“Stunningly beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing”
The kitchen at The Lainhart Cottage
Additional Outdoor Dining Set
Entrance / Driveway to the Cottages
Picnic Area for Large Groups
An Overlook of the Pond
The landscape between the cottages
Beside The Elwood Cottage / Driveway
The Elwood Cottage
Just the right amount of natural Light. Come take a looksie from the balcony...at The Elwood Cottage
A breakfast nook and laundry room, too!
The Price is Right!
Easy Breezy
Smell the Flowers
Daniel Boone National Forest -- View from the covered patio beside the Hot Tub
Hot tub at The Elwood Cottage
From the driveway beside the Pond   *all photos this listing taken May-Oct. 2012
So colorful!
Beautiful Autumn here at Hisel Valley Retreat
*all photos this listing taken May-Oct. 2012
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
FrankPiet...
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Stunningly beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

My wife and I were looking to get away from our hectic 60+ hour work weeks and hadn't been on a real vacation for nearly 13 years. My wife found this cabin and told me it was time for a vacation. It was the most magical place on earth! Set up in the hills, we went from city to secluded in less than 1/2 hour. We did several day trips to check out different sights including the Natural Bridge State Park (which we almost killed ourselves climbing!), Sanders Cafe, and hiking in the Daniel Boone Forest.

The cabin was amazing! The fully stocked kitchen allowed us to eat in. We grilled dinner every night and enjoyed eating out on the back deck. We spent most nights sitting on the front porch amazed at the quietness and spectacular views of thunderstorms miles away. My only complaint was that the hot tub was so amazing that my wife is now insisting she "needs" one! I had a hard time convincing her to come out of it!

Honestly, we dreaded our week ending! For work-a-holics, weekend getaways we took usually ended up where we couldn't wait to get back home...this was completely different, we didn't want to leave. The cabin felt more like "home" than our own home! We never slept so soundly, felt so relaxed or so comfortable.

Emery and Ella...we cannot thank you enough for sharing your little piece of heaven with us. We cannot wait to come back...and trust me, it will not be in another 13 years! The wife is already planning on visiting again this coming winter!

Liked best: The peacefulness
Liked least: I cannot think of anything, it really was all just what we needed/wanted.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jun 16, 2014
Frank and Wendy are the nicest people, we loved having them here to share our little retreat. We certainly hope that they do come back, we truly enjoyed their company.

Thank-you guys for coming.
Andrea R
Coldwater, Michigan
“Wonderfully Rejuvenating! Very peaceful!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

My husband, I and my 2 year old son, wanted to get away to enjoy some natural beauty and some peace and quiet and this is exactly what we needed. We enjoyed the beautiful surroundings, birds singing, fresh air, beautiful walks. We did not want to leave. The owner Emery was so gracious, he came around and gave my husband and son a ride on his gator and a tour of the property. My son still talks about it, True southern hospitality! We very much enjoyed the hot tub as well, beautiful to sit in and look at the stars, watch the sun rise and through the day! It is a beautiful place and we will be going back again sometime for another visit. Thank you Emery for making our stay such a good one.

Liked best: Beautiful area
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
May 20, 2014
These guests were great. Very nice people, just the kind of people we want, I hope they get the chance to return.
IN
Reviewed April 1, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Apr 1, 2014
Hi Gail, I'm glad that you two enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure meeting you, and sure hope that you can come back.

Thank-you so much for staying with us.
Olive Hill
Reviewed March 23, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Mar 23, 2014
Thank-you Ashley and Michell for staying with us. I certainly appreciate you kind words. Your two night stay was way to brief, and I hope that your next visit will be longer and that we have more time to get to know you two better.

Thanks again, and your always welcome here.
Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
Aff2013
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
“Our Wonderful Return Visit to Hisel Valley Retreat”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

We couldn't wait to make a return visit to Hisel Valley Retreat, after staying in the Elwood for two nights in October 2012. Emery and Ella were again the perfect hosts, and we found the house well-equipped and ready for our visit. We again took in two concerts at Renfro Valley during our stay, but planned one extra night to just enjoy the serenity and beauty of the valley. We were honored to be invited to join Emery, Ella and their friends for breakfast at their campground on Saturday morning...an amazing display of delicious food...cooked, served and enjoyed by a wonderful group of people. Our stay couldn't have been better, and we are thankful to have had the opportunity to make a return visit. Our friends and my husband and I hope to return again as soon as we can. Thank you Emery and Ella!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: Love it all.
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway
WI
Reviewed August 28, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing