“Great Grub - Good Value”

Darlin Jean's Apple Cobbler Cafe
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Midway
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London
“Great Grub - Good Value”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Darlin Jean is Midways casual eating spot. Especially busy for lunch, I find myself going time and time again for my favorite salad - the Coconut Chicken Salad. It is one of my all time favorites and big enough to keep me full for hours. The menu is full of casual favorites from sandwiches to burgers and salads served in a friendly casual setting. Nothing on the menu is pricey, so enjoy the great value this local spot has to offer amongst its pricey and more formal neighbors.

Visited February 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Really nice restaurant with country charm.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Not far from Leestown Road or I64 in Midway, this quality restaurant was a nice change. I took my mother and daughter for Valentine's Day. Our waitress was very attentive, and took care of our few special requests in a professional manner.

My mother had a Reuben sandwich, and baked potato casserole. She ate every bit of it, which was a lot of food for her, and loved it.

My daughter had a hamburger with portabella mushrooms, and french fries. While she finished off her hamburger, and declared it good, it was more well-done than she usually orders. She was also not fond of the french fries, which were fried very crispy to the point that they seemed more of a shell that had the crunch of potato chips. They had a light coating of a garlic and cheese mixture. Personally, I liked them.

I choose the pork chops with a side salad, croissant, potato casserole, and apple cobbler. There was nothing left of my meal, either, although I did share the rather large side salad with my daughter. I absolutely loved the pork chops, which were grilled, a little sweet, and delicious. The potato casserole had a touch too much butter, but it was really good and I would have it again. There was a light honey glaze on the croissant, and it was also very good. I also enjoyed the apple cobbler. All in all, my whole meal was great, and a good value.

I noticed that a woman at the next table had a problem with part of her meal. The manager went out of his way to take care of the problem for her, and tried to make sure that she left happy. As a casual observer I was impressed with the customer service afforded to her.

• Visited February 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
“good food”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Eat there often, the food is good. It isn't my favorite, but the service, price and food sections are all above average.

Visited February 2013
winchester, Kentucky
“I love Midway!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Midway is one of the most charming towns in Kentucky and I have never had a bad experience at any of the restaurants there. Darlin Jeans is no exception. I decided to have lunch there on the way to a business meeting and that was the best decision of the day. I had the coconut chicken salad and it was excellent. Take the short detour off I-64 and sample the goodies at Darlin Jeans.

• Visited January 2013
Portsmouth, Ohio
“Consistently great!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

To me, the test of a good restaurant is if their food is consistently good, and this restaurant does just that. Each time I have been there the food has been fantastic, friendly wait staff, with clean facilities. Their patty melt will take you back to your childhood, before fat calories and cholesterol, the fries are excellent, and the hot browns are fantastic. Every time I'm in the Lexington area I make the trip out to this restaurant because I know I'll be happy with my choice.

Visited December 2012