“A Gem of a Motel - Clean, Safe, Hospitable & American Owned by Great Couple”
Review of Murray Plaza Lodge

Murray Plaza Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Murray
Reviewed October 15, 2010

My work requires me to stay in hotels approximately 200 nights per year, perhaps more, not less. Most often I find myself at a Hampton, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn or Quality Inn. About once ever couple of years, I run across a hidden gem. That was the case in Murray, KY, this past week when I wandered into the Murray Plaza Lodge. The owners, Mr. & Mrs. Osher, were right up front when I entered the office area. They are just a perfect couple. So friendly. And they take such pride in their hotel. After giving me my key, Mr. Osher grabbed my bag to take it to my room for me. "You don't need to be carrying that heavy thing," he said. When he opened the door to the room, I was shocked. This motel was built in the 1950s. The Oshers have completely restored it. Completely. And added modern amenities. It has all the charm of a 1950s lodge as they existed way back when while at the same time being in like new condition. The tile in the bathroom was so clean I thought he had ordered vintage colored tile and had it redone to match the room. Nope. Tile is 60 years old. It just sparkles like new. And even in the simplest of single rooms, I still had a refrigerator, microwave, of course heat & a/c, a ceiling fan, top notch wireless access, a good TV, and a comfortable bed. And it was all CLEAN. Murray Plaza Lodge is as clean as any hotel I have ever stayed in. There was no riff-raff hanging around either. Other guests were professionals, semi-professionals, and families. The landscaping is also gorgeous. Ivy and flowers blooming. Just a beautiful place. They've got adorable little gazebos out front where you can sit if you'd like. The location is good. It's quiet. And I truly felt completely safe, which is important for a woman traveling alone. As luck would have it, my travels take me back to the Murray area next week, and I can't wait to spend it with the Oshers at Murray Plaza Lodge. It's going to be a great week. I did not have my camera with me. The Murray Plaza Lodge is as good as or better than the photos on its website www.MurrayPlazaLodge.com

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank greenbuck97
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Thank you, thank you, thank you... We were so happy to have wonderful customers like you. You are such a Gem to us! Hope your visit to Murray brings you and your company good results. Thank you very much for wine!

There are newer reviews for Murray Plaza Lodge

Reviewed October 1, 2010

Recently, I returned to Murray for a reunion. I had stayed at the Murray Plaza Lodge several years ago. On my return, a few weeks ago, I had hoped that maybe I would be able to stay there again.

Many years ago, I lived in Murray. The Lodge was one of the few places that our small town offered visitors. It always seemed to be a pleasant, quiet place one might like to visit. As a child, it seemed inviting somehow. As a student at the University a few years later, it remained so. And several years later when I would return to visit old friends, I would always stay there. It seemed like an old friend in some way; an institution of sorts, because so many things seemed to have changed over the years. I wanted something familiar, I guess.

This trip was no different. When I drove in to town hoping that it would still be there somehow unchanged, I was surprised! It was still there, but better than it had ever looked before. All of the charm was still there. The shade trees were bigger. But now there were beautiful gazebos out front decorating the lawn. Beautiful ivy was growing and clinging lovingly to the front of the building. I thought, "Oh here we go! The price has probably sky rocketed in the past ten years!"

Nervous to go to the desk and ask, I came here to TripAdvisor and found that it was amazingly affordable! Where other motels in town had sprung up or declined and been renamed, the Murray Plaza Lodge had only grown more desirable and had stayed affordable! (You're probably thinking that I'm the owner at this point because I'm giving the place such a glowing report. Right?!) lol Well, I'm not...

When I checked in, I had the most wonderful chat with the owner and asked how long he had owned the place. I think he said seven years. (I could be wrong.) He was the nicest guy. He told me that he wasn't really a "motel" guy. He was a contractor and a builder. He, himself, remodeled every single room without ever closing the motel. He handed me a key with one of those plastic things hanging from a ring! He said, "I should probably start using key cards like everybody else, but I have a key machine in the back so I haven't done that yet." To me, the key in my hand was like a memory from long ago. Something I used to steal when I was on high school trips away from home and far away in exotic places like...Paducah! At that moment, I didn't want to be holding anything else in my hand but that old key on a red plastic key ring!

The room was totally new. EVERYTHING. An air conditioner. New comforter on the bed. New carpet on the floor. A microwave. A mini refrigerator. Soap and shampoo. Free wireless internet with three routers for this little place! Even a chair to sit out front in the bright Kentucky sunshine, if I wanted to. I could even open the windows!

