“Hit and miss”

Equus Run Vineyard & Winery
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Midway
More attraction details
Owner description: Our winery is nestled on 38 acres surrounded by the meandering South Elkhorn Creek and scenic horse farms. We are open year round with numerous events such as local music, dinner theatre, open houses, and outdoor concerts. Wedding and party rental of renovated tobacco barns is available. Wine tastings and tours daily.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Lexington, Kentucky
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Hit and miss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

If they're tasting in the barn it's a fabulous experience. Also nice in the front tasting room if they aren't crowded, but they usually are. We've left more than once due to the wait. But the barn... now THAT is a treat, and the service is always excellent. Love their events. We belong to the wine club -- decent wine at reasonable prices.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Better than Sonoma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

What this vineyard lacks in size, it more than makes up for in charm. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful. Between the running horses, the outdoor concert stage, the rustic event barn and the charming tasting room, there's really no need to travel to crowded Sonoma for the same experience. The owners are friendly and will likely bump into you on the property. I loved getting to keep my tasting glass as a souvenir. If you go around Derby time, treat yourself to a bottle of their special edition Derby blend. Better yet, host a party here for a truly magical occasion. I wish I lived in Kentucky!

1 Thank Robin P
United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Disappointing visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

As a frequent visitor of Equus Run Vineyards and one of their biggest supporters I had to provide a flip side view of Equus Run and warn groups of more than 4 people that they may not have the best of experiences. And I only do it because in the past, service and politeness has been excellent but I've also only ever been in small groups (2 or 4 people). Our group of seven arrived around 4:00 pm on a Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately April showers had brought a cold front so the patio would be unusable. The small tasting room wasn't overly packed, we waited out of the way for a turn at a bartop. Out of the eight of us, three were cellar club members, three were familiar with the wines and two had never been. Two stood at the counter while the others were directly behind so we could pass the wine glasses and listen to the worker. We weren't loud, we weren't taking over the entire room. We had some snacks that we had brought in case we were able to sit outside but the weather was not cooperating. (and it was good that we had our snacks because any of the crackers, almonds and chocolate drops were kept far away from our side even though a large group was hoarding them at the other end). We had six wines to taste - we were told numerous times we would only have six - and it was started to border on rudeness. One member of our group bought a bottle for us to share and we were told we needed to outside. Even though the tasting room was clearing out and not very full, we were kicked outside by two very rude workers. Needless to say, they did not make a good impression on the two new visitors and have greatly upset three cellar club members (esp after I had spent quite a bit of money on cases on wine just recently). They either need to re-do their tasting room again to account for people (look at Mallow Run Winery in IN to see how they accommodate their guests) or open the barn on weekends where there is more room.

5 Thank kychilehead
Lexington, Kentucky
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Great Wine, Good Service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have been to Equus several times...sometimes for the summer concert series and sometimes just to taste whatever they are bottling currently. I have to say, right now, my favorite is definitely their Cab Blanc (which I bought a bottle of) and the Zin. My friend from CA admitted that it's not the best Zin she's ever had, but she loved their Vidal Blanc and the Riesling The tasting room is quite small and the bar, which fits about 10 people can get quite crowded (especially on the weekends). We were there on Monday just before close. The tasting fee is $2 and you get to keep the wine glass (which is considerably less than what we paid for some tastings in Sonoma). I definitely think Equus is hitting their wine-making stride and their bottles are consistently delicious.

However, having said that....I think that the staff is not quite "southern" enough for me. They are polite, but not friendly and as my friend said "I don't trust anyone in Kentucky who doesn't have an accent." That doesn't affect the wine at all, but it does affect the experience for me. And it might for you, too. The staff will tell you a little bit about the wine (almost like it's been scripted) but then move on to the next taster. Maybe they need more staff? They have every right to be proud of their wine...they stand head and shoulders above the other vineyards in the area....but they still seemed threatened by them. I got a very short, cold answer when I asked the staff about the closing of another local vineyard.

All in all, it's a beautiful drive through Midway, the patio is perfect to sit on and enjoy a bottle, the summer concert series is popular and well-priced, and the wine is divine and affordable. Absolutely worth a trip.

Visited October 2011
Zionsville
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Best winery around Lexington for those who like dry red wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Wine is one of the most subjective beverages that people consume. There are people who only drink dweet fruit wines (and there isn't a think wrong with that!), and there are people who are more serious about their study of wine who have developed a palate to appreciate the dry and semi-dry wines. Equus Run excels at producing these wines, particularly their reds. My husband and I tried every wine on their list (we share tastes), and all were very good to excellent. There is a modest tasting fee, but you get to keep the glass. We brought home three bottles, and learned that their wine is distributed at stores near family members in Louisville. This will give us an additional excuse to go home to visit! This year, the Merlot and Reserve Zinfandel were particularly good. They sell out of each year's production, but these wines should just improve with age if you can keep your hands off of them for that long! If you only like non-grape wines, don't bother stopping by--they don't have any here. However, there are lots of other wineries in the Lexington area that do, so there is something for everyone.

Visited September 2011