Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Lots to see

We were visiting for a long weekend and went there Sunday afternoon around 4. They closed at 7 but... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
DKTravelerMD
Chesapeake, Virginia
Go on a weekday

The aquarium was nice. We chose to visit on a Saturday. I believe the timed entry is supposed to... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jramz2012
Milton, West Virginia
via mobile

2,029 results
All reviews shark bridge sea life penguin encounter shark petting mighty mike frog bog parking garage buy tickets small sharks cincinnati area all ages take your time great exhibits spring break behind the scenes gift shop great for kids
Selected filters
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were very impressed by the facilities and variety of aquatic life. This place is much larger than it seems and it definitely will take a few hours for even the most cursory of investigations of the aquarium. For a small extra fee you can go in with the penguins, behind the scenes, touch them and get pictures with them. I recommend that you try it, it is just amazing. Apparently penguins like me, since they ended up crawling up under my bench and camping there.

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had been to this aquarium many years ago, but returned since I purchased the tickets at a charity event. I had been reluctant to return as I generally only go anywhere once. I was surprised at all the positive changes made since my last visit. The day started with the 10 am outdoor Africa penguin parade at the outside entrance. No, the penguins do not walk, but ride in a little cart like vehicle. This is the only time you will see this particular species of penguin here unless you pay extra for the Penguin Encounter, so pay attention. Petting a penguin is a unique experience as they are the softest animal I have ever touched, so you may want this added to your day's agenda. After the parade, I would venture to the Penguin exhibit before the crowd and kids arrive because you might get lucky and be the only one in the exhibit, and those curious creatures will be right at the front of the exhibit to greet you through the glass. I spent 30 minutes alone there enjoying their company except for the trainer cleaning the exhibit. The rest of the exhibits included numerous sharks, fish, rays, crocs, etc. with many hands on areas for children to learn from enjoyably. A cafe was located near the penguins but I did not check prices. The Amazon exhibit with birds was closed. Staff was exceptionally friendly and knowledgable. My only complaint is that I feel the aquarium is slightly overpriced. But I am very frugal. Watch for specials as many times admission is reduced, and as other reviewers have commented this is why I rated a 4/5 stars.

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Newport Aquarium is a great attraction for a family with children. My 8 and 4 year old had a great time. My 8 year old is extremely interested in the water life so he enjoyed learning new details about all the animals.

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We love this aquarium - it is always an adventure. Since the creatures are live and moving, it is a different 'show' each time we go. My daughter especially likes being able to 'pet' the sharks.

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My son and I really enjoy visiting this establishment. We decided to purchase a membership so we could return and enjoy the various programs that are brought to the aquarium during the year.

Date of experience: June 2013