Home Place Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Derby Inn & Suites(Nicholasville)
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Smoke everywhere. Your clothes will stink. The worse was the all night noise. If you get the first floor you will hear walking, and multiple doors slamming shut all night long. Also at 2am I was woke up by the bed thumping against the floor. I would say it was clean though, that's the only plus. Unless you sleep REALLY hard you will not get any sleep. These walls are paper thin.

Room Tip: Don 't book online.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Danielle C
Sue R, Manager at Home Place Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

The staff and management apologize for the disturbance and the sleepless night. This was an unusual night due guest checking in at later hours. as for the smell of smoke we strive to keep the smoke smell down, but this motel has smoking rooms which we ozone daily.also you booked a smoking room in the smoking area. We hope you will reconsider staying here again and we would put you in the nonsmoking area upon availability. Thank you for your business. Please call if I can be of further assistance.

Sue Rogers

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This used to be an Super * but it was bought out by American and is being staffed by Americans. After seeing so many of the mid size hotels beong run down by neglect by foreign owenrs, this hotel was a refreshing change. They are in the process of remodeling so they have new beds, and are working on getting new recliners for all the rooms.
The staff is frieindlty and very knowledge able about the surrounding area.
I spend a lot of time in hotels and this was one of the better choices for the price range.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank froggy d

Thank you for your reveiw. It's always encouraging get your comments and we are looking forward rto seeing you in the future.

Sue Rogers

Reviewed October 7, 2012

As there was a UofK home football game all the other hotels in town were overcharging or didn't have non-smoking rooms available within a close enough range to where we needed to be. I had fairly low expectations of this place given the reviews and price but thought we'd try it. We pull in and immediately see a housekeeper standing in the open doorway smoking, even though a sign in the lobby says Please Don't Smoke. The woman handling the check in didn't seem very competent and I believe actually took a pill while waiting on us. When I handed her my service dog's card she was like what is this and then oh we don't take dogs when she saw my dog a few minutes later. Um, why do you think I was giving you this card and I know it was on my reservation. And there was a small child behind the reservation desk, just adding to the non-professional feel.

The room was clean but very stale smelling and the hallways were disgusting with smoke smells and a few mysterious wet spots. We kept everything we could in our suitcases for the 2 night trip, which is not how I generally travel. The TV did not come in clear, especially the basic channels (ABC, etc). The microwave in the lobby was nice when I needed to re-heat some left overs. The a/c unit was not quiet, though I've heard worse. The people below us must have been blasting their heat cause our a/c compressor kicked on a lot the second night we were there. We never tried whatever they put out for breakfast and when I checked out there seemed to be a lot of staff doing nothing. Maybe they were getting ready to clean but seems to me there could be a better place to wait or get organized. The people across the hall from us were blasting the tv or something and at first I thought that was what I was hearing though it didn't seem to be so bad when I stood by the door. Well my bed was next to the bathroom and I finally realized it was the pipes I was hearing that were keeping me up! There was also some road noise. Oh and the windows open, though the room never aired out very well but there are no screens! We will never be back.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sabinebaby
Sue R, General Manager at Home Place Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at our motel. I'm sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Kentucky is still a tobacco state and we have a lot of guest that are smokers , we also have constuction workers as guest. we are in the process of changing our hallway carpets,We strive to be professional and courtious to each and every guest. Thanks, again and the staff and management hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have to say, for the money I shouldn't be surprised. The room itself was clean, the air conditioner was cool and quiet, the bathroom was clean and the towels and linens smelled fresh--BUT--even though every door on the second floor said Non-Smoking, the entire hallway smelled like a giant ashtray. The breakfast food ran out quickly. Also, the staff was frequently sitting in the breakfast area telling jokes and smoking and were unfriendly and even a little rude when I was checking out. I think I will spend a little more next time to get better service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank nkpernia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The room was average size, nicely painted and decent carpeting. The minifridge and TV were fine. The bathroom was actually pretty good, with lots of towels and clean However, the beds were horrible. You could literally poke your fingers down into each coil and sleeping on it was miserable.

Everything else in the hotel also smelled very badlly. Everything!!! Not just like someone had smoked in the room, but as though people had used the room as a wet ashtray. Windows open the full time we were there, and we even brough an ionzer which usually helps. Neither one really did. Other smokers around you are opening their windows and letting the smoke out and naturally, it just came back in our room.

Now all our clothes are in being washed - even the clean ones, Just absorbing the smoke from the room, these close are unusable. In 50 years, I thought I'd run into some bad smelling rooms, but this one is it.

May as well allow people to bring dogs. It can't smell any worse.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple