“Surprisingly interesting”
Review of Newport Aquarium

Newport Aquarium
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Rated #1 U.S. Aquarium by Readers’ Choice Travel Awards and #1 Aquarium in the Midwest by Zagat Survey. Home to thousands of aquatic animals in scores of exhibits, the Newport Aquarium will amaze you with all there is to see and do. You can touch a penguin, pet a shark, hear divers talk to the audience during feeding time, play games in Frog Bog, eat lunch in Sharkey's Cafe and a much, much more!
Lawrence, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Surprisingly interesting”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

When I went to Newport with friends on a Saturday afternoon I learned that there was an aquarium and that they have penguins. I might not be the typical aquarium visitor, but I was positively surprised about what this place had to offer. I'm not an aquarium lover, the only reason I went were the penguins. And since I went late in the afternoon I didn't have any lines! I was hoping they would have a discount after a certain hour, but that was not the case. Still, I didn't regret paying $23 for what they had to offer.
The exhibitions are very appealing, a lot of them are interactive and they have quite a variety for an aquarium. You kind of have to walk through all the areas in order to get to the penguins, but I discovered a lot more than I thought I would. They have a shark pool where you can touch smaller shark species, I found it quite an experience, even as an adult. And the staff was very friendly.
From what I read in other reviews, you might be better off going later in the day. I went around 4pm and they're still open till 6pm. It was a Saturday afternoon and not crowded at all.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Penguin85

Perth, Australia
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our three-year-old had so much fun at the aquarium -- and so did we! Be sure to catch the shark show. It was entertaining and informative. And how exciting to touch little sharks!

The surrounding area also has many shops and restaurants and a beautiful river view.

Parking can be rather confusing and limited.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank RS108
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A huge disappointment in all areas.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to the Aquarium over our spring break and arrived early as recommended for the best tickets. Well, that started the problems. Even though we had arrived 30 minutes prior to the opening, we weren't allowed admission until 11:30am. There were other shops in the levee are so we thought it might not be a big deal, but they weren't open yet. It was COLD on the waterfront. But we waited in the 2nd line and went in at our time. We were made to wait again once inside because things were still crowded from the prrevious sessions who are not mandated to leave even though you are mandated to wait. Once finally inside, we were in a sea of strollers among hindreds of children. The displays were in single file aisles and had no overhead recorded description of the display. So you were ayt the mercy of all of those in front of you trying to read the MANY plaques on the wall explaining each area. By the time we got finished, I swore I would never return even if we were given a private tour of everything. Very overpriced for non-interactive fish tank watching. Very poorly organized. Some areas were so smelly that it made you want to pass out. No one directed traffic on controlled the crowd once past the front door. It was a free for all. The displays need to be made interractive so that thiongs can move more smoothly. Kids read slow and get bored with all the latin species names. It was a terrible day that was supposed to be one of the highlights of our vacation. Do not go.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank tressriceky
NewportAquariumKY, Public Relations Manager at Newport Aquarium, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We regret you had a disappointing experience and we work hard to make every visit special. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us so that we may improve every aspect of the Aquarium. Please consider coming back to see us again during a less congested time by utilizing our website and viewing our Plan Your Visit section on our website.

As a member of the American Zoological Association (AZA), all of our exhibit signage meets or exceeds the Association’s requirements that include a photo of the animal, the scientific name, diet, habitat and a brief ‘did you know’ fact. If guests have questions about the animals, there are several knowledgeable Cast members on hand to answer questions and keep the flow of guests moving so everyone can enjoy the exhibits.

Again, we’re very sorry your visit wasn’t as pleasant as it could be.
Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Aquarium”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Shark exhibit was VERY good. The kids really enjoyed the penguins and the touch a shark tank. Highly recommend - allow at least 3 hours to see everything.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank OhioJamerican
Chicago burbs, IL
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“If you've been to an aquarium, this one's not worth the lines”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

After standing in line for an hour to get in, then getting told when we could enter (capacity control), we spent 3 hours slowly following a few hundred of our fellow sufferers as we weaved through the underground/ underwater rooms. Aside from a few large animals, there's not much here to ooh and aaah about - and nothing that's uniquely memorable - included in general admission. Save your money, and time, and so elsewhere. Especially if you're traveling during peak times (spring break for us) or with kids under 6.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Publius43
We regret you had a disappointing experience and we work hard to make every visit special. Please consider coming back to see us again during a less congested time to enjoy our Shore Gallery to touch sea urchins, horseshoe crabs and star fish. Visit our newly renovated Shark Ray Bay theater for the dive shows to learn more about our largest collection of rare Shark Rays in the world and then stop in Shark Central to pet a shark. There's always more new to see and do.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us so that we may improve every aspect of the Aquarium.