“Good beer, fun music, dancing on tables!”

Hofbrauhaus Newport
Ranked #1 of 110 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

If eating/drinking inside, expect a large hall filled with long picnic table style seating and a long bar across the back. You are often seated across from or next to strangers, which makes it more fun. There is typically also an German Oompa band performing fun drinking and crowd participation songs- don't be surprised when everyone gets up in the middle of eating and drinking to dance on their tables! The beers are BIG and delicious (if you are a dedicated beer-drinker). Outdoors is a large beer garden, again with long picnic tables. Food is OK (I don't care for German food or pork, but my family loves it), beer is great (I prefer the dunkle), and the atmosphere is fun and fantastic. Great spot for a fun night out with friends or special occasions and celebrations. It's pretty family-friendly before 8 or 9PM. For later evenings, I would suggest adults-only.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went to Hofbrauhaus for my wife's birthday. From the entertainment to the food and of course the beer it was excellent. The seasonal beer on tap right now was great although we were a little surprised by the sample charge ($1.00). Nevertheless our sons love coming here to lead the chicken dance, hang out with Nick the accordian player/master of ceremonies. Even with this being a smoking establishment (get with the program Northern Kentucky!) the smoke was not too bad in the main hall. They did not have the full-size shank but the substitution was great and smaller. Our kids loved the bratwurst. We look forward to going back again soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is in a renewed area of Newport. The German style restaurant was well done. Get the schnitzel sandwich on the pretzel roll. It is huge. Prices were reasonable and the beer was very good.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Looking for a German bierhaus..this is it. Prices were fair, but not cheap. Beer was typical German lager. I enjoyed my Hungarian goulash soup which I augmented with an order of spaetzles..next time I would ask for a larger bowl of soup. The Reuben sandwiches were terrific..lots of lean corn beef! My husband's wiener schnitzel was a bit overdone but he ate the entire plate. Service was excellent. Our single order of apple strudel served with warm vanilla sauce was plenty for the four of us and was delicious! We ate in the "quiet" non smoking room. It would have been better if they had just allowed the live music to waft into this oom instead of playing competing canned music. I am not a fan of dueling background music. Overall, however we were glad to have visited this iconic place

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was a bit overwhelmed by amount of drinking people sitting on benches side by side, but it was fun after the first beer. Great selection of beers, unique atmosphere.