See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 6, 2016

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2016

Shortly put...hair in tub, blood on pillow, and no fitted sheet on bed! Housekeeper and maintenance man rude!! No other availability in area or would have not stayed!

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2015

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2015

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2015

Here is an abbreviated e-mail I sent to Days Inn corporate HQ after calling them to alert of a very risky practice. This Motel REQUIRES that you give them your driver's license so they can make a PAPER COPY. Now, they have all of your credit card info (unless you pay cash) plus all of your ID info. Good luck with that!

What is additionally disturbing, the company rep., "Brenda" that I initially spoke with the evening of the attempted stay, was very understanding of the risk involved to both the customer and to the brand. I received three e-mail acknowledgements of my e-mail, all promising that they would investigate further and let me know. The last "let me know" what action was taken was to be June 22nd. We have heard nothing further.

There are other competitive choices in Maysville with friendly accommodating staff that does not ask to copy your person driver's license info. We strongly suggest you stay elsewhere.

This will confirm my conversation with your very nice Customer Service Rep. Brenda regarding the serious security concern and very poor customer service at the Days Inn, 484 Moody Dr., Maysville, Kentucky this date, June 16, 2015.

I phoned the Days Inn, Maysville from the Shell Service Station next door around 5:00 PM to determine if they had a non-smoking King or Queen room available and at what best AARP/AAA/Senior rate. A room was available at an acceptable rate and then I explained we travel with a small registered Therapy/medical service dog. The young lady who took the call had no clue how to respond about the dog. She said they were pet friendly but there was a $10 charge. I explained that no one else charges for service dogs, but we'd take the room and would be there in less than a minute.

Upon entering the reception area, she told me she checked with her manager and that "she" said no charge for Service animals. So far, very good. Then, she asked how we'd pay so I submitted my credit card, and before she ran it, she asked for ID. I showed her my Arkansas Driver's License, and she asked to have it to so she could scan it. I am used to it being scanned into a secure server on the hotel's computer system, but she headed to her copy machine. I asked her to stop and confirmed she intended to make a paper photo-copy and she indeed intended to do that. I told her that I would not agree to that as it would subject me to ID theft. I tried to explain why and that my wife taught ID Theft Prevention classes. This young receptionist turned insulting and rude and refused to listen. I offered several other pieces of picture ID but no, she would not budge so I asked to speak with her manager. She tells me "she will be in at 7:00 AM to 3:00PM". I said I needed to speak with her now. She then calls her, but instead of handing the phone to me, proceeds to tell "her" "this is the man with the dog ...." and proceeded to be very sarcastic in describing the situation. The manager refused to speak to me, and the receptionist turned to help another customer with no apology or other concern for her blatant rudeness.

We were able to quickly find other suitable accommodations for the night at $15 less, and no problem accepting our 13lb. AKC Show Champion Havanese, and highly trained Therapy Dog that is also a medical service dog to my wife.

My wife is a Nationally known, highly respected and honored at the highest levels consumer educator. While on this current trip, we were house guests with LH, Education Specialist with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in DC. As Brenda readily recognized, the practice of making a hard copy of one's driver's license at a motel reception desk, is a very poor idea. Any one who has access to the desk, has access to steal your customers' ID. This not only exposes your customers to financial loss, but exposes your brand to liability and adverse publicity.

Your customers, past and future need to be aware of how they may have been or may be in the future potentially exposed to ID theft. I pray that no one has had their credit card compromised whether due to this practice at this Maysville, KY Days Inn, or otherwise, as I am sure that either way, smart investigation will bring the authorities to your door.

BTW, I am a retired commercial casualty risk, claims and litigation manager. I have wide experience in managing law suits against some of the County's best known hotel chains, and I am a certified fraud investigator.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family