“Great carry-out Chinese in Northern Ky.”
Review of Casual Chinese

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casual Chinese
Ranked #62 of 106 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Chinese
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great carry-out Chinese in Northern Ky.”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a very good but basic Chinese restaurant with a smidge of Thai dishes thrown in.
This is a tidy small restaurant in a strip mall just off the I-471 interchange for Newport, in Northern Kentucky and only about 2 miles from downtown Cincinnati.

I travel most weekdays from Cincinnati to Ft. Thomas in Northern Kentucky between my two work places. I have been stopping by this place on a weekly basis for almost a year now.
I've rarely been disappointed.
It's basic, clean mostly Cantonese style cooking.

It has a large carry-out business, but there are some booths for perhaps 20 total diners and not set up for large groups. Food is served on disposable plates and dishes with disposable eating utensils. I have noted a consistent number of regular lunchtime customers during my many visits there.

What I like about this place, other than the friendliness of the people there is that the food is quickly prepared and very reasonably priced. Unlike a lot of other Chinese restaurants, you won't get that greasy or oily glaze over your food and won't have a glob of gelatinous corn starch ruining your dish. Also, unlike many other inexpensive Chinese restaurants around, you don't get the feeling that you're eating "mystery meat." I don't know how many times I've had chicken that tasted very soft and squishy like a manufactured or chemically altered product!
This is real white chicken meat with good flavor and texture.

The menu is extensive so you would have to eat there everyday for about 2 months in order to try everything on the menu. So far I've limited myself to about 6-8 dishes, so I can't comment about the quality of all these other dishes.

For a little more than $5 you have a generous lunch plate with main dish, vegetable fried rice and egg roll or soup.
They offer fried rice with the meal in a huge serving portion, but it is a bit bland and does not add much to the meal overall.
My favorite dish so far is the Chicken Curry lunch dish which has some heat, much not too much, and has plenty of fresh vegetables.

So, if you want a quick Chinese (or Thai) meal or carryout that is inexpensive with good access to an interstate highway and not too far from downtown Cincinnati, this place is worth a visit.

• Visited June 2012

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I know a lot of people like this place, but my gosh, why would you bother going here when Hong Kong Grand Buffet is...”
Reviewed August 2, 2008

I know a lot of people like this place, but my gosh, why would you bother going here when Hong Kong Grand Buffet is right around the corner?! I think Casual Chinese's food is severely overcooked (veggies are limp, not crisp-tender) and sauces are syrupy. Ick.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook