evening. I was forced to order a la carte since they don't offer a chicken enchilada dinner with beans and rice. The enchiladas were cold and the rice and beans were not as plentiful as I had hoped even though I asked the waitress to ensure there was plenty on the plate. The flavor of the enchiladas were really not bad and there was plenty of chicken inside. Had they not been cold I may have enjoyed them. The wife ordered a Steak Quesadilla which was the worst one I have ever had. I pointed out to the waitress that the root word is Queso which translates to cheese, however there was hardly any cheese on the Quesadilla. There was plenty of grease which had created a soggy mess on the plate. When I brought this to the attention of the waitress she said in a very matter of fact manner "that's just how we make them here" so extra grease and not even enough cheese to hold it together. Anyone that seems to think that this is the best Mexican food in town is either unfamiliar with Mexican food or hasn't been many places. I truly wanted this place to be out of this world but this has just been a tremendous let down.

I was interested in this steak challenge they offer but I'm not interested in attempting a challenge that has never been failed. To make this clear everyone that has tried it has achieved it. Its a pound and a half of steak. Why call that a challenge. I would recommend you throw 3 on a plate and then it is a challenge.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I agree with first review about having a bigger bowl for the salsa. But very surprised they don't have civiche (blend of seafood) in a glass cup on a daily basis but then again when they do have it at least its fresh. The waitresses were very friendly & attentive and happy to work there which created a positive & relaxed
environment. Will return again!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Servers were southern, incredibly sweet and on top of everything. Salsa was great compared to whats around I just needed a bigger bowl. Cheese dip was great! Best fajitas I have had this side of town. They were NOT burn't like the other places and they were fresh and full of flavor. My husband had the taquitos and loved them. Great sweet tea! We have been back several times since only visiting the first time about a week ago. They have done an incredible job renovating the place and have a great bar area now and even have a juke box. If you tried the nasty Chinese that was there before, as we did, don't let that deter you from visiting this place! They got a 100 on their health inspection. The food is incredibly fresh and comes out fast! The ONLY place to have Mexican on this side of town for us from now on! Lived here almost 5 years now and SO happy to finally find a great Mexican place! We will be back!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place opened a couple of weeks ago. My initial impression was that the place is very clean. I am not crazy about only getting a small bowl of salsa and a large basket or chips when seated. It would be better for everyone to get their own bowl. The salsa seems to be freshly made and is ok. It would be better with more onion, cilantro and a pinch of cumin. I have eaten the Carne Azada(as spelled in menu) and the steak taquitos. I really enjoyed the taquitos but was not impressed with the Carne Asada. The carne asada meat was a bit on the bland side. Perhaps the cook didn't season it or perhaps that is the way it was intended. I would prefer it to be finished on the grill. The waiter we had is really good. He is friendly and extremely attentive. I drink a lot of water and he never let my glass get empty. This place is worth a try if you are in the area. I would like to hear someone else's take on the place.

1  Thank CW7171