I couldn't have been happier with what I had found. The funny thing was that after my reunion was over, I bumped into one of my classmates who said, "I saw your car parked out front at the Murray Plaza Lodge! My assistant had booked me into one of the new places in town, but I said--I want to stay at The Lodge. It's a Murray institution!" He felt the same as I and had chosen wisely.

If you have ever lived in Murray. If you have never lived in Murray. If you want to feel like you have come home to a place that you may have once loved but have forgotten about...you should check into this great place. Unless you really are a bit high maintenance, I think you'll enjoy your stay.

The owner asked me, "Do people really read those things on TripAdvisor?" I said, "I think they do more and more. We have so many options and choices to make these days." I promised him that I would write something and I'm afraid that maybe I've written too much! But if you've read this to the end, you must realize that I am sincere.

I hope your visit to Murray is every bit as wonderful as mine was. Some things in Murray never change. The Murray Plaza Lodge has only improved with age.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank GotTheWorldOnAString

Thank you so much for your sincere review. We really appreciate your time and effort in writing this valuable review. Plus, it was delightful to know that there is someone who likes our old red key holder :) Looking forward to your next visit to Murray.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

We just returned from our trip from my son's graduation. All the hotels in the area had been booked months in advance and those that had rooms either doubled their rates or were just expensive so I checked into the Murray Place Lodge. I made my reservations on line and even though there was a bit of a mix-up they called and we worked things out without a problem. The owners were very friendly and accomodating. The place was very quaint, with its ivy covered columns. The rooms were clean and appeared to be freshly painted. There place looked like it had been recently remodeled and we were all more than happy and comfortable with out stay. It was really close to Murray State University and local restaurants. The rooms were much nicer than the Days Inn just across the street. I joined their Facebook group and for doing so, received 20% discount though they also give a discount to MSU parents.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank robinrae3

Thank you very much for your great review. We remember you and your family as very kind and pleasant customers. We are so much honored to have Murray State families like you at our place. Are the ivy branches growing alright?

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Like the last couple of reviews, my wife and I made the 7 hour trip down from northern Illinois to visit our daughter on parents weekend at Murray State. This was the only motel with available rooms so we hesitantly booked one for the weekend. I say hesitantly because we had read the reviews from last year and earlier that were totally negative. But we were extremely surprised and pleased to see that the owners have done a remarkable job in renovating this old fashioned motor lodge. The room was very large and spacious with all new fixtures everywhere, including a ceiling fan, which we loved. The price was very affordable and we were treated very well by the staff. This will be our accomodation of choice for every visit we make to Murray from now on.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hubfan31
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2010

Thank you for this wonderful review. We have been happy for one year since we read your and other MSU parents' reviews last year (sorry for late thanks). We are always happy when we have MSU parents not only because our place is full, but also because of our customers great manners. We are so much honored to have you here.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were having trouble finding a room in Murray for MSU family weekend. I was relieved to find an available room at the lodge. The room we had was totally renovated and had plenty of room. The rooms are smoke-free and the beds are comfortable. And the price is right! I complimented the staff on how nice the place looked. I would easily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and sorry for late thanks. We have always remembered your review since we read it last October. Have you come to stay with us again since then? If so, we really apologize to skip saying "thank you". Please let us know when you come next time and give us an opportunity to say thank you.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at Murray Plaza Lodge for Family Weekend at MSU. I have to admit I was a little leary at first when I booked our room for the weekend because all the bigger hotels were booked. I thought something must not be right for this lodge located so close to MSU to have rooms available. I am so glad we stayed at Murray Plaza Lodge. It was very clean and the staff was very polite. Not to mention, the price was very reasonable. You are able to park right outside your room. No carrying luggage up stairs. I will stay at Murray Lodge the next time I visit MSU.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

We have waited for you so long to say thank you. We were very happy to finally see you again last weekend and have chance to appreciate you. We will always keep our place clean and cozy for you.

Reviewed October 3, 2008

The customer service is awful. My wife is attending to business in Murray Ky the month of October. We were actually in the area the previous month for her to secure lodging. We had reached an agreement on the rate and actually paid cash for the first week with a written receipt. At the end of the first week, she tried to pay for the next week and they attempted to double the rate. She explained that she had a written agreement and they were extremely rude. When I attempted to call the older gentleman that runs the place to politely inquire as to the change, I didn't hardly finish the first sentence, and he became very irritated and vulgar and slammed the phone down. I would never recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank BobIllinois
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murray
Hampton Inn & Suites Murray
Best Western University Inn
SpringHill Suites Murray
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murray
Kenlake State & Resort Park
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 9 in Murray

Been to Murray Plaza Lodge? Share your experiences!