“Justifiably, the talk of the town”

Heirloom Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Heirloom Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Midway
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: It's hard to find a soothing palette of beige and cream, much less one whose walls are adorned with whimsical, painting-size "cutouts"; whose backlit bar is simultaneously sleek, warm and inviting; and whose food doesn't allow the design to do all the work. But there's one place. Heirloom is Lexington's small-town neighbor with seriously sophisticated cuisine. Owned by chef Mark Wombles and his father, Henry, the restaurant came out of the gate in 2006 to acclaim. Its standard has remained high, with only occasional slips. Now, however, with Nicolas True blood — formerly of The Mansion at Griffin Gate — as chef de cuisine, Mark Wombles' original vision of using fresh, local ingredients to create Kentucky dishes with a global sensibility and a hint of California influence is being met and exalted.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended; lucky, since it would be easy to overlook this unpretentious storefront in Midway. Once inside, your first impression is likely to be the decor - spare, geometric verticals of a soft, almost-white ivory. The verticals are softened by white, laser-cut paper floral wall hangings above each of the high-backed, tufted ivory booths that flank both sides of the longer-than-wider room. Your second impression is likely to be the other diners - well dressed, discerning-looking individuals sharing conversation over shiny glasses of wine. Then you get to the menu and the food - and notice that each entree seems to promise not just one or two, but a range of flavors..and your impression is that this kitchen is serious about sending you home happy.

It was a cold windy night and I was in the mood for comfort food so I chose the pork chop which stayed perfectly moist even though I'd asked for it cooked through. It came accompanied by a lovely risotto, a few slices of candied pear and some walnuts, and a salad of shaved fennel and aragula enrobed in some of the kickiest gorgonzola I've ever tasted.

Across the table, my sister enjoyed a much lighter entree of sauteed diver scallops on a bed of fried rice and egg, garnished with a cube of pork belly.

My third impression - one that can't be duplicated - is of our visits with the father of the chef (that's how he introduces himself) who makes the rounds in the dining room, chatting with customers and ensuring all a memorable gustatory experience.

There are newer reviews for Heirloom Restaurant

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been to Heirloom several times. This time my experience was very poor. Several friends offered to take me for my birthday. I asked for tea with honey . No honey- I was able to get honey in the past. They did not have some of the entrees. Even though we were there at 12:00 noon! They open at 11:00. My meal was mediocre! Then when it came to ordering a birthday dessert- no desserts! Our sever kept apologizing for the lack of items available! The restaurant should not put itwms on the menu if not available! I was very disappointed in my visit. We were seated in the seat by the front window. The acoustics was so bad. We could hear everyone's conversations except our own. They had music in the back ground that was hard to talk over! I will think twice about going there again!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stopped here toi check it out before bringing the wife back. Service great food above average. Looking forward to having dinner here.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Eat here regularly and it is always good. Wednesday is half price wine night for an extra excuse to go.

1  Thank Bill C
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Before visiting family in Lexington we did some research to look for some great fine dining options. We came across Heirloom and it immediately caught our eye. We decided to try it on a Friday night and it was truly a great dining experience. Heirloom in located in Midway in it's quaint, country downtown strip. Inside, the restaurant is small, modern and cozy. The four of us shared a booth. Overall, the food was very enjoyable. We enjoyed the Caesar Salad and crab cakes for a starter. Two of us tried the beef tenderloin which was delightfully seasoned served with the most unique sweet potato mash....Delicious and a nice change of pace from your typically seasoned meat! (That would be our recommended dish of choice.) I enjoyed the Capellini Pasta with King Crab meat. Another one of our guests enjoyed the fish special. Very good, but on the smaller portion side as many fish dishes often are. The only dish that was just okay was the warm spinach salad. Overall, this was a great restaurant which would hold it's own in any big city! Highly recommend and definitely would return.

1  Thank THEBSTravelers

Been to Heirloom Restaurant? Share your experiences!