“great campground under new management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morehead
Twin Knobs Campground
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The campground is well maintained and the hosts are very friendly. I saw hosts keeping the campsites clean as well as the fire rings. The new rest rooms are clean with hot showers. this is 1 of the best campgrounds I have visited. I will be visiting this campgrounds again.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Donaldg01

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights again, June 7-10, 2012. Lake level was back down to around normal. Water temp cool, but refreshing. Water was crystal clear in most areas. We could see the bottom in 8-10 ft. of water. Great lake for the jet skis. The lake wasn't too busy. We stayed in Loop H, same site as last year. Lots of shade throughout the day helped keep the tents cooler. The campgrounds were clean, and bathrooms remodeled since last year, with family style facilities, Showers and facility privacy were so much better. Campground was quiet overall, and the weather was perfect. Cool nights, warm, sunny days. We will be back again.

Room Tip: Only some sites are reservable online.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JeffryS
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed @ Twin Knobs Campground April1 to April 4 with our Grandson. Upon our arrival there was not anyone at the front gate but that was not a problem as we just went into area "J" and selected a location. This was a double site as we had a boat, camper and car. the double site was very convenient for our situation. The Camp site was quite falt with two picknic tables.
Every camp site had been totally cleaned of trash and leaves before our arrival. All the roads and sidewalks had also had all the leaves blown off of them.
Bathrooms and showers were modern and clean. But it appears that there could have been additional showers, there was only one for male and one for female.
While I was concerned before our arrival due to a bad review, I found the camp extremely nice and would return.

Room Tip: Area "J" is the closest to the boat ramp if that is of interest. No permit required if you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank PapawMax
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Ive gone to to this camp ground since I was 4 yrs old i'm now 25 and it has changed in the worst way possible in the last 5 or so yrs. I didn't go for a few yrs until last yr and it sucked.
Use to you could pick your own campsite-we camped in the same site every yr all my life- UNTILL last yr, you can NO LONGER pick ur own site. I'm all about leavin nature alone- Not them- you use to be able to walk down to the water where ever you wanted now you have TRAILS to get to the water cause they decided to surround the lake with Rocks you can't walked down, there use to be a deck on top of the overlook mountain where you could have picnicks and take pictures and hangout but not since they tore it down now you jus go and stand ontop of a mountain- What Fun- We use to take family walks when it started gettin dark to see all the deer, I didn't see 1 deer last year compared to the 50-60 we use to see evertime we went, Ive never been so bored on our family camping vacation in all my 21yrs coming here. AND O MY GOD THE BATHROOMS- What is up with those? THEY FLOOD- the floor dont even have a SLIGHT slant in it to keep all the water from the shower from flooding the hole bathroom there's no dry place to stand when u get out of the shower-Dont Put Your Bags In The Floor-. I was 9months pregnant when I was there Oct last yr and I was so excited about takin my son there this yr for his first time NOT AFTER my stay last yr, we will find some place else to start a Family Vaction. They have absolutly taken all the fun out of me coming to this campsite again.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank LaTanya W
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The best camping spot we have found so far. Beautiful with private spots. Very friendly camp hosts. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank AngieS2
Reviewed June 7, 2011

As for the poor review from another camper, I don't understand the complaints. First off, the "camp hosts" on golf carts are probably not employees of the National Park, rather retired folks who camp there for free by agreeing to take care of their "loop". The people at the front gate are park emplyees, and they were friendly. There were (I think) 10 camping "loops", each with thier own camp hosts who are responsible for clean up of the sites, restrooms, etc. Ours were very friendly, and went out of their way to welcome us. They came by one day to let us know the water was going to be turned off breifly for repairs, giving us a chance to fill containers if needed. They came back by shortly thereafter letting us know the water was back on. NO problem. Water is available several places on each loop.
We saw hosts from other loops on golfcarts all weekend; all of them freindly, and made a point to smile & wave as they went down a gravel access road behind our campsite.
A group of campers a few sites down from us had 2 small dogs. They kept one on a chain and another in a small cage. On the first night of our visit, They barked and "yipped" all ight long. At 3:00 am, you could hear a frustrated neighbor yell; "SHUT THE H*** UP!" The next night, I was going to wait til they started barking again, and speak with our camp host, but there was no need. Seems he must have recieved some complaints, and had already talked with them. These campers would take off and leave their pets behind for everyone else to contend with. I blame the IDIOT campers with no regard for the peace and quiet most people are looking for during the camping experience. Noisey kids and dogs should be left at home if they can't be controlled. No one wants to hear your stupid ankle biter bark at each person who walks by your campsite.
The next night, our immediate neighbors had a crying kid that just would not stop sobbing. This was no infant. It was a toddler who had no business being up at 1:00 am. Again, leave the uncontrollable noisemakers at home. Have some respect for your fellow campers. Quiet time is from 10 pm-6 am.
The only other complaint I have is regarding the reservations. We were able to make reservations online through a relatively easy process, although unless you are familiar with the campground, you really have no idea what your site will look like until you get there. Only certain sites are reservable online. Others are on a first come, first served basis. I thought it would be easy enough to check out the site we reserved, and if we weren't satisfied for some reason, we would be able to take another site that hadn't been reserved, or a first come, first served site. Makes sense, right? I mean, a site is a site is a site. Seems you can't do this without forfeiting your first night's reservation fee. They said since the reservations are taken through an outside agency, you can't make a last minute change without encurring penalties. I think that policy is rediculous.
OK, enough of the complaints.....
The campground is very well kept, and we were amazed at how often the bathrooms were cleaned. The camp hosts really do work hard for you. The sites are a nice size, and spaced out enough among the trees to provide excellent privacy. The sites are graveled, so bring a tarp to put under your tent to prevent poking holes in the floor or your air matress. Each site has at least 2 steel poles with hooks for hanging lanterns, etc. Super heavy duty, large picnic tables at each site.
We were told we could gather firewood from the woods as long as it was cut small enought to fit inside the fire ring. (many campgrounds won't allow you to gather wood, they'd rather sell you wood instead). Firewood was for sale at the entrance for $6 per bundle.
The water on the lake was still up big-time from recent rains, although it had dropped by about 12 feet from where it had been. We could see a definite line all the way along the shore where the water level had been up long enough to kill off vegetation. It was still about 10 feet above normal, making boat boarding a challenge, since there was no access to docks. The ramps were decent enough to allow for easy launching. Floating debris made navigating the water a bit tricky at times, and we stayed well off the shoreline, not knowing what hazards lie beneath the water surface.
Zilpo campgrounds was still closed due to flooding, as was the beach and comissary store at Twin Knobs.
All in all, a great weekend of camping, and we will likely return someday. A beautiful 8300 acre lake, similar to Dale Hollow or Cumberland. Don't let one bad review keep you from checking this place out.

Room Tip: some sites reservable online
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
13  Thank JeffryS
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Though the lake and the woods are beautiful, this is one of the worst campgrounds I have ever encountered. It's not the facilities. It's not the sites. It's the people who work there. Atrocious, malevolent senior citizens with golf carts. They made our stay intolerable with their constant nagging; their inability to smile; their anger over the tiniest of infractions in a rule list that stretches further than the campground does (and it's a big place). We are not wild partiers. We are family folks, with kids and our own senior citizens. These people treated us like ex-convicts. I found their attitude poisonous and trip-spoiling. Were I the manager, I would do some mass firing and hire people who actually possess souls, and senses of humor. These employees seem merely content to frown, scold, and wait out their time to die. They made us feel unwelcome, and we will never return.

35  Thank likes_to_camp