“A Shockingly Pleasant surprise”
Review of Murray Plaza Lodge

Murray Plaza Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Murray
Rochelle, IL
“A Shockingly Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Like the last couple of reviews, my wife and I made the 7 hour trip down from northern Illinois to visit our daughter on parents weekend at Murray State. This was the only motel with available rooms so we hesitantly booked one for the weekend. I say hesitantly because we had read the reviews from last year and earlier that were totally negative. But we were extremely surprised and pleased to see that the owners have done a remarkable job in renovating this old fashioned motor lodge. The room was very large and spacious with all new fixtures everywhere, including a ceiling fan, which we loved. The price was very affordable and we were treated very well by the staff. This will be our accomodation of choice for every visit we make to Murray from now on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hubfan31
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Thank you for this wonderful review. We have been happy for one year since we read your and other MSU parents' reviews last year (sorry for late thanks). We are always happy when we have MSU parents not only because our place is full, but also because of our customers great manners. We are so much honored to have you here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were having trouble finding a room in Murray for MSU family weekend. I was relieved to find an available room at the lodge. The room we had was totally renovated and had plenty of room. The rooms are smoke-free and the beds are comfortable. And the price is right! I complimented the staff on how nice the place looked. I would easily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Thank you very much for your wonderful review and sorry for late thanks. We have always remembered your review since we read it last October. Have you come to stay with us again since then? If so, we really apologize to skip saying "thank you". Please let us know when you come next time and give us an opportunity to say thank you.
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at Murray Plaza Lodge for Family Weekend at MSU. I have to admit I was a little leary at first when I booked our room for the weekend because all the bigger hotels were booked. I thought something must not be right for this lodge located so close to MSU to have rooms available. I am so glad we stayed at Murray Plaza Lodge. It was very clean and the staff was very polite. Not to mention, the price was very reasonable. You are able to park right outside your room. No carrying luggage up stairs. I will stay at Murray Lodge the next time I visit MSU.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
We have waited for you so long to say thank you. We were very happy to finally see you again last weekend and have chance to appreciate you. We will always keep our place clean and cozy for you.
Illinois
Reviewed October 3, 2008

The customer service is awful. My wife is attending to business in Murray Ky the month of October. We were actually in the area the previous month for her to secure lodging. We had reached an agreement on the rate and actually paid cash for the first week with a written receipt. At the end of the first week, she tried to pay for the next week and they attempted to double the rate. She explained that she had a written agreement and they were extremely rude. When I attempted to call the older gentleman that runs the place to politely inquire as to the change, I didn't hardly finish the first sentence, and he became very irritated and vulgar and slammed the phone down. I would never recommend anyone stay here.

• Liked — The agreed price
  • Disliked — The price gouging that they attempted when arriving to actually stay
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BobIllinois
illinios
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My review isn't for the hotel itself. It is for the staff. They are very rude and hateful people. I would never want anyone to have to deal with anyone that would talk over the phone the way they do. Any business that would hire people like this wouldn't be a business I would recommend to anyone. The manager cussed me over the phone and when I called back to get the owners name so I could go to them with my complaint, the front desk lady would not give me their name either.

There is never a reason for anyone to curse at anyone in person or over the phone.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank sherafara
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2007

The Murray Plaza Lodge is a small "motor court" hotel. I stayed there probibly 15-20 years ago when I visited Murray State before attending college there. I don't remember that visit at all - but the place shows its age.

I had called the Holiday Inn express to see if they allowed dogs the guy was rude and said "absolutely NOT" , when I asked if any other hotel allowed dogs - he claimed no others in Murray would allow dogs. (Now I wish I had called them my self after a friend reported seeing a dog at the Best Western!)

So I stopped at the Murray Plaza Lodge located at 506 South 12th street (641) and walked in and inquired if they allowed dogs, I was suprised when she said yes, the rate was $48 and $10 for a dog. Since the room windows were open I asked if they had AC - she said yes. So I booked a room. The staff is very friendly and helpful. When I asked for a non smoking room she said "well they arn't real strict on that".... She gave me a key and when I walked into the tiny space I was almost blown over by the smell of smoke. The sheets were mis matched and there were stains on the bed spread.

I hate to complain but I realized I just couldn't stay in that room. I asked for another room. We had to tour several to find one that had a working AC. This room had 2 beds and the bedspread seemed clean, it was larger than the other room and still had a smell but not as bad. There is no alarm clock. The furnature is falling apart. The AC it turned out didn't work very well. There is a cealing fan. The bathroom was clean.

It did have a nice grass area out front with a few metal tables and chairs.

They are renovating it - and looks like they are stripping each room (which needs to be done!!). The nice employee said it will be all non smoking when they are done.

1 Thank Flatcoatfun
trueoak, Owner at Murray Plaza Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Thank you for your review. We truely appreciate your accurate and informative review for the time we were under renovation. Your review looks very truthful and constructive. As you mentioned in your review, yes! now our rooms are all renovated and 100% smoke-free. But sadly for you, we do not allow pets any more. Actually, most of our customers appreciate that we are the only 100% non-smoking and pet-free hotel in town. We hope to see you again at Murray Plaza Lodge if you come to Murray. Please let us know if you stay with us; we can give you a very nice room tour!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murray
Best Western University Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Murray
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murray
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 9 in Murray
SpringHill Suites Murray
Kenlake State & Resort Park

Been to Murray Plaza Lodge? Share your experiences!