“Great location, great amenities, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Newport
Moundsville, West Virginia
“Great location, great amenities, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My family and I stayed in 4 separate rooms, two river view and two not, on the weekend of July 11-13. We were all VERY pleased. Hotel was clean; the staff was very friendly and accommodating; the amenities in the rooms were impressive for a Comfort Suites. Location is awesome - short walk to Newport on the Levee; short shuttle ride to the Reds game or a myriad other downtown Cincinnati destinations. Complimentary breakfast was adequate & plentiful; friendly and attentive staff replenished it regularly. Prepaid internet rate was quite reasonable. If we visit Cincinnati/ Newport again, we'd be crazy not to stay here! One small caution - hotel is NOT marked well. Despite being led there by the GPS, we all initially passed it up.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank arw916
Tabitha M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
Comfort Suites Newport finds it a pleasure to have hosted a family “reunion” in our hotel. Having our guest enjoy time with each other in our hotel is what pleasure stays are all about. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our location along the Ohio River! We are close to the Newport Levee, an entertainment and restaurant complex, and just a 20 minute walk to the Cincinnati Reds Stadium via the pedestrian bridges. As you mentioned there is a South Bank Shuttle that is only $1.00 per person and will take just a couple of minutes to transport you to the Great American Ball Park. Thank you for mentioning our complimentary breakfast. This is served in our Galley which offers a dynamic view of the Ohio River and the Cincinnati Skyline in the backdrop. Our complimentary internet service is available to all of our guest as well as our business center. Due to signage restrictions from the city we cannot place a sign up on all 4 sides of our hotel, however we do have our hotel marked and a sign out front. We do welcome back the entire family to once again explore and enjoy Northern Kentucky – the South Side of Cincinnati.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Ann Arbor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Best part: beautiful view of the Ohio River & Cincinnati. The staff are very friendly and offered to fix problems as they arose (eg, we requested a river view, but initially got a room on the other side of the building; also the wrong rate on the bill, but that was amicably corrected). In a particularly kind gesture, one staff filled the hot water thermos near the dining area, so I could make a cup of tea even though she had clocked out for the afternoon. Clean and friendly housekeepers.

The breakfast is adequate: I liked the vanilla yogurt and made my own plain waffle. The ventilation in the room could use a little boost, but then I'm rather particular about hotel air. Someone got stuck in the elevator one night, and the fire department kindly responded. Great value including free in-room wifi. Comfy bed.

The hotel is situated across the street from a liquor store called Party Source -- great deals on wine, and the largest selection of alcohol that I've seen in my life! As others have noted, a shuttle conveniently stops in back of the hotel. Pretty easy parking. And walkable to the pedestrian Purple People Bridge -- at 2,670 feet in length, it is the longest connector of its kind in the country that links two states -- linking Newport to downtown Cincy.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on a higher floor with a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank VelhoSorriso
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of Comfort Suites Newport, KY. Our guest are always welcome to reserve a River View Room however there are slight differences in cost between the River View and the Newport View sides. I am happy to see that we had the availability to accommodate your request during your arrival.
Our breakfast is served each morning in our Galley which over looks the Ohio River and Cincinnati Skyline. We do offer a large selection of items, our hot items will include the Belgium Waffles, a meat item and egg item (this could be scrambled or cheese omelets) or there will be sausage and gravy with hot biscuits. Our hot items do rotate according to our menu to offer something different for our guest who is in for more than one night. We also have breads, bagels, pastries, cereals, fresh fruit and as you mentioned yogurt.
It is nice to see that you enjoyed the Purple People Bridge – it is beautiful to walk across this pedestrian only bridge as the sun sets or rises. We would enjoy hosting you once again, please think of us next time your plans bring you to Northern Kentucky.
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel two months in advance and I explained that we were traveling with a 1 year old and he can cry loud at night and I asked if we could have a room away from others as not to disturb sleeping people. When we checked in I asked if my request could be honored and they had no idea as to what I was talking about. So I explained what I was asking for.... They said the rooms were already assigned... I'm fine with our son but just trying to be courteous to others. No one did complain.
The breakfast is hotel food. Nothing special.
The views were very nice. River and top of a restaurant.
For the money and calling itself a suite, I will stay elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank bukifan75
Tabitha M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
Every hotel would appreciate a guest as courtesy as you and your family try to be. With the request to be away from other guest this is something hard to do, especially when the hotel is sold out. Even when not sold out placing a guest in a certain part of the hotel does depend upon the room type that they have requested. If it appeared that the front desk was not aware of your request, it was probably because they were not sure how to honor such a request on a sold out night. We simply cannot take rooms off line and prevent the sale of them. I do apologize if it seemed that we ignored your request, however unless a portion of a floor is not sold, we cannot place a guest of ours away from everyone else. With our location that is on the banks of the Ohio River, 3 blocks from the Newport Levee (entertainment and restaurant complex) and Newport Aquarium, close to the Great American Ball Park where the Cincinnati Reds Play, we are often full as guest do enjoy the views and our area attractions. We do regret that you did not enjoy your stay. We do strive to please our guest daily at Comfort Suites Newport and hope that you would return once again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the Comfort Suites in Newport. Saved $$ with a prepaid Internet rate on the hotel's website. It was very clean, quiet and in a great location. Although parking is kind of tight, we were always able to find a spot in the Comfort Suites lot. The TANK shuttle took us to the Great American Ballpark. It runs about every 15 minutes. Be sure to find out exactly where the pick up place is located for your return trip to Newport. It is about a mile walk back...not a bad walk, but late at night it was a little uncomfortable.
The hotel is close to several restaurants, stores and activities. It is a nice place to stay.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank C D
Tabitha M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
Comfort Suites Newport thanks you for your stay and is happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay as well as the location. As we sit on the banks of the Ohio River, we are right across from the professional sports stadiums, the Cincinnati Reds and the Cincinnati Bengals. To transport the sports fans the city of Newport has convenient pick up and drop offs for our guest.
The Newport Shuttle picks up and drops off directly behind our hotel. The TANK will pick up and drop off in front of our hotel. We regret that you were not aware of these drop offs as they would have placed you directly by our hotel.
The Newport Levee is 3 blocks from our hotel, it is a restaurant and entertainment complex that most of our guest thoroughly enjoy. We look forward to your return.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for a concert we were going to in Cincinnati. The room was a nice size. We had a river view and a refrigerator and couch in the room. These were both nice features. The elevators are extremely slow and small. The walk to Cincinnati attractions isn't terrible, but wear your walking shoes! Taking a cab is also an option if you can get one. The breakfast buffet was terrible and extremely picked over. We didn't even eat it. There is a restaurant next door with an awesome brunch buffet. I forget the name. Since the cost of the room is kind of pricey the buffet should be good or an option with a cheaper room rate. A shuttle would also be a great addition to take people to local attractions.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank NIKCANOBX
Dear Guest,
Comfort Suites Newport thanks you for staying with us while attending a concert in our area. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your room and the amenities it offers. Our location is close to so many attractions that Newport and Cincinnati has to offer. I am sorry that you were not aware of the various transportation options that are available to all of our guest. The Southbank Shuttle it is $1.00 per person, and will take our guest around Newport and into Cincinnati, even to Fountain Square. There is also the bus system, and even a water taxi 2 blocks from our hotel that will transport our guest to Reds Stadium. I am happy to know that you were able to get out and about while you were here as with the Newport Levee & Aquarium with Ride The Ducks, there is so much to do and see here at Newport.
I am sorry to hear about our breakfast experience in our Galley. Our breakfast on weekends runs form 7am to 10am, I am sorry that you were not able to fully experience our morning meal. It does get a lot of attention from our guest as it gives a beautiful view of the Ohio River with the Cincinnati Skyline in the backdrop.
We do welcome you back to stay with us as we are close to the Paul Brown Stadium, The Great American Ballpark and the US Bank Arena where many concerts are held.
Glasgow, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

