UnBridled Horse Tours
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Midway
More attraction details
Owner description: They organize custom tours to the bluegrass region
Reviewed April 17, 2013

well its was easter sunday.....and not a creature was stirring ...not even a rental car company....so we eventually found UNBRIDLED Tours and Nancy ...welll we had a great time.....even though 99.5 % of places were closed nancy found cute horse foals/ wines for tasting and even delivered photos back to us when amy wifes camera failed..THANK YOU NANCY

Reviewed April 16, 2013

On a recent trip to the Bourbon Trail my father suggested we try to squeeze in a tour of horse farms. It was terrific. Getting a behind the scenes look at such a unique and historic industry in Kentucky was very educational and exciting. The farms are gorgeous and the knowledge and personalble care give by our guide, Nancy, made the trip truly special. She knows what she's talking about, has a very personal love of the horses and this culture, and knows exactly where to go. I highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have visited family in Lexington a couple of times, and this time we made a spur of the moment decision to try a Horse Farm Tour. Our aunt, Karen, suggested UnBridled Horse Tours which is operated by some tennis mates of hers. We really didn't know what to expect, especially on the short notice we were throwing out, but Hap (Nancy Hapgood) was free that day, and accomodated us. Because there was four of us, Hap met us at the house, and my husband was the driver because we had a bigger vehicle. That kicked off an intimate, knowledge-filled excursion that I will always remember. Although we called at the last minute, Hap lined up a tour to a horse farm that has a swimming pool for rehabilitation, a tour through Hill 'n' Dale Farm to see the resting place of Seattle Slew, and a drive through of Donamire Farm, a 650 acre thoroughbred horse farm owned by Don and Mira Ball. Donamire is widely recognized for its picturesque stone barns with steeply pitched slate roofs, cupolas and spires set among fifteen miles of curving white fences that follow the contours of the rolling hills. Probably my most favorite part was a visit to Darby Dan Farm, a stud farm. We toured the facilities, learned about the breeding process, and watched three beautiful stallions strut their stuff for a prospective mare owner. I am officially ga-ga over Shackleford... if I had a mare and $20,000, he would be my choice. We took a slight detour to visit Weisenberger Mill to satisfy my other passion, flours and cornmeal for baking. We also visited a broodmare farm to see the foals in action (or not, seeing as they all seemed to be napping near mama), then a finale to Equus Run Vineyard for a wine tasting, and purchasing. The tour was personal, full of interesting tidbits, and worth much more than we paid. I highly recommend touring with Martha Martin and Nancy Hapgood of UnBridled Horse Tours.

2  Thank kakin75
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were fortunate enough to arrange a tour with Nancy Hapgood of Unbridled Tours. Nancy took the time to find out what our interests were as a family (beyond my seven-year old's love of horses) and made arrangements that met my daughter's interest and energy level perfectly. We met at Keeneland and then proceeded to visit several sites, including Secretariat's grave, throughout the area. Nancy was very friendly and knowledgable, and was particularly wonderful with my daughter, taking time to talk to her and even gave her several small mementos of the trip. I would recommend her absolutely. This was a wonderful investment that lead to a very memorable vacation.

1  Thank Amy F
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We visited Lexington from Sep 16-19 2010. Our oldest daughter rides horseback and she wanted to see some farms. We had decided not to take the traditionally tours offered by different companies, but to take a personalised tour. On the internet we found UnBridled Horse Tours.
They asked us what we like and what we are interessed in, so they could propose an itenary. Everything was aranged by e-mail and when we arrived at our hotel in Lexington Nancy "Hap", a lifelong rider, educator, and equine enthusiast contacted us to welcome us.
She arranged for us a day we will never forget. We met at Keenland Track Kitchen where she explained what she had planned for us: a privat visit to the Darby Dan Farm, the WinStar Farm and the Audubon Farm. During these visits she told us a lot of interesting things, even for people that are not that interested in horses and she arranged that a manager told us of the little histories of their farm and horses. We ended our tour at the Yearling Sales where we had the opportunity to met the buyers and the sellers.
We appreciated Nancy's charming appearance, whilst her excellent knowledge of the thoroughbred has given us a broader view about her passion.
You can book them for as long as you want and they charge you by the car. We had booked a tour of 3 hours and it was worth every penny.
If we are in Lexington, Ky we definitely will contact her to book an other tour.

3  Thank AmarilisVos