“Needs cleaning!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oak Grove
Bessemer, Alabama
“Needs cleaning!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I chose this hotel after reading the hotel information which stated it was fairly new, around 2 years old. The outside appearance was fine. It is listed as a pet friendly hotel which I usually choose not to stay in but thought I would give it a try. To begin with, the desk staff didn't appear to be very professional but I wasn't too concerned. As I proceeded to my room, I noticed how stained all of the hall carpets were, even the ones in the stairwells. This being a pet friendly hotel I don't know if it is pet urine stains or not. When I all settled in the room I noticed the shower stall floor appeared really nasty. It is a textured finish on the floor but to only be 2 years old it was horrible. Since it was late, I didn't ask to change rooms but I went to the desk to ask for additional towels that I could put in the bottom of the shower so I wouldn't have to step on the nasty shower bottom. I told the desk attendant what I wanted the towels for & she never asked if I would like to change rooms. I had to wait until she finished her cigarette break outside before I could get the towels. I noticed several dead bugs in the hall floors. The hotel would be really nice if it was cleaned up. The rooms are spacious & the bathroom has plenty of counter space. The overall appearance is that it all needs a good cleaning from the rooms, the common areas & the bathrooms. To only be 2 years old it sure looks dirty. I only needed a room for one night so I stayed put but I wouldn't stay more than one night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dixiehdrider
SleepInnKY235, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Oak Grove, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dixiehryder,

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I am incredibly sorry that you experienced the things that you did while you were here. I can assure you that this is no where near our standard. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly at the hotel, I would like more information on when you stayed with us so that I can address these issues properly.

Thank you so much for your time.

Heather Caughlin, AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Trout Dale, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great stopping place on our trip west. Had a pleasant exchange with the desk clerk and found our room to be clean and the bed comfortable. Quiet location next to corn fields and behind other lodging places closer to the highway. The breakfast was above average in the way of hotel food, with fresh hot waffles and real butter. Coffee was acceptable. All in all an excellent choice for what we needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SleepInnKY235, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Oak Grove, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Simonstays,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here! We love knowing that all of the hard work we are doing is noticed. Hopefully this trip west was not the only time that we are able to provide you with exceptional service and a great night's sleep!

We really look forward to seeing you again!

Thank you and safe travels!

comer, georgia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

first of all, sorry no photos. I got in late, with car issues, so I just unpacked, showered and went to bed.

check in was fast. the desk clerk, sam, was sweet and efficient. the whole process took less than ten minutes.

this must be a newer hotel as everything had that look. but not so new as there were signs of usage.

first of all let me say that the size of the bathroom was fantastic! huge. such a nice change from the closet size you usually find. granite countertop. loved the solid surface they used in the shower instead of tile, so much so I will do that my next bathroom remodel in my home. loved the night light on the blow dryer. I hate to sleep with lots of light and usually I must leave on the bathroom light. loved the light and the fan being on separate switches. again, hate to sleep with that noise. my only complaint here is the towels. all very thin and cheap. the wash cloth had a hole in it.

the bedroom was still a nice size. all the bedding and fixtures were nicely done. the bed was very comfortable, as were the linens. I do not think I have ever slept so well in a hotel. the room was quiet even though I was next to the elevator.

loved the adjustable chair at the desk. the iron and ironing board were in nice condition and worked well.

now the complaints. overall the room was clean but in the corners the dirt was starting to build up. there was dust on all the tops of lamps, pictures, etc. the coffee maker could not get the water hot enough so it was useless. most of the tv stations came in grainy. the Wi-Fi was slow. the water pressure was just horrible. the mirrors were cloudy and had smears. the elevator had spills and other such things on the walls that were never cleaned during my four nights there. did not like the safe placement as it made it difficult to hang anything long like a dress or a pair of pants in the closet.

the breakfasts were okay. would have liked more fruit than just apples and oranges. the set up was in an alcove so you kept bumping into everyone because of the limited space. it was your typical free breakfast items.

the location was a bit remote. close enough to everything if you have a car but other than a convenience store and a mcdonalds there was nothing within walking distance. there were a few more places that were not far of a walk but I exclude them because you would need to either walk down or cross a divided four lane highway with no crosswalks or sidewalks.

I would like to stress how quiet the place was. I did have a fourth floor room NOT facing the parking lot. I did hear people now and again but none of that door slamming or the tv from the next room like most places. because I slept so well I rated this place very good.

i have stayed in the area on several occasions and this is the nicest place in this price range i have found.

