“Disappointing”

Southern Smoke Barbque
Ranked #77 of 108 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was really excited to try this place - what a letdown.Service was fine but meal was just average, at best. Ribs were dry and kind of bland. Pulled pork tasted like it came from the deli at a big chain grocery. In a town where there are some true barbecue contenders, this place won"t last. Sorry.

1  Thank Liz G

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Good BarBQ. Service was good and very accommodating. We were there just as they opened, so I was surprised the food was so good.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Don't waste your time or money!
My gut instinct was to walk right back out, but my husband said lets give it a try.

First of all there is a stench of raw sewage throughout the restaurant.

We ordered the loaded cheese fries as an appetizer, while looking at menu. Even though the prices are on the higher side we decided on the slab of ribs for him and the beef brisket for myself each came with two sides. By the way there are not any bbq sauce options, like you would expect from a place that "specializes" in bbq. It tastes like a popular store brand.

The loaded fries were far from loaded, basically a piece or two of cheese melted sporadically, one piece of bacon sliced on top, (the fries were hot though) served in a basket. No plates were given and when asked for sour cream we were given carry out packages.

Main meal.. horrible!! Ribs: just by the appearance we could tell they were dried out and they were tough to cut. As for the taste, my husband's description "like a house fire" (he was a fireman for over 20 yrs.) Couldn't get the taste out of our mouths. A smokey flavor is one thing, this was beyond anything imaginable.

The "brisket" was not brisket it was your average every day roast, no flavor at all. This was also served in a basket with paper lining (hard to use a knife on paper).

When we finally get the attention of our waitress (there was only 3 other people in the place) we told her that the food was inedible. She sent the manager over and he acted like he could've cared less. He offered us something different but we said no, but we will pay for our appetizer and my coke. We waited and finally went to the register for our bill. During that time we could hear the manager telling the waitress everything to charge us for. We were charged for everything except the meat, yes even the sides that were included with the meal that we did not eat!
It's not about the money ($15) as much as the attitude of the manager. I even stated that I would do a review and tell anyone possible.

7  Thank jj0769
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I should have known we were going to be in for a rough time when I ordered iced tea with lemon and was informed by our server that they were "out of lemons." Fair enough. Happens.

We ordered some fried mushrooms as an appetizer. They looked OK when they came out, even though they were served with a "cocktail sauce" that was just ketchup. (I guess they were out of horseradish as well as lemons.) I bit into one of them -- they were super hot on the outside, but the centers of the mushrooms were frozen solid. Not pleasant. To their credit, they took them off the bill.

About 20 minutes later, our other food arrived. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with baked beans as a side. The pulled pork was just that -- pulled pork with almost no other flavor than the faintest hint of smoke after what they claim was a 10-12 hour smoking process. No salt. No pepper. No spice. It was served with a side of barbecue sauce (ice cold, by the way), which was standard stuff. The baked beans were baked beans. Tasted like they came straight from a can of Heinz. Highlight of the meal.

My wife ordered the "Smokehouse chili," which turned out to be an average ground beef chili. I say "turned out" because it was served at such a hot temperature that it took (I wish I were kidding) 10 minutes of stirring before it wasn't scalding. Flavor was OK. Meat, tomatoes, beans spice. Not bad, just not particularly interesting.

I overheard them saying to another table that their draft beer (Bud Light was all they offered) was out, but they still had bottles available.

The service was OK -- but scattered. The server who rang our order at the register was very flustered and couldn't quite get our orders keyed in.

If this place had been open a week, some bugs in the system might be expected, but they've been open over a month. There are much better places around to spend your BBQ dollars.

4  Thank TheNakedVine