If you stay here, you must request a river view room. The room was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. You are charged a $1.00 fee for the safe whether you use it or not. You are also given and firm and soft pillow so you can choose which you like best which was nice. The breakfast, however, needs some work. The first day they had eggs and bacon as well as the "usual" hotel breakfast items such as cereal, toast, and pastries. The next day, they had eggs and little bitty cubes of ham which I thought was odd. There are other restaurants within walking distance and they are in a good location. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and kind words about Comfort Suites Newport. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your River View room. As we sit on the banks of the Ohio River our hotel does offer views of the Cincinnati Skyline across the river. An additional amenity in our room is the variety of pillows so our guest can select the right pillow for a great night’s rest.
As you mentioned some of our breakfast items already, I hope that you did not miss our Belgium Waffles, fresh fruit, yogurts and a selection of breakfast cereals. We do offer small cuts of meats such as cubed ham or bacon for our guest to sprinkle on their eggs. Our breakfast menu also has cheese omelets which is a great favorite with our guest. On weekends we like to serve sausage and gravy with our hot biscuits, an old Kentucky tradition. While enjoying our morning meal, the biggest delight in our Galley is the view of Ohio River so that our guest can watch the skyline and witnesses Cincinnati waking up to another incredible day. For lunch and dinner our location does give a wide variety to our guest from directly across our hotel to 3 blocks down at the Newport Levee. The Levee is an entertainment and restaurant complex where our guest can relax, have a great meal, enjoy the views, take in a movie, bowl, Ride The Ducks, pet a shark at the Newport Aquarium and just generally have a great day into night experience. We definitely welcome you back for another stay in Northern Kentucky!
TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here over the 4th. We like Comfort Suites as a family of 5 as the rooms with 2 beds and pull out sofa bed seem to fit us all. This location is great. We have 3 small kids and walked down to Newport on the Levee every day. The walk is so scenic. Took the Tank bus to the Reds game. Super easy. The hotel was sold out for the weekend, but never heard any loud noise. We did not get the river view room, but you can check out the view from the hotel breakfast every morning.

My only problem, and trust me I am not complaining, is one of the beds seemed to be sunken in. I did not complain about it onsite as I wasn't the one sleeping in it so we didn't notice it until the last day. Since the other bed was very comfy, I didn't let this influence my review. I told the lady at the front desk on the way out and she did write it down so I am sure they will address it. On that same note, everyone on hotel staff was super friendly. Would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Momof2lilboys
Dear 4th of July Guest,
It is great to hear that your family enjoyed your holiday vacation with us! It is a pleasure to know that your children were able to get out explore our area and took in a Cincinnati Reds Game. I do hope that your children will remember their time at the Great American Ball Park with their parents, as such memories are precious and can carry a lifetime.
It is nice to know that your family had a quiet stay even over the busy weekend. We do regret that your bedding was not as suitable as you had hoped. We did receive the note that was logged in about your room and have checked it for maintenance review. It is nice to know that in spite of not having a River View Room that you were able to still enjoy the views from our Galley and during your walks.
Please know that we welcome your family back, perhaps this fall to take in a Cincinnati Bengals game! The Bengals Stadium is down from the Great American Ball Park. Oh and don't forget we have the Cincinnati Cyclones - the ice hockey team that plays at US Bank arena, right next door to the Great American Ball Park. Lots to bring your children to experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Central Business District
The Westin Cincinnati
The Westin Cincinnati
#14 of 49 in Cincinnati
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,038 reviews

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!