Room Tip: go for a room on the back of the hotel which faces a field as they are quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the amazing review of our hotel. It means a lot to myself and the rest of my staff knowing that someone got a great nights sleep.

I also appreciate you bringing to my attention the problems with the dust in the corners of the rooms. Oak Grove is such a busy up and coming area that, unfortunately, little things like that sometimes get overlooked. I have met with our housekeeping and maintenance departments to make sure these items aren't being forgotten on a daily basis.

I look forwarding to seeing you here again.

Thank you!

Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed August 5, 2013

In my past experiences with non- American run hotels, they are all run the same . The rooms were ,not cleaned, by non-American people, only 2 towels in bathroom. Little or extremely slim to no breakfast . After a very long drive with a sick husband, I needed sleep. Someone in the room next door, ran TV so loud it actually vibrated the walls at times. I called front desk twice , no answer!!. This lasted from 9:00 p.m. Til 6:45 a.m . The sheets were so thin and worn, there were holes in them. The towels, all 2 of them) were he same way, thin and holy. When we checked out at 7:00 a.m, I was never ask about my stay, but after waiting for someone at the front desk to check me out, I told him the issues, he did not understand a word I said, in his Arabian slang , he said Thank you. Unbelievable! I felt guilty for giving them my hard earned money and knowing they would not do an better. They obviously just run their hotel as cheap as they can.

Room Tip: Don't bother choosing this hotel and you won't have to worry about choosing a good room, the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am very concerned to hear about the problems that you encountered during your stay. Let me first apologize for the inconvenience that the other guests placed on you. It is my hope that everyone who stays here at my hotel can have the best night's sleep possible.

I also want to apologize on behalf of my front desk staff. Since your stay with us, I have implemented a reminder training program on customer service and the importance to your satisfaction. I have also personally gone through every piece of linen that is used in our guest rooms to ensure that there are no defects in the products that we are using.

As far as the breakfast, I am interested in hearing what more we could add to make it better. We are serving egg and cheese omelets, biscuits and gravy, waffles, bacon, sausage as well as a variety of hot and cold cereals and fresh fruit. Please contact me directly at the hotel with your suggestions on our breakfast menu.

Again, I apologize for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would really like the opportunity to show you that we are in fact doing everything that we possibly can to provide you with the best possible.

Thank you so much for your time and your insight.

ansbach
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I would like to say that i have been to hotels all across the world. this hotel was a breath of fresh air upon my return from europe. Not the best amentities but, i can say that the bed was perfect. the breakfact was great also. there is a machine that allows you to make your own waffles. fresh waffles in the morning for breakfast was great. anf it only took a couple of minutes in the waffle machine. the bathroom in our suite was a little used up looking but it served its purpose none the less. the decor in side of the room was semi modern but comfortable. and i was in a king suite so i really dont know what the other rooms had. the only thing i didnt like was the fact that it seemed to have alot of trucker activity there. and i have nothing against truckers but it is not the type of crowd that needs to be around family and children. all in all i would say that it was good for its price.

Room Tip: see if you can get one at the end of a hallway so that you dont have customer traffic in front of yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SleepInnKY235, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Oak Grove, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Ansbach,

I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate such a positive review. If you are ever in Kentucky again please let us know. We'd love to be able to hold that corner room for you again.

Thank you again!

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I needed a place to get away for a time of prayer and study. I found this hotel online and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did! The staff was wonderful, the beds were comfortable, the hotel is clean, breakfast is good with a pretty decent selection, and overall, it was very quite! And being alone, I still felt totally safe! The location is pretty good. Not too far from Clarskville, TN which has all of the restaurants, shopping centers and such. All in all, it was a very good place to stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Felton, Minnesota
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were disappointed in this hotel the second time around. We drove extra time because we liked it on our way to Florida last year. But, this time it was not as nice as we expected. Next year we will probably pick another hotel. Maybe in Clarksville, TN. Any recommendations would be welcome! Thanks in advance.

Room Tip: Not so great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SleepInnKY235, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Oak Grove, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Sugarbeat,

I am very upset to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much this year as last year. We have all been working very hard to try to provide the best service possible and I'm sorry that we fell short of that this time. I am very interested in hearing the details of why this stay was not as great as your last stay. Please contact me at the hotel directly at 270-640-7170. I am here from 7a-3p most weekdays.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Oak Grove, KY
Quality Inn Fort Campbell
Quality Inn Fort Campbell
#5 of 6 in Oak Grove
Best Western Plus Atrium Inn & Suites

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Oak Grove? Share your experiences!