“HEY OWNER, take a step back and look !”

El Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 109 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Some firends of ours turned us on to this place and we went back a week later as it was quite good. However, I noticed something that I wanted to comment on and hopefully it will be addressed here AND other places. Everyone working here EXCEPT for the "kids" you have as hosts and the ones who take the money are great. Now think about that and determine what is wrong with that situation ? The young man with the extreme wavy hair was leaning on the counter like he was exhausted (it was 5:30 PM on a Friday) and it was an "effort" to seat us. Friendly guy brought us chips and salsa and smiled ! Waitress was great. Food was terrific and portions were huge. BTW, been to Mexico several times and really don't want AUTHENTIC mexican food ! Went to pay having forgotten the awful greeting we got and the young (caucasian) girl, I mention that to point out there was no likely language issue, reached for my money saying NOTHING ! I said to her "our meal was great, thanks for asking" and then she wanted to ask ! My point is that you can have a great "retail" establishment which all the folks work hard to please the customers and have the wrong people on the way in and/or out and it has aq bad impact on the experience. We will be back and hope this has been addressed.

1  Thank bigrick58

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Everything about this place is great. Great service, so much food you can't finish, delicious. I crave this place. I get chicken fajitas or chicken burritos deluxe. Salsa and chips are so yummy and always fresh.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Who are these people that give this restaurant good reviews?!?!

I’m Mexican & I’ve been Mexican most of my life so I know a little something about authentic Mexican food. This IS NOT authentic Mexican food!!!

This may be the best Mexican food in Kentucky but by no means is it good Mexican food.!!!

I cannot express my disappointment enough.

I ordered 2 tacos with rice and beans. I told the waitress I wanted steak tacos, she replied,”I will have to charge you 2 or 3 dollars more”. Why doesn’t she know the cost?!?! My fiancée ordered a taco with a tostada and queso fundido (melted cheese with Mexican sausage), of course the waitress once again replied,”I will have to charge you 2 or 3 dollars more”.

Well…..first of all the tacos came with plain…..no lettuce, no tomato, no cheese, no onions, no sour cream, no nothing, just a tortilla with meat on it. The meat was bland and tough.

Second…..the tostada was topped with meat so greasy the tostada turned to mush, couldn’t eat it.

Third…..the queso fundido. How hard is it to mess up melted cheese? Well this place found a way. They use a poor quality cheese and loaded it with greasy ground beef instead of chorizo.
Forth….the rice and beans. The only thing on the plate that was edible on the plate was the rice and beans. I mean edible not good. They were bland.

I honestly had meals at Taco Bell better than I had here.

Please stay away from this restaurant!

2  Thank born2bowl2
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The steak fajitas were very tasty, the single portion was too much for the two of us, the service was fast and the prices were very reasonable. What more could you ask?

Reviewed June 3, 2012

So, this restaurant is staffed by hard working folks who deliver your meal piping hot in an unbelievably short period of time. While it's always edible and my family enjoys eating here, I suspect it's because the next best option is Taco Bell.

Having had the pleasure of eating Mexican in New Mexico and Colorado for years, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no good Mexican food in the Cincinnati region.

Until that changes, Rio Grande is, well, the defacto.

3  Thank CBrew21